The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

@Upstate
My oaxacan had numerous amber trichomes which surprised me having assumed they would go to Nov
I should have been checking them more often

8 Likes

Thanks amigo! If it smokes as good as it looks and as it smells then Iā€™ll be super happy!

Iā€™m excited to have finished something like this that I used to only read and drool over!

6 Likes

Of course I have mostly smoked one plant the others are just curing

5 Likes

Iā€™ve enjoyed your posts and your exellent pictures on the threadā€¦ye you should be pretty proud of yourselfā€¦the learn curve in growing Sativas and landraces is a great journey and pretty hardcore compared to modern fast and auto strains.

This is a great group and I certainly improved my growing thanks to the knowledge from the great guys and girls on this thread.

And our dear leader Upstate who is a fine example of what Iā€™m talking about.

Keep the posts and fotos coming.

Regards

P J

7 Likes

Here hereā€¦ Thanks for the kind words. I couldnā€™t agree more about the people on this thread and I wouldnā€™t have pulled this off without the help from everyone here, yourself included.

@romanoweed good luck on the search for the sierra madre.

9 Likes

Great old school pics, I even see a natural gold expression,

Sounds good :dove:@Foreigner

4 Likes

Good to know about Moliotiko. Resistance noted.
How late did the Turkish go? Heartbreaker the main cola partially rotted but truthfully for an Indica in Switzerland thatā€™s not so bad at all. At least you were able to save the lower half.
I started topping all my Indicas to decrease top cola size. It does help a bit.

5 Likes

I had read that Oaxaca can be harvested at the end of October in the states at lower latitudesā€¦but really didnā€™t believe that. It was one of the reasonā€™s Mexican strains were so popular in early breeding. With some work even Northern growers had a chance of it finishing in November. Seeing is believing they say, but still, I am surprised it ripened so quick. Perhaps because of the seeds?
That must be a bit discouraging to grow a sativa and have it smoke like an Indicaā€¦donā€™t give up on it!

4 Likes

That looks like some fantastic smoke! I highly encourage you to freeze some fresh,as some strains lose that racy edge after a cure. ( if you like the raciness, that is )
I look forward to your next selectionšŸ˜ whatā€™s on the menu?
@Panamajock this thread would be nothing without the participation of good peeps like you. You ALL are what make this thread special. Its home.

6 Likes

I prefer 8 medium sized tops to 3 big ones because that way if you run into problems you can just cut off the problem area and keep going. Itā€™s just a training thing.

7 Likes

Oaxacan looks like this after a 2 week cure.
Old is Gold!

30 Likes

she has a lot of dead pistils, this round I had some problems and I had to move the plants from the trellis netting. But itā€™s just the pistils, the rest of the plant is fine and getting fat.

6 Likes

Agree, Iā€™ve used the freezer, wrapped it in aluminum foil with the bag and throw it in there. It retains the original high longer than the fridge.

Amazing that Oaxacanā€¦ cross that to baalbek lebanese and you have a great AG reproduction maybe, since the plants were smuggled into Guerrero, Acapulco Iā€™m not really sure what was crossed into those Baalbek Lebanese.

That sure is high suspect with that color. Definitely a solid breeder @Upstate upstate Iā€™d want in my crosses.

Iā€™m running Swami IBL Oaxacan, I got the vial unmarked when I got it.

Doing some test flowering on little ones. Iā€™m not 100% itā€™s Oaxacan but tends to lean that way looking at it.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a special Oaxaca plant for sure. My all time favorite plant. Favorite high. Favorite to look atā€¦Favorite taste.
You have a pure different Oaxaca maybe?

I think its in Oaxacan. Its in this one and in Huixtepec imo. Long long time ago. Brought to Guerrero in the 1830ā€™s. All thatā€™s left is the cedar/ pine taste and some short phenotypes that remind me of Lebanese in stature. The high is all Sativa and so is the flower time in each instance. Does not at all seem like a recent addition but both Oaxaca and Huixtepec have midgetsā€¦in containers anyway. Almost no stretch in flower for the short phenos. I would bet this trait comes from the Lebanese. Iā€™ve come across no other Sativa on earth with these phenotypes. I currently have a 20 week flowering midget going now. Still in veg for some size next flowering.

9 Likes

Iā€™m growing them out now the Oaxacan, take me a bit to see how it turns out. The Baalbek Lebanese also had a cedar pine taste. Be cool to match the two strains.

Iā€™m hunting Baalbek Lebanese and hopefully Iā€™ll find it. :dove:

5 Likes

Thanks @Upstate !

It dried quicker than normal but I think I caught it before over dried and itā€™s curing now. Buzz is up in the head; my first thought was ā€œoh yeah, this isnā€™t the dispensary ā€œsativaā€ā€¦.ā€ up in my head and alert but ripped at the same time. Just what I was looking forā€¦

Whatā€™s next - I decided to take up a snowhigh sativa hybrid seed run - quicksilver.

Iā€™m not sure if I ran another pure sativa outside right now if it would finish before spring so I think Iā€™ll do the MichoacĆ”n x TorreĆ³n next seasons outdoor in the spring.

I have a friend with a backyard who may be able to run something over winter as an experiment, Iā€™ll have to check and see if they are interested.

11 Likes

Red snake double colas with the silver mountain in the background. All going well. The Red snake is going to flower at least 12 weeks it appears.

Sowahh males making sacs.

sowahh for the females

Black Triangle female is really special. Grow this plant!

20 Likes

@Upstate @GregOG when you guys mention throwing a n the freezer to retain the high, are you putting it in the freezer when itā€™s fresh like a fresh frozen style and then drying after it comes out, or do you dry and the. Freeze when it hits your desired dryness level? If itā€™s the second option, do you also cure it a bit before freezing?

Im curious to try and it would be fun to play with although Iā€™m not sure how the wife will take seeing buds in the freezerā€¦ :joy:

4 Likes

Dried first then maybe a 2 week cure or so then into the freezer @Elpolloloco. Make sure it smokes to your liking before freezing.

12 Likes

Sounds like a plan, thank you!

3 Likes