The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

6 Likes

Not allowed. Not allowed. I’ve told Mrs Foreigner many times. They kick you out of the country if you sing it.

5 Likes

Fist pumping intensifies.

5 Likes

I’ve been doing the same tune with different countries -

“Burkina Faso do do do do”
“Cameroon do do do do”
“Honduras do do do do”

It’s not the same.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Smoke Report Highland Oaxacan Gold via Upstate

The smell doesn’t jump out of the jar but when I grind some up that’s when the lemon and fresh cut wood smells emit. Also getting some sweet floral notes here and there. It’s definitely great work weed and keeps me focused on one task at a time through completion. No issues with anxiety or uncomfortableness. It gets a bit dreamy if I dose on the higher side but still no anxiety issues. It does seem to be a slight creeper for me. I take 5-6 hits off the vape and it feels like I could use some more but by the time I get the vape packed again it hits me and I’m good.

I really should have been picking buds earlier to test out along the way for comparison but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. Damn you self control! I do have some outdoor clones going though so I will be testing those throughout the fall before final harvest. Thanks again @Upstate for the opportunity to grow these!

31 Likes

Tropical Red from Energenetics Old World Farm

The seeds were gifted by the very generous @highminwin Thank you again!

This is a cross of Honduras X Panama Red. Flowering time should be 12-14 weeks so roughly early November is what I’m expecting here at 34°.

The Honduras is sourced from Ace Seeds and the Panama Red from a “private collector”.

From the site description:

Tropical Red brings together two top notch heirlooms from Central America. This is one of the best representatives of the best Central American landraces. Very old school sativas at their best.

This tropical variety is mostly sativa and extremely vigorous. It is very branchy and will grow monster size plants given the right conditions. Stems grow thick and strong holding up large fluffy buds on elongated colas. Resistant to drought, it prefers hot arid conditions and does well in a desert type setting. It is also highly resistant to fungi and thrives in the northwest.

The aroma is like sweet lime with some being more herbal and skunky with hints of chocolate. The smoke is smooth and refreshing, making you want more and more. There is no ceiling so you just keep floating higher and higher.

24 Likes

Nice chunky Oaxaca. Thanks for the smoke report. Have you let the bud cure or did you get right into it like I do? I just harvested a similar looking pheno, but it has OSS type buds closely packed together and that Frankincense smell I love.

Haven’t smoked any yet. Chopped last night. Hoping its good!
Her half sister, The skimpy “Miss Ridiculous”, is epic smoke. It has a delicious taste that starts fruity and changes with the exhale into an equally delicious indescribable taste. Honestly i don’t imagine any will get the chance to cure. I love it. Very very potent. I’d put it against any hybrid. Looks just like Old Silversides but with larger flowers (due to bigger container?)
Tip for string of pearls flower harvest using the grip and strip method…if you grip the base of a stem with two fingers and slide them towards the tip while still gripping and you do this before the weed is so dry the resin flies off, the pile of calyxes will stick together like actual buds. I’ve been making pipe size balls of calyx’s and it works great! The balls hold together well once dry, like a regular bud.

20 Likes

Flowering from seed my transplant schedule will be adjusted for next round. Keeping container size small and flowering from seed really affected the yield. I think I got three times as much off the same phenotype using a 3-week veg. Maybe 4x. I’m still going to try flowering from seed but I will go straight into a 5 gallon at the 3-week Mark and see how that goes. All of the plants are about 3 ft tall maximum using multiple container size transplants like I did using a 3-week veg. I think the plants need to be cut loose flowering from seed and allowed to do their thing a little bit more.
I am no longer afraid :rofl::joy:

11 Likes

That’s EXACTLY how I did mine. Forgot to suggest that. :+1:

6 Likes

I was going to ask what you did differently, almost looks like a different plant. :joy: definitely going to get some started early next year.

4 Likes

That’s not miss ridiculous, but a daughter of old silver sides. It was the only short plant I had this round.

this is Miss Ridiculous
Still skimpy but much larger flowers than Old Silversides

16 Likes

She does look sticky! Yes much larger flowers.

3 Likes

Incredible plant in every department but yield. Hopefully I can do something about that before I die of old age lol. Each year I hope the buds get a little bigger. Maybe by the time I’m done working with it it will have actual flowers in abundance. Next summer this plant will be grown as a tree. I want it large enough that I can get 6 months smoke from it. I’ll have to build a small Greenhouse for it because I can’t manage lifting more than 10 gallons of soil and I’ll have it in the ground. Can you imagine!? Damn my mouth is watering thinking about it! I’m going to start this gal in February!

8 Likes

I really do need to try flowering like you have with those. I’m surprised they keep on flowering after you let them go.

2 Likes

What do you mean? Force flowered til the end…
I still haven’t tried flowering for a month or two and then leaving them out in the natural light after September 1st. I think they would still keep flowering. They will definitely flower on a 13/11 cycle

This is another pearl pheno. Found half a dozen nice ones.

14 Likes

Yeah you know I love to see the whole plant. lol I think it’s the only way to get a yield from these that’s a fair reward for the wait.

3 Likes

Ah ok. I thought you just did light dep until they were in full flower and put them out. Couldn’t understand why they didn’t reveg. :joy: I MAY be stoned.

2 Likes

@GREANDAL That’s what I do with the males and they keep flowering and then finally Reveg. It’s probably what you are thinking of . It works for every strain I have tried it with. Once the males start to drop some pollen I leave them in the natural light which was about 16 hours this time. They continue to drop pollen for another two or three weeks before stopping and beginning vegetative growth again. Great way to do it. Lazy man farming. I’m sure it would also work with females but you would have to do it when the days are shorter. I’m not sure how long of a day they can handle and continue flowering. Snow High has mentioned that once females are past the halfway point they will continue flowering outdoors in the springtime as the days lengthen. You would have to ask him when he picks these plants and how long the days are at Harvest Time but it sounded like it could have been sometime it may or even June. I don’t know what latitude he lives at

5 Likes

Ok yes I remember that now. So I assume you set them out every morning 12 hours from sunset rather than bringing them in early?

1 Like