The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

@Upstate I got three of the Oaxacan’s you sent wet this week, two were quick to shed their hulls and break the surface, third looks to be right behind them. Quick and easy germination was a nice treat. Didn’t give em anything special, just a Diluted H2O2 soak for 24-36 hours within which they all popped tails. They went direct into 2” pots of my seedling soil mix and 2 broke the surface by the next morning. These little babies are excited to grow!!

It was a nice contrast to my recent attempt to get those Nepali’s from the landrace exchange to pop, to no avail. I threw everything I had at em over a months time. I tried sanding, soaking, ewc beds, soaking w aloe, drying, soaking again, paper towels but nothing budged. Cracked a couple fully open and they looked like there was a little sprout potential in there, but those didn’t survive. I did wind up w four left that still look fine, they just are not doing anything:(

6 Likes

I gave mine diluted nutes about 3/4 the way thru a few times and they seemed to have liked it. Mostly water tho for OsT

3 Likes

You could try cracking them on purpose. Khalifa recommend it for (I think) Siberian Ruderalis. There is even a video somewhere.

3 Likes

Yeah it wasn’t on my list just now, but I did also crack em each.

2 Likes

Ah ok, I thought you only did it in the end. I think I misunderstood. I guess there is not much more you can do than all you tried. :frowning:

2 Likes

Hi all…
A classic “Michoacan Talibana hybrid”

29 Likes

Ah yeah @allotment, I just meant that in the end of the six that survived and I was able to keep track of over the month, I ultimately split a couple open completely to have a close look at the insides. I was expecting it to be hollow or brown goo, but they weren’t, they were very pale tiny curled up looking sprouts. So I’m stumped.

4 Likes

that thing is sweet looking

2 Likes

Looks good, what kind of odors are you getting off her so far?

2 Likes

Surprised how narrow this one grows. It would be great for close plantings.

3 Likes

Nice. They usually pop with no soak within 24-48 hours. You can thank the indigenous farmers and Cryptic Labs for that. Regions like Nepal or the Himalayas in general are wet and loaded with feral plants, both of which make germination tough. I’ve been looking into ways of improving germination. Seed cracking is near the top.
For seeds from areas with a true winter, freezing the seeds first can help, followed by planting in good soil and then using wet/ ( nearly)dry cycles. Back and forth, like outdoors. They are tough for sure. I had 2/100 lolab valley sprout the year after i planted them.

5 Likes

again, one Icmag-member reported having a Swamp-strain from Columbia , stemming from Swamplands. And alltho he had germination, they all died early. he looked up soil charts, imitated Soil, and tadada: it finally grew.

4 Likes

I wonder if Punto Rojo and Panama Red are the same, or have the same ancestry. Colombia and Panama border each other.

1 Like

I tried to get some Lolab Valleys to sprout last spring but it was no go…

2 Likes

Well, the Punto Rojo was collected by Charlie Garcia of Cannabiogen many years ago. It is supposed to be a three way I believe of Colombians. It certainly looks the part…here is the writeup for them:

"I must thank as well to you and to all friends who helped me to explore different lines and sources. It took more than 2 years to select some non hermi plants representative of Punto Rojo from 3 different places and ages, from highland purple to green phenos, from central/south to northern Sta Marta Punto Rojos.
Punto Rojo is very hard to obtain nowdays non hybridated, it was one of best representative Colombians very well known in spanish spoken countries if compared with Colombian Reds, quicker lines, and better known for others
Thx Pablo for growing them, were untested yet. They are back in your country where it should express like home, how not So glad they are working fine in first instance in sex department. Enjoy and try and save seeds for future.
Lets us know how they perform
Cuidate y gracias por el post pana
kaiki

7 Likes

Oaxacan Gold week 4 under 12/12 lighting since germination. One of the late addition seedlings dampened off so 4/6 survived.

Added a little soil to their solo cups but otherwise just giving them a bit of water each day. Looks like it’s time to pot them up to 1gal today. I was going to wait to see the root structure to see if 1 qt would be fine but visually it doesn’t seem much larger that the solo cups and I don’t have any half gallon containers.

I was also thinking of topping them to keep the height manageable indoors but I can’t help but notice that no one else seems to top their sativas here.

They are all looking fairly similar to me so far. Nice and healthy except for an aphid infestation I’ve been battling.

This one below :arrow_heading_down: just starting showing pistils so hopping it’s a girl :grimacing:

This late addition is only about a week and a half behind the others but the growth appears to be so much slower. :arrow_heading_down:

14 Likes

When I get to the Jalisco’s, they are ALL getting topped. I don’t want to stress out.

They look so happy @deeez99 :hugs:

8 Likes

I did this. It didn’t work. I’ve resorted to cutting off tops.

4 Likes

Rofl / OH NO!!!

This is why I’m going no larger than 1 gallon pots, and gonna re-arrange my 4x4 so all the filters and exhaust fans are now OUTSIDE of the tent so I can use as MUCH head room as possible. :+1:

Watching your hazes grow @Foreigner is an inspiration in your perseverance :fist:

6 Likes

Thank you! You can see I took a page from your book on turning the solos into airpots, has worked out much better for me.

I’ll have to go catch up on your thread but it sounds like you topped your plants early but they still stretched too far up and then had to cut flowers off?? Ouch!

4 Likes