The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

If I was going down that road

In November 1903, the construction of the Panama Canal began. 50,000 workers were imported from Jamaica, Martinique, Barbados and Trinidad. The workers were referred to as Antilleans or derisively as chombos. Antilleans and other black workers were paid less than white workers. Discrimination was rampant. Most supervisors were from the southern US, and implemented a type of southern segregation. The presence of West Indians had other repercussions. Creoles and mestizos who had a social status above blacks were lumped with them. They were deeply offended and engaged in rampant discrimination of all blacks outside the general canal local. This led to great racial tension. Native blacks began to resent the West Indians, who they felt made things worse for them. In 1914, the Panama Canal was completed. 20,000 West Indians remained in the country. They generated a lot of xenophobia. In 1926, Panama passed laws decreasing immigration from the West Indies and later barring non-Spanish speaking blacks from entering the country.would possibly have come from the immigrants coming to work in the construction of the canal.

But I think it was here before then under steer ship of indigenous Indians.

.image

11 Likes

Interesting read. Look at the size of that ship! The canal is an Awesome feat of engineering!

5 Likes

20 something days in we got Panama Haze on the left and Old SilverThai male on the right. Both 30 " tall. Pollen dusting everything as we go.

11 Likes

The cutie…

What might be another…

A narrow leaf…

Another narrow leaf…

The T/O are going like mad too, more to come. :joy:

12 Likes

This will have to do for now sorry, duty calls.

Interesting how much Oaxacan seems to appear in leaf shape and habit but the Thai brings some speed and robustness at least so far in veg.

This one looks wicked

10 Likes

There looking real healthy…I’m enjoying following!

3 Likes

Hermosa…coming on well.

3 Likes

Thank you! :blush:

2 Likes

Got to be in the top ten of world engineering Projects.

But … A staggering 25,000 workers lost their lives. in its construction.

Hope you all don’t mind me adding a wee bit of history to my posts.

But I love everything Panama…the history in this small country (the isthmus) is incredible.

10 Likes

Yes as far as value goes it may have been the most effective earthwork ever constructed but it used up people like lubricant. An amazing thing tragically bought.

I imagine mosquitoes killed the majority, that and overwork.

4 Likes

That’s what beat the Frenchman Lesseps…he came on a white horse after building the Sues canal to Panama and left a failed engineer and nearly bankrupted France.

American army engineers corps were incredibly efficient when taken over with the total backing of Teddy Rooosavelt…who had the foresight to see the canal as his route to asia…

If you need more info David McCulloughs book is incredible.

History lesson over. Lol

8 Likes

Panama!.. doo doo doo doo do Panama ah! Weow! Sing it

5 Likes
8 Likes

Let’s party it’s nearly xmas

7 Likes

Yep, it’s Señor Garcia from reeferman. Barney likely just did a reproduction run and came up with some Oaxaca leaning phenos (pearl buds) and changed the name then pitched it as a rare mutation only found in his line. It isn’t even common in his version, most people grow Grinspoon out and don’t find it

4 Likes

senis seeds used a Oaxacan, Oahacan? aswell. Called Mexican Sativa. (not that im advising Sensi seeds version)
I think it can be definitly good, its just a region that was less known to the Ganja-explorers i think.

4 Likes

We cant talk landraces without getting into the history… share away!

7 Likes

Feliz navidad everyone!

A lovely present…pistils!

15 Likes

And the girls go doot doodoot, doodoot doot doodoot doot :notes:

If that’s not a heartbreak I don’t know what is. lol

Just the same, I’ll snip these and let it get a little bigger and see. If nothing else this growth habit is desirable.

6 Likes

On second thought, there ain’t no stopping this, full on hermaphrodite. Will separate it shortly.

6 Likes