The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

yeah it is not pine not too fruity either, it seems to have a unique smell. very strong, it was shorter with a lot of bush, still gave me a good stretch as well.
herbally, earthy it is hard to put the fingers on for smell though

2 Likes

Punto Rojo Red Hair Pheno

30 Likes

The slow OST come down…

Some fruitiness, a little pepper. Things I would expect from Thai. More sticky than oily unlike the faster pheno. Much weightier buds.

F2s

27 Likes

So I found a little pollen sac on a female Oaxacan. Normally if this happens it’s just a few that show up on the lower branches during flower and I’d pluck them off, finish flowering, and do not breed anything with it.

In this case I really want to breed for seeds which I’m still planning to do even just for my own stash. The question I have though, is this acceptable for landrace having one or two pollen sacs? I’d of course love to share the seeds with a disclaimer but is that even a good idea since someone else may breed with it and then share it. Just trying to grasp proper etiquette with these landrace strains. Thanks!

6 Likes

Wait and see if its the only male flowers. Sometimes they go away. Along the main stem early only is ok i think but I’m no expert. Could you have done something to make it unhappy? These are sensitive for sure. I didn’t have one herm early like that but @GREANDAL did. He fought to keep it. You’ll have to ask him if it was worth it. That’s the only oaxaca?

4 Likes

Huixtepecs. Looking good. The 2 plants pinched together up above just sexed as male. 2nd photo up is one of them.

15 Likes

Definitely warn ( and label “hermie” if it is.) people if you pass out some seed. Unless its a really special pheno to you i think you’ll find better more stable plants to make some seeds with( to pass out) Keep a close eye on it and hope it behaves.
( Old Silversides throws a few pods at the end of flowering and will get real pissy if you change lighting during flowering. Still worth it to me. I’m starting a Silversides s1 tonight.

6 Likes

Nice job buddy! I hope it smokes well for you😁

2 Likes

I kept the seed from that plant (and the plant itself) separate and I may try a few just to see but I wouldn’t give them to anyone. I trust the seeds from the branches I fertilized myself.

4 Likes

Great job on the OST @GREANDAL!

3 Likes

I do the same thing.
Was it worth the effort saving it?

1 Like

Well, I lost 2 of 3 to damping off, but here’s my solo Oaxacan survivor.

13 Likes

Which one is the Oaxaca? LOL I’m just kidding. Glad you got into them😁 that one looks lonely. Perhaps it needs another friend. With two you are almost guaranteed a female…
Looking happy and healthy!
Sorry to hear about the damp off. It happens. 2 years ago I lost two-thirds of my Moroccans

7 Likes

I probably would not breed with it to share seeds. I think it is better to scrap it, and not put out seeds that probably carry the trait, and risk further contaminating other strains.

That being said, if you make a few for yourself to try to work out the hermie traits, that is a part of breeding and working the line.

6 Likes

Ohh I know, the only prob is I kept slipping and dropping seeds into water recently and now I need to cut myself off, for at least a month :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

So you’ll be starting another pack tomorrow? :wink:

3 Likes

Some more great looking plants. Can you tell us more about the Huixtepecs? Another one that I have never heard of. Thanks.

6 Likes

In this case, not really worth it but that’s more down to me than it. Had i the resources it might have turned out differently.

2 Likes

Thank you @Tejas!

2 Likes

Possibly. My portable heater stopped working and so the temps in the flower room dropped down to about 67°F at night and then it gets back up to about 78°F during the day.

I did also transplant from solo cups to 1 quart size containers about 10 days ago. I don’t recall which one it was but here are what the roots looked like at the time. I felt I was gentle with handling them but maybe caused some sort of transplant shock. I sprinkled mycorrhiza on them and put them into similar soil.

Yes it’s the only one that’s shown any gender so far.

Thanks for the feedback and confirmation.

1 Like