The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

Headed to the post office and I have an extra pack of Oaxaca to send somebody. If you can catch me within the next half hour…its 10:05 eastern time…
I’ve been sending out quite a lot of these. I still intend to have a limited sign up for the remaining packs… I don’t know how many yet…

16 Likes

Okay. That’s it for today. There will be other opportunities coming up to grab some of these.

7 Likes

I will have to keep an eye out :grin:

1 Like

will certainly keep my eyes out as well. kudos on your generosity @Upstate !

4 Likes

Somebody hit a pole in my neighborhood, so now the powers out :man_facepalming:t4: Took some pics while in the dark. I’m happy with the difference a week made.

22 Likes

really nice job @lambchopedd they are looking really beautiful

4 Likes

There coming on Bro…thanks for your interest.

Happy growing

15 Likes

looking good!

1 Like

6 for 6 with the OaxThai. Oaxacan looks similar.

Woohoo!

15 Likes

These picks are like waving a glass of tequila under an alcoholic’s nose…I’m REALLY itching to pop some beans, but need to wait until around Feb 1st.
But I just can’t WAIT :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Lob

4 Likes

Awesome! Out of likes but :+1:

4 Likes

The leaves have already narrowed considerably. Am i counting 11 leaflets on one of those plants? Pretty uncommon. May hit 13 leaflets…looking great!

5 Likes

Off we go. Every bean a jumper. Was expecting a lazy day but what a motivator! :joy:

12 Likes

Ye that’s the one that’s kinda different,also it’s two weeks behind the others…which are 7 weeks on Thursday (I’m going to flip them on Thursday) so that one is approx 5 weeks…there growing great and I’ve had them out getting the sun today, no nutes just my fruit tea every two weeks…

15 Likes

I’ve been holding on to the Oaxacan like the One ring for a while now. I need to grow some meds for the wife too and had to work that out between the two tents. All the usual decontamination took a while this year, I was pressed for time.

5 Likes

Wowsa! May I ask what these are? Very vigorous!

@Panamajock

3 Likes

There from a preservation run that @Upstate done

Breeder: Snowhigh Seeds
Donor: freakers
Grower @Upstate

Snowhigh’s description:

Double Panama Red:

4 females of 2 different Panama Red varieties making it 8 females and 4 males 2 from each variety. The Panama Red Hair variety derives from the BCO lineage originally collected by a collector from a family in Colombia who had preserved several heirloom Colombians and this Panama Red. The Panama Red Hair has red, purple, blue coloring as well as green. Pistils are red when dry and appear white and orange before turning color.

The 74 Panama Red was acquired during a Peace Corp mission to help the peoples of Panama. The variances are there and distinct as this Panama Red’s leaves are more jagged, the stems are more of a green to brick red in appearance depending if a green or red phenotype. Only red phenotypes were used in these pure hybrids. The roots at the base of each plant can produce what looks like thorns, the roots shoot up from the base of the stem and form barbs or thorns, an attribute noted from being grown in the Darien jungle and adapting to its environment.

Some of the plants bleed red sap. The 74 Panama Red also turns red and shades but the plants seem to express the color differently than the Panama Red Hair. The combination of these 2 original Panama Red lines is to collectively combine and preserve the best features of these rare and unique lines. The high is creeper, hypnotic and physical as well as trippy, affecting vision and auditory perceptions. Flowering is 18-24 weeks indoors. With some proper selection one can finish growing the remaining plants to hopefully finish by December outdoors or with a greenhouse or covered area that can extend the growing season.

If you don’t know how these work, read this thread:

About the Seed Runs Co-op warning Read before you participate Seed Runs Co-op

17 Likes

Thank you! One day I’ll manage to get onboard with the freakers.

3 Likes

@Ryan031 this is one of the threads i hang in.

1 Like

I listened to the Heart and Soil podcast about the Peruvian.

The guy seems nice but sweet Jesus has the breeding game slipped if people take him seriously. He got five plants from an 1/8 of unknown weed that he just decides is a landrace because he is in Peru and starts breeding with them. As if Peru has never seen a hybrid. He has no idea if it is even Peruvian. Most of the weed there come from Paraguay or Colombia.

The largest amount of plants I heard he was breeding with was five packs at once. So 50?

I need to quit calling myself a pollen chucker. I am a certified breeder by these standards. Lol. Fuck me. Isn’t this supposed to be the legal scene? What have we come to? “Breeders” working with five bagseed plants?

Hopefully he was lying for legal reasons and actually takes selections from hundreds of seedlings. Not five.

6 Likes