The debate comes to OG: trim time, wet or dry?

Hi everyone,

While looking at the trim jail thread I noticed our friend @ryasco wet trims his fine herbs… while this may work for him, it does not for me!

So let’s have it, growers of OG. The time has come to weigh in on this heavily debated topic.

• WET TRIM
  • DRY TRIM

0 voters

Wet Trim or Dry Trim, what do you like and why?

Stay hazed
Jake

6 Likes

I trim wet and dry, technically. I trim everything without trichomes and hang. Then manicure when dry.

15 Likes

I trim wet, then hang on a line leaving the buds on the stem/branch with a final minimum manicure if needed as it goes into the jars and removed from stem / branch

So 98% wet 2% dry there abouts.

I think it also depends on geographical location, i’m in UK mostly raining here lol If I didn’t trim wet I would loose a lot to mold, I have to trim wet in all honesty for that reason.

Remove fan leaves by hand, trim with fiskars by hand, hang on line.

9 Likes

dry it helps slow down the drying process an protects from light even tho light isnt a big issue for me i usually try to trim the fan leaves in a different pile than the good trim but like herbie said i think it depends on where you are that dictates what you can do to get the best outcome

7 Likes

I also pile fan leaves and trim separate, the trim goes into a food dehydrator on low setting dries and then goes into a pollinator for trichomes to be pressed into a hash block, simple 4 ton press and mold.

6 Likes

ah yes one day except i may go the rosin way instead of hash herbie you are a great inspiration sir

2 Likes

You fellas are too smart. I was trying to incite the argument we have all seen on other sites but in 3 posts it’s been simplified to the perfect answer.

Dang this amazing user group.

Y’all are totally correct.

I only dry trim because my humidity floats about 20% in the drying area. It’s much easier to let the entire plant regulate the moisture loss vs controlling the moisture in the environment to dictate the drying speed.

Stay hazed
Jake

13 Likes

got give the real credit to herbie an ryasco tho personally im am but a student looking for that “thatll do pig” approval hahaha

3 Likes

I have to remove the fan leaves and excess wet material from the room, my humidity is general over 50% outdoors ranging to full 100% raining most of the time. I have the use of a dehumidifier, radiators, fans and equipment controllers. I try to keep it to 15-20c and 45% humidity but its a challenge even when wet trimmed. the occasional bud iwill leave to hang with only fan leaves removed if trimmed in the summer months for personal, then trim it dry, just a few specimens that wont affect the entire rooms environment.

8 Likes

I trim mine up wet because the trichs stay on the bud better when it’s wet and I’m lucky enough to be able to control my drying environment. After the trim, I hang the stems up on my lines @ around 50% RH and about 70* F for the room temp. I keep my room dark with some air circulating, but nothing blowing directly on the hanging stems. After 6-7 days my buds are usually ready to get clipped off the stem and I’ll trim the small leaf that was buried up against the stem from before. Next step is straight to the glass jars for the curing process, but that’s another topic in itself. :wink:

16 Likes

Cut all big fan leaves, hang until dry, then trim. I used to wet trim and I think the end product might be a little prettier looking, but I’m a one man show and can’t do it anymore.

8 Likes

Usually by harvest I like most of my leaves to fade and hopefully fall (or easily pluck) off. Green leaves that haven’t fallen I pluck manually… these are all fan leaves not on the bud. From there I like to wet trim basically everything that doesn’t have trichs. Usually trim off everything wet and hang with minimal fan leaf on the plant. After this, I hang dry and do a small touch up once dry. I usually try to have my buds pretty clean of trim but the super frosty bud leaves i leave a few on bc i think it gives the bud character and protects the nice trichs. Not to mention the purple, red, yellow, frosty leaves really looks cool and doesn’t really weigh a thing and usually has ample frost on 'em.
I dunno, usually just my mood and strain dependent but I would say 90%+ are trimmed wet.

7 Likes

Great debate, and poll results really surprised me :slight_smile:

Where I live probably everybody trims wet due to high air humidity (probably with exception of indoor harvest during summer)… With dry trim everything takes too long to risk molds. I use to leave buds on branches 30-50 cm long and hang them to dry. But there are people which also separate buds from the branches (that is way too fast drying to my taste).

But myself I find wet trim a lot easier than trimming withered or dried plants. And with wet trimming resulting buds are little bit nicer.

11 Likes

i trim roughly 30% after 3 weeks of drying and then
the rest when its time to smoke it,i get a better preservation
that way,all colour smell and taste stay intact!

3 Likes

Can’t really vote, i don’t trim and dry all strains in the same way.

I will never dry trim a sweet tooth#3, i will never wet trim a pure africaan, i will mix both for a jack herer … it will depend mostly on the leaf/calyx ratio and on the “sap profile” i have in front of the scissors.

7 Likes

We like to remove all fan leaves before hanging, for the sake of airflow.
When the buds shrink we remove everything with a petiole, as wet buds tend to hide them.
Sugar leaves can stay if they are ‘sugared’ enough…

Hmm… We need a term to differentiate sugar leaves with and without petioles. Single blade leaves without petioles are sepals.

6 Likes

16 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly.
I find wet trimming far easier.
And I also think the buds end up looking better.

Plus, I like to get the drudgery over with asap!

7 Likes

I dry trim. I find you rupture heads wet trimming, you have less smell and taste, it dries a lot quicker (seeing as im in a dry area), and your scissors get all stuck up.

3 Likes

Ditto. Fan leaves and a general scissors up the side when wet, manicure dry over screens (and a good audio book playing). Cheers!

9 Likes