The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

This is how ALL great canna gems are lost.

5 Likes

i wouldnt think twice and pollinate oacacan79 with Cryptic Labs oaxacan.

Ive opened Threads asking how to preserve Strains, and people wholeheatedly told me to selve the original Seeds. :slightly_smiling_face: Wich i shurely dont do, but ive seen multiple Threads about wether or not selfing is loosing the Juice or whatever…
Never found too much concerns from anyone. OF CORSE i wouldnt do it if i had a Choice, but again, its not thaaaat bad

Its not even true that a feminized pure Landrace IBL will herm . Tendencies probably, but NOT necessarly.

5 Likes

Very cool plants there. Different genetics but I have a pearl Vietnam black kiona cut 164 s1.

What does the resin smell like on the pearl pheno’s you have?

I don’t have any pearl males as all I got were s1’s, but I’m interested in pollen from a pearl male. If you have any interest let me know.

4 Likes

:100: couldn’t agree more

5 Likes

Oh i wouldn’t think twice either. In a heartbeat id do it.
I once read that selfed lines don’t hit their pinnacle of potential til s4 or s5. .

6 Likes

Resin is incense smelling mostly with a couple of them… All have complex smells on the floral/ perfume/ incense tangent. My own Oaxaca line is pine/ mint/ Frankincense. Lemme see about pollen. I did have enough for my own work, Lambchoppedd, District Flora , Texas Tea and Greandel. Why not one more? 3 of 4 males are still kicking and I have a good pile for me already. I found a 20 weeker male monster I’m going to hit a very potent 20 week female Oaxaca plant with. Big buds on her. Big stone too… he has solid floral clusters. Complements to my wife for putting up with male plants in our picture window. Since May. She secretly despises me for it tho lol.

14 Likes

Not that there’s anything wrong with that… :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Well I don’t think a lot of these people realize it is medicine and more. Pharmacy can’t come close to what this plant can do and that is too bad. I think DJ had it right when he said good people grow good weed and the wanna be’s will fade or transform understand what this beautiful plant is all about. This wonderful beautiful plant saved my life multiple times at all ages of my life. So grateful and humble for such a loving plant that effects life so positively. I think you get that when you see this plant for what it is (Magical and Healing) Body and Mind :pray:

7 Likes

No of course not. All I’m saying is that in a world in which 99% of efforts are devoted to just that, isn’t it nice that a small but devoted group wants to preserve pure landraces and unique strains, and also try to work on improving them. It’s all good, just wish more people would stop drinking Budweiser and discover craft cannabis. :smiley:

10 Likes

I imagine hundreds of landrace IBL’s, many of them made by OG’ers like us. We are the future my friends. Work hard and stay focused.
Getting to see firsthand how landrace strains respond to love and good soil has been an eye opener. Each generation they improve with yield, flower size, resin production…whatever it is you have selected for improves. Case in point is the Lolab Valley. At p3 its a completely different plant than it was at P1. ( i saw pictures)I grew the p2’s and can’t wait to see how my p3’s turn out.
By p7( f7 ) i expect some greatness.

16 Likes

Oh maaaan…I tried to pop Lolab Valley seeds two years ago and could not get a single seed to sprout. Tiny seeds as I recall…Admittedly my record is mixed on seed popping in general, but I was disappointed. How did it smoke?

8 Likes

I’m not sure how it smokes yet…except for a purple plant with a full head/ body high. It looks like it could be the most potent if I go by resin content but I’ll withhold my final analysis until I smoke the other ladies. I went through a 100 seeds myself with only 2 males the 1st 2 tries. Wild seeds need to be planted in dirt and allowed to come up on their own timeline. Once I get a few more generations down the road If it’s OK with the person I got these seeds from I will pass out beans from the p2 i just ran.

13 Likes

Wild seeds sometimes require a lot of patience. Often more than one wet/dry cycle, sometimes a prolonged chill or freeze depending on where they’re from. Abrasion sometimes helps but it’s hard to do on tiny ones. The matchbox thing sometimes works.

11 Likes

Mine pics aren’t much better. I moved everything INTO the tent with the males now. Conditions should be fine — although less intense light, and tighter space.
Two seem to be undergoing senescenes. The two underdeveloped green plants are each a surviving clone from your original Oaxacan (pearl phenos). The other two are new to the PS line. The chunkier budded ones are both PS as well, and they’re a part of the pollination. One is SUPER early (I’m sure it’s not hard to guess which).

Edit: I can’t show the resin production the way I want to

27 Likes

I’ve got that same short pheno. I had it round one with Oaxaca too. It has a great flavor and a high that is a bit more relaxing than others. Outdoors it produced big flowers. Flowering time was 13 weeks and it was the plant that as a cutting was pickable week 11.

12 Likes

Very nice! @lambchopedd. I see the spear flower pheno.( I saved that one and miss Ridiculous from this summer for a separate pollination tomorrow morning. Will get pics)
I also see a couple plants with longer node length that are unfamiliar to me. @Greandal had one too. Red stem. I don’t think its related to lighting as others have tighter nodes.

12 Likes

One of the oaxaca with nicer flowers and Miss Ridiculous… Partially pollinated this morning

21 Likes

Here’s the super strong 20 week plant. The high is different than regular Oaxaca to the point that i suspect the papa might be a very rare South Indian Landrace strain known for a narcotc high, Palani Black. . It was a hermaphrodite that went from male to female and back again to male and was upwind of Old Silversides during my second run of her summer 2021(seed from this is not in my preservation seed…which is for sure pure)
and i have a suspicion that she may have been hit by the Black. Odd thing is, the offspring are stable somehow. Very stable. So whether its pure oaxaca or not i don’t know, but its very strong and lays me out into dreamland. The kind of smoke where you listen to tv rather than watching it. She is a slow grower, (a short pheno ), a great yielder and i put her back into veg for more size. I’ll be saving pollen from Big Man 20 week male to hit her with.

This summer i hit her with Durban pollen and made just a few seeds to try.

27 Likes

Oaxaca 79 its a old Canadian cut,it comes from ‘Kushyman’ a senior grower. The reason that no one can share it it because everyone who’s get it start to make a lot of crosses and sell them. This Oaxaca 79 cut its really good to make new creations, and Do not exist in regular form. I made many years ago seeds for Charlie García seeds using other pure male. A good friend of mine found a keeper that bring a really happy motivating smoke.

11 Likes

Thanks for the clarification! :slight_smile:

I’m just happy to have the Red Snake and Purple Mexican seeds. So, having O’79 pure is really not a big deal to me as I do not have the SLIGHTEST interest in getting into the seed business (what a freaking hassle and nightmare IMO). I’m only interested in exploring these great genetics and enjoying them, especially the Mexican and Central American stuff.

14 Likes