The Canadian Contingent (Part 1)

Yes I use a small electric for cutting branches. It’s a pole saw that detaches so handy if your near an outlet.

4 Likes

stihl or husqvarna, go with closest dealer. the rest are toys. Both make homeowner sized units. Just wouldn’t be right… a Lumberjack named Sequoia shouldn’t own a battery operated POS from China…they don’t even have trees there eh.

7 Likes

Husqvarna or Stihl are the only real options, father has 3 or 5 of the former just cause different sizes displacement wise for different jobs and different length bar setups.

And a chainsaw is dangerous regardless if electric or gas, precautions must always be taken as the last thing you want is a blade that grabs and kicks back into you severing an artery in a ripped up fashion.

7 Likes

Ran saws for a living for many years here on the PNW coast, as the last few posts from my northern brothers, there really is only 2 brands worth considering Husky (Hisqvarna) or Stihl. IME Stihl don’t mind the cold start (if you plan on running below 10 C), parts and service are widely available, the caveat is that cheaper (consumer-grade) saws have a lot of plastic components that fail under tougher use and why professional or commercial saws often have a bit tougher build quality but cost more from both companies. Huskys are my preferred saw, but they hate cold starts and will take multiple pulls and choke to get going in cold temps and they don’t like sitting without fluids (no saws do). I relied on my saws every day for several back to back to back seasons my huskys never let me down, I did have issues with some of stihls the plastic components due to the rough nature of the work, not necessarily because of build quality.

6 Likes

Just pack a little ether for the Huskys they don’t let you down…
Mine are so old they don’t have chain breaks LOL

Cheers
G

6 Likes

I only fuck with Stihl.

Not a professional but I grew up with a wood boiler as the primary source of heat. Have cut way too much wood in my life.

5 Likes

Husky , Stihl , and Echo all make top notch saws. Unless you work on them yourself go with the one that offers best dealer support near you .
I have both Husky and Stihl in various sizes from 50cc up to my 395 XP .

Electric is fine if you are near a power source and the battery ones are not worth the money yet . Always wear chaps , saw boots , helmet with face shield and hearing protection . I also always wear gloves , even in warm weather , because of how much my hands sweat.

This is a glamour shot of my big saw with the ultra sexy Cannon bar on it .

I mainly use the 395 for milling

4 Likes

Actually electric are far more dangerous to use . They have great torque and can kick back and jump/skid/throw real easy . Especially due to their lack of weight compared to a gas one.

3 Likes

Hola Gang

I used a Partner in the 70’s
when I had my farm today
I have a Poulan same Co different
name.

You guy make me feel young at 66

Enjoy the day

Bare

8 Likes

Thank you all :joy: for the helpful responses.

(internet pic)

My father’s 1970-something Stihl 020AV still screams up to 14k RPM but the spur gear is more toothless than I am :rofl: and finding 1/4"-pitch chain seems to be a hassle. (?) I overhauled it for him a few years ago and it’s still basically all OE.

:+1:

But it’s time for me to initiate a new generation & go plunk down some :dollar: for my own.

@JoeCrowe - I appreciate the idea of electrics for some work but for the occaisonal heavier work & portability, the dirty old 2-stroke is necessary for me. :slight_smile:

:evergreen_tree: “stumpy”

4 Likes

If you have been swinging that one around you’ll love the weight difference of the new ones.

5 Likes

If you aren’t cutting a lot of big stuff I highly recommend a Stihl MS 261 . Other then the new fuel injected i500 , it has the best power to weight ratio going and is a very reliable pro model saw .

If you don’t want to dish out the cash for a pro model saw I would recommend the Husky 445 Mark II . I run mine with an "18 bar and have been amazed at how well that cheap little homeowner saw has held up after almost 700 hours of use now.

5 Likes

I second the ms261 best value overall imo.

6 Likes

Also the one I have as well. Got a longer bar for when I was cutting larger trees but back to the regular bar on it now.

3 Likes

speaking as a user of said chainsaw… electric chainsaws stop the instant you release the on switch(deadman) and also it will stop if the chain gets stuck. You used one before?

I am not about to argue facts with you . I was just pointing out that you were giving someone advice that actually wasn’t true. In fact it is the exact opposite of what you said . It is not my opinion . They are well known to be more dangerous then gas for the reason I gave.

Have a good day .

I guess the answer is no, then, you have never used one. You could have at least copped to that.

I’ve used a shitty one. It was safe. :blush:

:v:

:evergreen_tree: :beers:

3 Likes

I use one of those popsicle stick switchblades attached with a rubberband to cut my trees.

2 Likes

LOL

It is hilarious that you feel the need to speak about something you clearly know very little about.
Again I will point out that what I said is very very well known to anyone who has actual chainsaw experience.
You seem to have zero issue with giving someone bad advice that could actually get them hurt . Congratulations. It is also hilarious that you think kickback happens in such a fashion that you have time to remove your finger from the trigger . That notion makes it very clear that you do not know what you are talking about and have very very limited experience using any type of saw.

Myself using or not ever using an electric saw has nothing to do with you not knowing what you are talking about.
Goodluck with your issues

3 Likes