The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

I want to finish with the “project haze” and the next thing will be to germinate several of these indigenous jewels. I didnt know that there are such long flowering marijuana strains, if were not for my friends who tell me, I would not believe it, surely very exotic effects / flavors come out of these plants.

6 Likes

I won’t discount the possibility that these are originally Mexican but it sure seems like it could be a long lost Thai variety imported and grown during the 70’s and escaped or mixed with local strains to become its own heirloom. Maybe Philippine in origin originally. An enigma at any rate. Can’t wait for your success!

6 Likes

I think the idea is the fermentation has a similar effect as decarboxylation. So the guy on IC Mag who is the biggest proponent, Tangwena, eats small chunks rather than smoking them. I may try it again with some fresh material. The trick seems to be starting with a specific moisture content and then vacuum sealing to prevent mold. But it definitely ruins the flavor and I’m such a sucker for fresh flowers.

7 Likes

I think perhaps the particular anaerobic bacteria make a difference. Like kombucha, kefir etc. The byproducts of the process have to have influences.

7 Likes

Unggggh :drooling_face:

Imagine having enough Oaxacans to run hash.

4 Likes

I’ve read that cob thread a couple times. Super neat way to cure weed. I’m very interested. The day i have a big enough surplus i will certainly try fermentation.

9 Likes

everything is possible but in my opinion I don’t think that’s going to happen, today’s polyhybrids are generic weed, everything is the same, the same thing happens with cars, nobody is going to collect a 3-cylinder car, full of plastic and Useless software.

6 Likes

I highly recommend you try cobbing with some wispy landrace sativa. I don’t have a tremendous depth of experience but as a Ja-Cobb-A-witness acolyte, i must say the phillipino kibungan that I fermented had very pleasant taste in some batches but in one outlier the taste was decimated (although effect was more intense). The effects are wayyyy more intense once it has had time to age/cool cure 1month+. The difference between the tastey and not-so-tastey was in the duration of the initial hot sweat (104F), 24 vs 36-48 hours, with the flavor being closer to the original in the 24 hour initial hot sweat.

GREANDAL: I think perhaps the particular anaerobic bacteria make a difference. Like kombucha, kefir etc. The byproducts of the process have to have influences.

This right here is likely an important piece of the puzzle that seems to be overlooked for the other technical variables that can be more easily controlled.

10 Likes

I’m sure you guys are on to something. And classic Mexican brick weed was certainly pressed while still too moist for what we would consider to be stabilized and jarrable. I think I will do a test tonight. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

In the interest of science and experimentation…

Fresh ChupaCobra still quite wet, two days of drying on the stalk. It smells delicious with slight skunkiness plus fuel and citrus elements. I rolled a fat Doobie in parchment paper and then did a small separate packet. Sealed them both in bags. Will let them sit in an insulated tumbler water bath for a couple of days and sweat.

18 Likes

There’s was many méxican that usually ending on late January. The Strains from the Popocatepetl vulcano área must be 16-18 Weeks.
Recently I found the “real deal” again in Guerrero, my contact there score probably the Best sativa from México, the ancient legendary súper potent sativa from the Mountains… sadly he is broke af and I broke af too Lol to send him money to score more or even can send me the seeds here.

13 Likes

Wow, end of January! 20 weeks+ then. Special for sure.
Tell me about this super potent sativa😛

2 Likes

Love the pioneering spirit @TexasTea

Looking forward to see how it develops, thank you for providing all the accompanying details

As a point of reference from tangwena on heat re:effects:
(repost from cob thread)

"This period of aging/sweating is what creates the different cures.
Less heat more speedy, the more heat the more the resin changes color and the high with it. The hot aging produces a radical change in the high, its hard to describe its more mental, clear and intense.

While the cool age/sweat is similar to the jar cured high, the warm cure brings a mix of both. Its up to your taste, thats why I recommend trying all three cures if you have enough bud and go with the method that suites your taste."

7 Likes

if you’re antsy you can easily cob single buds, and budettes cob very nicely. Even with dead leaves mixed in, stuff you would never smoke when cured the regular way, you’ll be surprised how quickly it smoothes out into something smokeable even overnight. I would absolutely recommend anyone curious to try it with their trim or old rehydrated buds, if anything just to get the hang of it

4 Likes

I’ll have to try cobbing someday. Perhaps your success will push me to do it @TexasTea
Picture of Miss Ridiculous revegged and starting to flower.
Picture of coyote pee pelletized. Had to grab some. Great for bush patches.

15 Likes

Here I am throwing away my dogs pee pads not realizing I am sitting on a gold mine :joy:

5 Likes

Need to make camouflage pee pads😆

Don’t forget that ( used)kitty litter too lol. It really works great for deer.( really does work. Around and not in the patch)

3 Likes

I’ve been cobbing as well! Even the stuff I did with too much moisture is smokeable. No mold formed when I gave a test piece a chance. Trust your nose, your gut, and the process.

I’ve found that I always reach for the cobbed version of a strain first. Much smoother.

Can confirm that chewing on a piece of cob will get you going. I find I have to chew on it a bit longer than tangwena says. But it works!

7 Likes

Camouflage pee pads lol. Or maybe put a fire hydrant next to your patches and bring the dog along.

@Upstate do you think I should up pot this late or let them finish out? They are in 1 gallon now just curious if putting them in 2 gallon this late in the game will increase yield or not…

16 Likes

Lol. I like the hydrant idea.

Looking good and Getting close…No, up potting this late won’t increase yield.

5 Likes