The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

Yeah. Usually I wait until sexual maturity and then flip. This is my indica strategy.

Starting from clones is probably a good idea but I just sort of went for it this time.

I’ve had to cut tops off other plants before but this is by far the craziest. It’s ok though, I expect I’ll just end with chunky lowers which is fine too.

It just feels wrong to cut off potentially huge colas but ive got no choice at this point.

8 Likes

Hit me up with a message.
The short pheno of Red Snake definitely comes from the short Oaxaca Phenos. Looks incredibly similar. You’ll love pure Oaxaca. I’ve had nothing else like it so far…but always looking!

7 Likes

How short is short for Oaxaca?

2 Likes

Mine was about 4 foot tall in a quart sized container when I chopped it.

8 Likes

This last small un topped #6 Red Snake plant was only around 2 feet tall, maybe 30 inches, and that’s with the vigorous Punto Rojo in the mix. I find I can keep a lot of these sativas smaller just by restricting roots and topping/ training. It’s just that a few may be slender non stop jungle vine phenos, so it’s a matter of selection…

8 Likes

I’m growing a wild Durban in a tent 2ft high. Topped and flopped a lot, but everything is possible. :laughing: The small Red Snake I could have pulled off without training. :exploding_head:

4 Likes

Bodhi Zipolite Oaxacan. It looks sativa dominant but I’m not sure it’s pure. Still, a very reasonable plant and reports are positive on it.

17 Likes

Couple more of the #6 Red Snake…musky, minty fuel aromas.

15 Likes

Michoacán Preservation Run

Hello all,

This summer I will do a small scale preservation run of the Michoacán seeds I have, and wanted to ask for insight along the way.

I have only 5 seeds of the B-5 #10 unworked Michoacán seeds from Snow, I also had 5 seeds of the D-5 #10, however in sending them to myself in Mexico, they got lost in the mail :frowning:

I will be growing indoors, under 480W of 4000K LED, in organic supersoil. 3x5 foot growing space. My plan is mainly to make seeds, but also leave some flower to smoke.

I had a few questions I wanted to ask you guys, for guidance:

1. What would be the maximum amount of plants I could fit under that 3’ x 5’ growing space, and 480W LED, to successfully do a preservation run? Minimum size pots to do so?

2. If I have 5 seeds of the B-5 Michoacán, would crossing them to itself provide too little genetic variability?

If anyone has any pure Michoacán they would like to have crossed with the B-5 unworked Michoacán line from Snow, please let me know, if I can fit enough plants in there maybe it would be good to have some genetic variability, and I would share the seeds I’d make.

14 Likes

18 inches to 2 feet if you use small containers until the stretch is done. Too small this way imo. Next round I’ll use bigger containers for this phenotype. The big ones top out at 4 feet tall and wide with folding and early topping.

4 Likes

The Freaker’s are waiting to hear from Snowhigh regarding Michoacan seeds. It would be nice to run them at the same time if possible. Sorry to hear about those lost seeds. Perhaps we can work together to make up for it. @YoBigdaddy expressed interest in running this one.
Its no problem to grow 5 plants in your space. They will fill it for sure, but could fit twice that number (but it will be very very cramped.) Plan on finishing in 2-3 gallon pots, flipping the plants to 12 12 with little or no veg cycle. Going from a solo cup to 1/2 gallon, then 1 gallon until stretch is nearly over and into 2 or 3 gallon til the finish.

There will be good variability even with just a few plants but they will get inbred depression quicker than if more plants were used. So, make a shit ton of seed for a lifetime of growing to be safe.
Welcome to OG😁

11 Likes

Supposedly the line of Michoacan seed that I have is not related to the Snowhigh stuff, but it’s always so hard to know in the murky seed world. But it looks like it might be dark purple, almost black in color when ripe. We shall see, if I can ever get any of these beans to pop.

10 Likes

This is Snowhigh’s Michoacan line - (not my grow)

17 Likes

Snowhigh’s Suroeste (AC Gold x Michoacan) :

14 Likes

For fun some rare Purple Mexican Landrace :

28 Likes

That’s the line I have that I’m trying to pop right now. That purple one looks great.

8 Likes

I also have some Torreon x Michoacan from Snowhigh …

7 Likes

What is Torreon?

2 Likes

In Mexico - central / northern area

4 Likes

Torreón is a very Northern city no central
I got very good Friends there and I can’t imagine where the landraces can grow there, all is just pure desert. Really dry environment

8 Likes