The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

I have seen 13 fingers on one…but it was not as far along as yours and snatched by thieves. I suspect it was from Columbian Gold but it was all mixed bag seeds and it was about '75. The seeds were big old speckled beans. That is the only other time I have seen that many.

2 Likes

I agree with that. Unfortunately, sometimes there are breeders who put shorter times on longer flowering strains. People get discouraged. A friend introduced me to a pocket lens to use on your phone. They work well for close up pictures. I use a loop for my final decision of when to chop.

These are plants of patience. They really want just minimal nutrients and water. They are like an old lady, they know what they want and they take their time getting where they are going. You just have to be patient with them.

15 Likes

Perfect analogy :ok_hand:

11 Likes

It was great. Nothing flashy, could have been written off for schwag if seen from across the room - little to zero bag appeal but there was the treasure!! It’s been probably 10 or 12 years ago. I was getting it from a guy that “only wanted to get high” so he didn’t care about the quality and yet that one still passed through his hands. Among some other nice ones. But that one always stuck out. The older I get the more I care for effect over anything else. Probably effect first then flavor/taste after. But those happy, uplifting, positive effects are what I chase now.

@Upstate Your Oaxacan diary is an edge-of-my-seat interest for me!! Watching with bulging eyes :eyes: lmao :rofl::rofl::rofl: but for real!!! Much Love :heart:

4 Likes

I’ve been passing Oaxaca seeds out to those that have true interest. Stay tuned.

14 Likes

Hi bro…
This plant is about 2004 I just found few seeds and just one sproud. I never saw it again
I hope to see it again but until now i haven’t see it again

3 Likes

Same here. I don’t post often, but i follow along almost daily.
This is my first year growing sativas and i will be attempting to grow and finish them outside at 35N.

5 Likes

Tres Oaxacas

17 Likes

Is that a parent of 12 fingers?

1 Like

I think the plant on the right is a small pheno. I’d consider up potting that one now to help it keep pace with the others. They are much more manageable than the tall stretchy ones and a bigger pot will help you get a decent yield. The short phenos get nice buds on them. Will you force flower these for a month or so to give them a head start? They flower naturally outdoors starting august 15 - sept 1 or so. When do you get frost?

7 Likes

No bro,its not related

1 Like

The small one was a runt that was stuck in the cotyledon stage for about a week or two. My plan for them was to grow them out a bit, take cuts and put the clones outside. My hope is that I avoid any herms and also for quicker flowering.
Frost/freezes vary from year to year. We’ve had snowstorms in late October and last year we didn’t have a hard freeze until late December. Most of my plants seem to do okay with light freezes.
I forced a couple of plants last year before putting them outside, more by accident than anything. I was sexing plants and as soon as they showed pistils, i transplanted them outside. I figured they would reveg and then flower, but they never reveged. They stalled for about a month, then continued flowering.

5 Likes

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you that you have a mild fall. it’s going to be a close one with timing. A couple Oaxaca survived Frost last year, actually survived 28 degrees if I recall correctly but the cold temperatures can still stunt the plants. Do everything you can to keep the roots warm

4 Likes

Hello Elchischas,

I’m in Jalisco, I’ve searched around here a lot for landrace seeds, asked around in Oaxaca a little bit too but had no luck finding any old school or landrace genetics. Do you think you could give me any tips on where to find them?

Tengo algunas semillas que podria compartir, tambien escuche de un lugar en Michoacan que tiene muy buenas semillas que pensaba a visitar, si las encuentro podria compartirlas :slight_smile:

6 Likes

How are they coming along @YoBigdaddy ?

PS - Which seeds did you plant, the B5’s or D5’s or another pheno?

Thanks Upstate!

1 Like

Hey Elchichas. I have something I would like to pick your brain over.

I have read about millions of Mexicans, especially in rural and indigenous communities that live off of corn that are traditional varieties of maize, and these varieties are only rain fed.

Do you perhaps think that the tall, long flowering, and feathery buds of pure Mexican sativas were grown in a similar way? Without any extra irrigation?

7 Likes

Everyday Haze. A giant airy bud.

16 Likes

I am waiting on Jalisco landrace from The Landrace Team. It’s been 4 weeks today since shipping so I hope to see them this week.

4 Likes

Hola carnal,
Are you from Jalisco?
I used to live near, my grandmother are from jalisco.

3 Likes