The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

Heard that; thanks for the tips along the way I’m getting excited but Not impatient yet…

1 Like

Colombian Gold latest … freekers preserve by @Old-Ron

Whaa…since I flipped 14 the Sept.( approx 6 ,7 weeks….these two females have went crazy …having a right party…I finally had to nip the grow tips …definitely a 3 x stretch.

Some nice bud appearing now…early days yet long while to go…but we’ll healthy beautiful plants…and ye exactly the structure and growth I expected in a landrace …it’s great growing it and I’m fascinated by it…ye sure does look ( so Far)

16 Likes

How cool of you to reunite the genes close to their motherland. Looking lovely

3 Likes

Maybe it was never away. LOL

The separation of Panama from Colombia was formalized on 3 November 1903, with the establishment of the Republic of Panama

Regards

P J

3 Likes

Well I’m just not impressed. Maybe it was simply too wet of a sample…I did get a sweat and only left it in overnight before removing from the wrapper and allowing to dry. Looks like I’m getting mold though. Plus, I never care for the aroma…back to the drawing board for me. I think I will be better off getting some bud stabilized at 64 percent and then making a small hard press chunk. At least my terps wouldn’t be ruined.

16 Likes

Sorry to hear it wasn’t a resounding success, I suppose you’ve gotta be pretty quick about removing that sweat/visible moisture.

If you want to retain the aroma/terps that you find with the western dry/cure you will need to work at the lowest temperature bandwidth where possible, and possibly keep the duration of ferment time on the secondary sweat at the lower end. Atleast this is what I surmised from Tangwena’s thread.

You took it for 2 days at 130F? According to the diagrams that were revised multiple times based on experiences and posted on icmag, the lower end on the initial sweat is 104F. I’d be happy to lend you my yogurt maker that has a 104F setting for your next cobb if you’d like.

6 Likes

No, just overnight. And the temp had dropped to just warm, maybe 100F, but I didn’t actually check.

Super nice of you to offer! Really…but I don’t think this cob thing is for me. I’m remembering now the aromas of the cobs and that fermentation smell is just not what does it for me. I’m so much more in search of the old fashioned hard pressed Mexican brickweed type of thing. So, weed that is still sticky but at a stabilized humidity would be much more likely to get me where I’m trying to be. I’m hoping to have something that will keep and age well, but keep it from oxidizing as fast because it’s in a block or plug form. I have a food saver too so can vacuum it pretty good.

5 Likes

Most people would not have even gone through the trouble to give it another shot! I’m sure that if you continue experimenting and adjusting along the way that you will find what you are seeking :pray:

@Panamajock Those Colombian Golds look happy, ideal environment over there!

@Ceilingless What has been your favorite strain to cobb? Any experience with some Central/South American varieties?

6 Likes

Let that thing sit for 2 weeks. Be patient. You will be pleasantly surprised at the potency. Just let it dry some first, THEN sweat it in a bag for 2 days, THEN cob it for 2 weeks. Just like a cure, the longer the better. You have to let the microbes do their thing.

5 Likes

My favorite has been the a golden tiger so far. Puts me in a very meditative headspace.

I also did some Oaxacan, but I over fermented it. Still pretty speedy and will make your heart race, but not nearly as speedy as it was before the cure.

6 Likes

The 11 foot Oaxaca is getting to be smokable I think. This pic was just sent to me. I’m in shock.

Next weekend looks warm (8 days away. )2 or 3 more weeks would make a massive difference. My cousins son has a green thumb. The plants like him.

22 Likes

Nice Sativa Bush right there.

I heard with warmer Temparatures , Floweringtime is accelerated , faster.
Wich sounds surprising, but that was measured i heard.

5 Likes

Impressive. I have her in cold storage, but I’m intimidated to try her indoors given her size and she’d never finish outside in my locale.

:^(

8 Likes

Indeed he’s blessed by the Ganja Goddess :pray:, those are beautiful plants, always surprised about what an Oaxacan can give you … icon_e_surprised|nullxnull

5 Likes

I did a preservation open pollination run on Bodhi’s Metal Haze recently. I’ll be mailing out to other members that private messaged me on one of the other (non sharing friendly) forums either tomorrow or Saturday.
I believe I’ll have some left after fulfilling those “love gifts”.
Feel free to hit me up.

Tony

13 Likes

@Keiserrott Your MetalHaze are probably worthy of a co-op run.

@Upstate I’m surprised your cousin’s son’s Oaxaca is still green and hasn’t turned golden. I started harvesting my big one as lots of branches have turned brown and the flowers are dying/drying on the plant.

7 Likes

Be nice to snag a few of those if your offering thanks.

5 Likes

You gotta find out what he did to the soil @Upstate whatever it was he hit the nail on the head! Bury a fish? Local tomcat? :joy:

Is he at similar latitude?

6 Likes

Kinda already happened with the early Polyhybrids. Breeders start following the market instead of working on their own trends and lose genetics that were once widespread. Prime examples are sour diesel, piff, grandaddy purp, etc. it’s a shame really.

7 Likes

They live about a 1000 or 1200’ lower elevation than I do But only about 20 minutes away. That’s just field soil amended with manure that everything grew in. Planted midsummer
@PineTarBastard That golden coloring comes when Oaxaca plants are closer to harvest time. I would call this ( 11 foot oaxaca)a premature (semi)ripening due to the cold weather which had. Recently we had a few warm days in a row and it hit 75 down where they live. the plant definitely took advantage.

8 Likes