TestOfOath's Happy Place

@Shadey, I don’t want to hijack @TestOfOath’s thread, but on the subject of silica nutes, have you ever tried Botanicare’s Silica Blast? It’s quite a bit cheaper per gallon than the Grotek, and the suggested use calls for the same amounts per gallon. I’m hoping you’ve tried both and prefer Grotek due to superior results. In which case, it’s easy to justify the cost difference.

@DannyTerpintine, do you know the amount per gallon of that powder?

6 Likes

No not tried that one, probably because the grow shop doesn’t have it. I will look for it the next time I need some, it will be soon, only got a small amount left. Cheers for the heads up, I like saving money :+1:

5 Likes

Ah - excellent! I’ve used Botaniare’s Cal Mag Plus for many years and know their stuff to be consistently good. I hope you do give it a try and report back. However - I might beat you to it!

5 Likes

Mix ½ to one (1) tsp per gallon … it lasts a long time!

4 Likes

Thank you. And they sell a pound for $28. I do like the idea of it not having K in it, so I don’t have to worry about any conflict with my other nutes (soil or hydro).

Might be interesting to do side by sides of your powder and the Botanicare Silica Blast :thinking:

6 Likes

definitely would be a cool experiment!

there’s about 96 tsp in a lb… so that $28 should cover 96 gallons! Not sure how far a bottle of botanicare would go? I’ve tried general hydro’s silica before as well, was pretty decent.

Not sure if you guys have seen these dudes? They claim to be the best, but they’re very pricey! SILICIC ACID - Plant Available Bioactive Silicon - Elite 91

5 Likes

One gallon is 768 tsp, and the suggested rate is 1 tsp/gal. That makes the Botanicare and the Grotek downright cheap by comparison to the powder…

4 Likes

oh dang :sweat_smile: …don’t see why one would go with the powder then. Botanicare is pretty cheap!

Do you know if it’s a different type of Silica compared to the powder? And/or compared to Elite 91? :thinking:

4 Likes

I use RAW nutrients silica powder, mainly cause Amazon ships it straight to my house and I don’t gotta go to the grow store for the billionth time :joy: probably not as cost effective as what you guys are talking about but my little 8 oz bag makes up to 800 gallons at 1/8th - 1/4 teaspoon per gallon for 40$ (though I’ve been doing full teaspoons per gallon through these last few weeks of PM). I may have lied seems I got it straight from their npk industries website… Still delivered to my house though :joy:

7 Likes

RAW is good. I always thought it was from more growing in water. Adding silica. Be 52 and piranha that is what I use. For strong roots and stands. Nirvana also I believe

3 Likes

yeah that’s pretty similar to the powder I was talking about. RAW is a solid brand too, can’t go wrong with that! :100:

5 Likes

Weird they say it has no K, but then has a 0-0-5 NPK value… :thinking:

5 Likes

I saw that too…

Their description says this:

" Other product highlights:

Product composition: 65% silicon dioxide, 5% potash. Product is an organic silica and has a neutral pH."

5 Likes

I believe both Silicon Dioxide and Potash contain some potassium, but I could be wrong on that.

oh, I guess they’re saying it’s not a potassium silicate, but that it does contain potassium.

5 Likes

My feeling as well but for a ‘quick fix’ in soil… it works!

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Bugbee says the trichomes of the plants are manufactured from mostly silica and that it will strengthen the walls of the plant cells. As for eliminating powdery mildew - he says that it doesn’t work.

3 Likes

I read all the time about it. I have used it. I see it in the grow stores. The last nutrition kit had silica. It also killed 14 plants. About as many clones. But there’s more than that story though. Do I believe the product was good yes what I received was a promo package sold to me at full cost. There was no telling what was in there. Basically I was robbed by my grow store guy.

4 Likes

I did not know that and even have some but thought it was only for a wetting agent. I learn something new every day here.

7 Likes

Potassium controls water uptake in humans too, that’s why people eat bananas when they get cramps and dehydrated.

5 Likes

That makes total since.

:green_heart: :seedling:

4 Likes