The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

Ok thanks Ron.

I’m just curious about all Panamanian, Central America, and South America.races

I had the pleasure of smoking red point around ten years ago in Capurgana Colombia…a car free area on the Caribbean coast…which borders Panama. ( the border is now days closed). only reachable by air or by launch…hard to get to but worth it…incredible beautiful beaches

Pretty remote then and a incredible area for a visit,and was a wash with red point….everyone was smoking it even the border guards and cops.
and I’m sure that it was all grown locally…and probably still is.

Happy growing

7 Likes

Coincidentally I am high on Punto Rojo this morning. It is a dreamlike high with distinctive floaty feelings. It is also somewhat sedative and will leave you with heavy eyelids. Despite being sedative, it is not stony. It has that clarity and lack of a “heavy” feeling that I associate with a good sativa. Positive feelings and no anxiety.

It was an unexpected gift. Given to me by a member from a different grow forum. He lives a couple of hours from me, but we met for lunch and he was generous enough to give me some samples of his Punto Rojo which he has been working with for several generations now.

He gave me a few different phenos ranging to more green/gold to more red/purple. 1 and 2 are more dark Colombian, and the number 5 is more green. I prefer the 5. The 5 has a high like the onset of mushrooms. Very dreamlike and artistic.

24 Likes

That’s so cool. I offered to meet up with a fellow Over Grower to buy him lunch and exchange outside grow information since we both live in Southern California but I think that freaked him out. I get it.

5 Likes

Nice write up and congratulations on acquiring the Punto Rojo stock.

6 Likes

I could have picked two fantastic Oaxaca plants this morning but because the weatherman said it was only a 15% chance of rain I left them outside to enjoy the weather. My wife said the house was just struck by lightning and it blew the clock off the wall. Crazy downpour thunder and lightning and my mature Oaxaca plants getting pounded yet again. Fuck the weather man. It happened to me last year with old silver sides. Lost half my resin in 2 hours. This one sounds just as bad. I could cry

14 Likes

Neither of us are commercial. He grows in his backyard and I grow in my closet. The police wouldn’t care about us if someone told them. God bless living in a legal state.

2 Likes

Hope for the best! Must be the storm that was in Michigan yesterday.

3 Likes

I grow 6 plants in my backyard or indoors. Only got 3 grows out here under my belt and just wanted to bounce ideas off his head. Yes, gotta LOVE living in a legal state!

5 Likes

When I ran the cuttings of old silver sides the plants were pounded right down to the ground and everything facing up was rinsed of resin. If I had to find a downside to the tall stretchy Oaxaca that would be it. The resin is not durable in a wet rainy windy climate. I’ll know for sure in another 20 minutes. I was just telling @GREANDAL that when you look at these plants and you know that they are just Prime and you could pick them anytime, do it. Just do it right then and there. I didn’t follow my own advice damn it. I should have picked them this morning. There was another massive flush of fresh stigmas so I was contemplating leaving them two more weeks. Maybe now I will have to to recover some resin. Hoping for the best, bitching about the worst LOL

10 Likes

Have you considered a form of collapsible rain protection? Even a shade cloth. The thing is, it doesn’t even have to be water proof, it just needs to stop the plants from getting hammered.

Here in Colorado the rain drops are the size of garden peas and they are frequently made up of half ice. Hail is a real concern as well. Many backyard growers rig up some sort of protection.

@HumblePie420 I literally deleted half my post for being off topic, but you brought it up yourself. Legal weed brings with it a lack of community. Oddly enough. I thought it would do the opposite, but it didn’t.

I am considering starting a local free clone sharing club. Trying to build community, and revive the culture I grew up with. People of this generation won’t understand it, but does that really matter?

7 Likes

I’ve been leaving them indoors in my grow room any days that have a 50% chance of rain or greater. 15% chance today. I mean come on. A blind man with a stuffy nose could do a better forecast. As to the plastic cover, absolutely in the furure. Thats # 1 outdoor project.
Oh man. Branches down everywhere here near home. Not good. Not good at all, except for the much needed rain.

8 Likes

Let’s hope for all that effort you have something to show for it. Kinda like a gut punch.

6 Likes

I’ve been leaving them indoors in my grow room any days that have a 50% chance of rain or greater. So far i kept them dry. Forecast was 15% chance of rain today. I mean come on. A blind man with a stuffy nose could do better. As to the plastic cover, absolutely in the furure. Thats # 1 outdoor project.
Well they got hammered but 2 of 3 stayed up. The one purple stalk feathery pearl pheno plant was pounded flat. It seems different than the other ones. No stem resin but large calyxes covered in resin that has large heads. Well…HAD large resin heads.

8 Likes

Damn! Sorry to hear this. That sucks. I actually got 2/3 done with an enclosure for the VB today for light dep and rain protection. It f*cking rained on me all day. Fortunately I just walked the beldia into the garage.

4 Likes

Love the thread.

Got a handful of Panama Red Death from bostonbobmass .

Red Death( punta Roja x killer Malawi) x Panama Red

I just wanted to add that these would have been F2 beans

18 Likes

Yummy …real healthy looking…and very interesting.

4 Likes

We had a tornado watch issued a few hours ago just got down graded to severe thunderstorm. Been some weird weather this summer so far.

3 Likes

Sounds wonderful I got some mango rojo that I’m excited to try it’s punto rojo x mango Thai

4 Likes

That should be tasty .

2 Likes

Excited to try some sativas out doing some of those and mango biche

https://energenetics-old-world-farm.com/product/colombia-mangobiche/ from them

5 Likes