The Canadian Contingent (Part 1)

Sad this closed… and so recently :sob:
Toronto slit it’s wrist and sat down in a filled bathtub a while ago… it’s just waiting to bleed out.

1 Like

That was what the video I posted is about.

How the spots we all made memories get replaced with shopping malls and parking lots.

2 Likes

with all the same stores too…

1 Like

I HATE how everywhere in North America is trying to look exactly the same as everywhere in North America. Same stores, same restaurants, same coffee shops, blah.

3 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like

I remember our 4th or 5th trip to Costa Rica and saw a Pizza Hut and said to my wife “Here’s comes the downfall of this country” Didn’t take long before Walmart/McDonalds and all that other garbage moved in. Went to what was a sleepy fishing village and they had built condos there.

Some people don’t realize you’re destroying what made the place so cool.

5 Likes

Speaking of T.dot back in the day…

bring the noizzzeee!!!

I was in such a village in Guatemala. To put it into context the day I was leaving they were putting the first glass windows and air conditioning into the mayors house.

I googled the place now and it may as well be Cancun. Very sad.

2 Likes

There was a guy handing out timeshare pamphlets when we came into town, he tries to hand me one and I told him “You’re ruining your country y’know?”

1 Like

These things have a lifespan. Too good to stay sleepy, it had everything going for it.

My favourite crown land spot is dead too.

1 Like

Ya, my brother is up on the Bruce…when you need to make a reservation to go to the Grotto you know things are getting sad.

Where was your crown land spot (I don’t need specifics, just area…or not)

3 Likes

It’s ok man it’s dead anyway.

Queen Elizabeth II Wildlands on the east side.

It was awesome until it got discovered and now it’s all discarded cooler grills and other trash and wall to wall people.

It was a perfect combo of just the right amount of challenging hike to picturesque empty lake. Not anymore.

4 Likes

I know the area…still lots of wilderness there but ya, it’s gone down from what it was.

1 Like

If you had a canoe the area could still work out for you but forget the ganaraska trail which for me was part of the appeal.

The park is huge but it’s because it’s mostly unbuildable swamp.

Can’t find a quiet spot within a 4 hour drive of here.

1 Like

How I used to find my “grow pots”

Look for somewhere noone wants to walk.

3 Likes

Apparently illegal grows are, or were at least, a big problem.

If you’re willing to hike into the middle of nowhere there are countless spots. Beaver dams, wick system, osmocote…just thinking out loud not that I’ve ever done that.

5 Likes

Oh me neither :innocent:

2 Likes

we used to pick the trees that were spotted throughout the farmers fields. You could still see them when the corn got too high. Not too busy of a spot either. lol

2 Likes

We used to use the overgrown gardens of condemned houses as cover.

3 Likes