The Canadian Contingent (Part 1)

Very positive way to look at it @lophophora.ca

1 Like

:sob:

Purple = colder than -27c

4 Likes

Those newer energy efficient furnaces suck mines shit the bed twice now in 15 years . First repair 600.00 about 4 years back and this fall blower motor assembly can’t just change out the motor needs a whole ducting system and control module 1400.00 that round.

My old house 35 plus years same furnace a 100 dollar blower motor couple fan belts .oh and a couple of thermal couplers.

7 Likes

Mine is built in '67… and it’s ELECTRICALLY HEATED :rofl:

Sure y’all have issues if your furnace hiccups but if there’s a power failure you all still get to stay warm… no power in winter is a slow creeping death in my household filled with things that need thermal regulation like our Parrot and Lizard. :sob:

That and the sub-pump that needs to run every 8 hours in the basement needs power. So I set a timer when power cuts so I can assure the bucket brigade occurs or there’s an indoor pool to be dealt with.

Stay warm folks!

5 Likes

Sounds like you’d benefit getting a gen set wired in for the times the power goes out .

I’m considering buying a natural gas fired one that’s wired to the necessities to stay warm and still survive a outage. Pretty sure I’d have to build a insulated box so it would start in -40 weather though.

5 Likes

That’s a dream I cannot afford right now. :confused:

Living in Toronto though I’m lucky enough to have enough safe spaces to take the animals in a pinch but my plants are another story. They’d all get put together in one room sealed up with a candle with ceramic “heater” and as many :crossed_fingers: as possible.

3 Likes

The subway is generally warm.

4 Likes

There definitely not cheap to buy I’ve got a couple on wheels gas powered they work in a pinch but a pain in the ass to run cords into the house plus keep full of fuel . That’s why I’d do the natural gas model seldom does the gas line go down .

1 Like

Added expense for me would be to have to then have the natural gas line installed :rofl:

1 Like
2 Likes

Gas is okey just would fab up a bigger tank tap in a 25 gallon tank just so you’d get more than a 6/8 hr run before it runs out.

1 Like

I would love geothermal. Something actually sustainable.

Ultimately I’d want to go with an array of these + solar on the roof one day:

Living so close to Lake Ontario, and near the Scar. Bluffs there’s always free wind power just no way to catch it… yet.

4 Likes

I am just about to have a go at building one of those from a 30gal plastic barrel. I am researching bearings, belts, chains and cogs atm. I have several motors ranging between 3/4 and 5 HP depending on which one the barrel will turn at the highest revolutions.

3 Likes

No power = no blower motor, or burner controls and still no heat , never known of a furnace that doesn’t need power to run

3 Likes

Only way to stay warm here in a power outage is the nat gas fireplace which has a spot to put batteries for the ignitor, its radiant heat only (no forced air/fan)but will keep the edge off. Wood stove would be nice but insurance rates skyrocket soon as you get one of those

2 Likes

24v highway tractor alternators have always been appealing to me as the generator end, could be used with a wind or water turbine

1 Like

-47C last night.
It’s so cold out my rottweiller is having a real hard time even going outside to do her business. She starts walking funny as her feet get too cold. Poor girl. I tried getting her to wear sled dog booties for the winter temps but she is 74 kilos with really big teeth and she flatly said “no fuckin way are you putting those on me again”… LOL I put a dog sweater on her once and she just stood there stiff as a board and wouldn’t move, wouldn’t sit… she just put her ears back and froze like a statue. Show her that sweater and she starts growling hahaha.
but ya… it is down right frigid out there. On the bright side it is supposed to be around -10 and snowing for christmas

hey… off topic… are there any Canadian Veterans in this here Canadian Contingent?
Veterans giveaway donations - Overgrow.com

5 Likes

Woah that’s sooo cold wow I can’t even imagine temps that low

1 Like

I didn’t know this as I don’t have one as a reference! :rofl:

Yeah its the storing of the power that’s always thrown me off. I recal Tesla working on the House powering Cells that live on a wall in your garage but I stopped dreaming considering the start-up costs. :man_shrugging:

*FUUUCK!**. 100% NOPE to that. Our Celia uses pee pads when it’s cold, wet or snow. We learned te hard way that she will hold it no matter what until she finds a place inside to go so no longer wanting surprises we just make sure she knows there’s a designated place for her to go if she can’t make it outside.

2 Likes

Uh oh. Looks like they are starting to crack down on this a bit.

Perhaps this will make Health Canada realise that their calculations for this programme are hopelessly unrealistic?

The “grams per day” on your prescription also influences how much cannabis you are allowed to possess/store in your home at one point (3 months supply x your daily prescription), which if you’ve ever had a decent grow before, you know can easily be exceeded by only a couple of plants.

It’s still embarrassing that you have to go through Health Canada to be legit at all in the provinces that don’t let you grow for personal use.

7 Likes