The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

20221120_145320
Beautiful but cold day in NY. Rescued this Red Throated Loon today. I’ve never seen one. It had been hit by a car. Had to throw my favorite wool sweater over it to keep it calm and now I’ve got blood on my favorite shirt. Oh well. Small price to pay to see such a bird up close. Must have blown in with the storm as the closest location I can find during migration is along the coast in Long Island… I’m just thankful my wife and I were put at the right place at the right time to save this beautiful creature. Brought her to the local rescue center for rehab. Didn’t look like it was in very rough shape and it’s bite hasn’t been affected at all lol.

22 Likes

In retrospect after looking at your photos again I noticed that my mouth was watering lol. I think it’s time to chop🤣

4 Likes

I have one more vial of Oaxaca pollen I can spare if someone can use it. There is no rush as this pollen was treated properly ( i hope) and is in the fridge. @GREANDAL i still have some pollen for you too.

11 Likes

Another unknown Oaxacan strain has been located. Working on getting some seed. Fingers crossed!:yum::stuck_out_tongue::drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

17 Likes

Beautiful bird…well done Upstate and wife.

Got to always help out our feathered friends.

Regards

P J

7 Likes

If it were mine I’d be ready to chop that.

2 Likes

Thanks again for the Oaxacan pollen man! Looks to have been viable…I stuck the rest in the freezer.

18 Likes

Couple more. I was in contact recently with the grower who selected the Oaxacan '79 female for Cannabiogen. Out of 50 S1 seeds the #15 female was the best and was the one used to create Red Snake and also the Mextiza line which was O79 x Nep Jam. Cool stuff.

23 Likes

Very nice! Glad the pollen was viable. Should make some nice babies.
I’ve never grown Colombian, but to my limited eye I see Oaxaca phenos in that red snake

@lefthandseeds is this the same oaxaca?

7 Likes

Goodbye Bahia landrace. You were so pretty:

Such a shame fully seeded too:

Oh well too bad such is life

18 Likes

Not to my knowledge. All I know is it is a HOG cut that was made into a regular line by outcrossing to (probably) white widow and then backcrossed to the cut something like 12 times. I’m sure that’s all contentious like literally everything…

5 Likes

If you haven’t killed it yet, main stem male flowers are not so bad. Its when they get into the buds/ shoots that they are a problem and mean true hermie. I’ve had a good number of plants produce male flowers along the main stem early in flower and then nothing else the rest of the grow. Don’t use them for breeding is all unless its to continue a line.
Looks like a nice plant. Could be worth letting it go a bit longer…

14 Likes

She’s dead.

The male flowers were not just confined to the mainstem.

I’ve got other plants to protect.

Just a shame is all.

9 Likes

I have seen this from the usc black afghani line. It does carry into hybrids.

6 Likes

I wonder if it would eventually breed out as whatever the plants interpret as stress stops becoming stressful to them at some point?

4 Likes

Rip Bahia Landrace.

Shame as. I recall it’s a great smoke.

The joys of growing weed.

Regards

P J

6 Likes

RIP lil fighter :((

5 Likes

To the Bahia in the sky…RIP

2 Likes

I took everyone’s advice and sent the Guerrero green x Michoacán to chop town this week…
It’s been a fun journey and one I can’t wait to explore more of. I’m officially hooked and looking forward to many more grows and chucking some pollen around!

Thanks everyone for the pointers along the way :beers:

Uploading: 7F66F238-C43B-4B8F-8ACF-C059EEEB37AE.jpeg… Uploading: ACDCB89B-5868-43AF-8BF1-57FB2EF284F6.jpeg…

24 Likes

It looks like one of the sativas got the best of a bee as well…

4 Likes