The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

yes i agree with the calculation of strongest strain takes over, this i think as well is very true.
i used the term hemp generically to cover the hemp /cannabis connection.
i am sure they cultivated the whole aspect of the plant, and of course not like us, if they were we would have no land race strains but lots of breeding ect.
lets say marco polo was trading seeds, again seeds of both hemp and cannabis.
lets say he went and traded in Afghanistan or or even into other regions., like us different strains interest us as i am sure it was the same.
the seeds were passed out and grown all over.

1 Like

the Marihuana Landrace Lines that ive grown till this Day (SE Asians) break very easily… compared to Hemp that we grow here, theyre pretty weak Fibers. And Plants lean to the Side around Harvest…

Am i mistacken , or is Multi purpoposal use pretty rare in the World? @upstate

1 Like

I agree with you. But it can’t be proved. Personally I think the Phoenicians could have brought cannabis with them to South America but the only evidence we have that they might have been there is old Phoenician coins that have been found in South America. The Egyptians brought hash to trade with them as well. Inca mummies have been found buried with hash and Egyptian mummies have been found buried with cocaine and tobacco. In my mind this proves that there was at least trading going on, but it doesn’t prove there was any growing in South America.
There are also pre-columbian statues of men with African features that have been found in South and Central America . And finally, it’s possible the Vikings brought hemp with them to the new world, which could explain reported sightings along the St-lawrence and Potomac. But, to Prove cultivation occurred prior to Europeans happening upon the Western Hemisphere would require a pollen sample. As of now, that would be the only accepted proof that there was indeed cultivation going on.
I think you are right though. Those African statues didn’t make themselves. It’s obvious to me and anyone else with a brain and an ability to use it to think for themselves that people in South America were paying tribute to a culture they admired, long before Columbus era Europeans arrived. But to prove it, people like you and I would have to get out there with a shovel and find a pollen sample, because the people that find such things for a living don’t want to find out this information. For whatever reason it is not in their best interest.
Oh yeah… the pollen sample you or I find would not count because we are not accredited archeologists, and to be one of those you have to be willing to turn a blind eye to new artifacts and information.

9 Likes

It would not surprise me if Vikings carried seed with them to the western continents.

2 Likes
2 Likes

The records do exits, but the cartouches and various bas relief are in Arabic libraries hidden behind a wall of cultural silence. Mansa Abubakari II and his family were/are African muslims. These types of ocean faring journeys were well documented by scribes. The problem is that Islamic countries does not share their complete history with the West.

The Phoenicians were the UPS/Amazon of the ancient world. If you were travelling the ocean in days of yore, it was probably on a Phoenician ship. Egyptians built pyramids and dynasties, Phoenicians were focused on seafaring.

It’s not such a great leap seeing a mental picture of an indigeneous American smiling with a handful of seeds after blazing some ancient Ceylon smoke. You are 100% correct, snooty academia will not accept our carefully sifted soil/pollen samples unless they can get the credit for it and and somehow turn a profit. Plant gene sequencing and more fieldwork will yield crumbs of truth in the near future.

7 Likes

So these strains like George Washington and the likes grew out more than likely came from Africa and then sorted for cloth strains or medicinal use. I’m sure the slave trade also had something to do with this.
That’s been well over 200 years just there.

5 Likes

George Washington has 2 Moor assistants. Moors were immersed in the Middle Eastern and African culture. I’ll bet they had a connect on some good ganja from Sinai. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

A sad reminder academia is a racket. Sorry, racquet…

2 Likes

My favorite professor I had was Mr. Wilson.

Sorry… one love :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

When you say southeast Asian do you mean Thailand/Laos/Vietnam etc? From what I’ve read thus far it seems there is enormous wild variation there and large wild populations constantly mixing with whatever people cultivate. I could be wrong but I haven’t seen anything like the Indian cultivation going on there. The reason I say that is I wonder if there is something there that really fits the definition of landrace as I understand it, a cultivar normalized to the local environment gradually selected for whatever purpose.

It seems to me the distance is such that seeds or seeded bud would be more likely a trade good at that distance from home with hash being the taster. just a thought. Three to six months is a long time to wait…lol

The things left behind by Egyptians are impressive lumps of human effort but the Phoenicians had big brass ones. The vikings are popular these days but as seafarers alongside the Phoenicians they appear “cute” lol

Wild Plants are predominantly in the very north of Vietnam. I google alot times words like “vietnam weed” and predominantly i find Tourist astonished that it grows besides the Roads. And every single of this surprised Tourists was in making holiday in the North Vietnam…

So, today atleast im not shure if there is any wild weed further South… Realseedcompany says the same…

BUT lately i heard Veterans telling it grew everywhere besides the Roads … Were Veterans fighting only in the south? If so we have a possibly wild Weed there in the south.

BUT, we would have to test it. It could be feral, escaped Plants from plantations, that probably dont survive on its own too well… And more important not wild, instead they are mostly just selected Weed, and slightly reverted to a wild Species (with lower Thc and such) . But only SLIGHTLY…

For me, if you ask me for my thoughts (not knowledge).
Many Regions selected the plants. Also SE Asia… Thats the bottom line.

Thats the impression and anektotes i got. People sometimes say: they didnt select it enough… no idea where this anektote is coming from. We know that Thaiweed was one of the strongest one earth, they carefully bound those Thin Buds into sticks. They certainly selected it enough. The smokets FROM OLD SONERS show it.

Nono, SE Asian were cultivars of high degree. Vietnamese wasnt so consistent, but i dont see any evidence of wild mixery of Hemp, and even fewer of Wild Plants. Its definitly a Possibility…

But like said: People these days grow Hemp appart from MArihuana (timewise) . This , including the anektotes of Weed undergone Selection, and sometimes they made Seedproductions on lonely hills. The binding of Thaisticks. IT shows me a Picture of a great care for their breeds. Probably not always, but in a general … Enormous potency dont come from wild plants acording scientists… So. This alone could exclude theories of Unprofessional breeding… Sorry, hard t make a small anwser

This is just me highlighting what i tend to think.

Their job was easy: select the better plants, saw it again, and plan abit who is growing what when… I tend to think such planning happend actually, but have no proove…

4 Likes

Yes, I am sure selection has happened and still goes on. The Thai stick is very good example. As you say, natural potency has been selectively increased. I know there were/are plantations in Cambodia and Laos but I am not familiar enough to even be discussing this other than to ask questions. I smoked a little of a Thai stick when I was young and still remember it fondly.

Thank you! :blush:

1 Like

I must remember these cultures are ancient. We can never know everything fortunately, so we must keep looking! lol

Im myselve not shure . I asked people about practises. And like said: selection was, from the few anwsers i got, a predominant anwser… Thai people Selected , Vietnamese, from Marocco i heard the same…
I see this “behaviour” from The food-crop-dokus, where i saw how there are still a few people exchanging letuche-Heirlooms. They met the nighbor, and brought some Seeds. Seeds were like to show wealth in many Places.

So, sharing the best is basically daily routine… Their health depended on good Vegetables, not like today where you can always get socail Money and go shopping.

Just when someone says it was a wild crossery going on, then i have ATLEAST not such a bad Sentence for what they did. May there been some people doing what they wanted, and not selected anything, basically and in a general everyone did it.

Wich leads me to think they probably were aware of crosspolination…

2 Likes

Yes of course, this is human behavior. The best has high value. Like today it can represent respect or favor.

1 Like

Morocco? That’s interesting.

2 Likes