The debate comes to OG: trim time, wet or dry?

To me depends on the humidity. I did both.
The important thing is dry slow, buy without risk to loose the plants to mold.

11 Likes

Man this is an internal debate I have every harvest. I prefer to wet trim, as it is faster and easier for me. That being said, like @lotus710, if i wet trim it dries too quickly. So lately Iā€™ve been dry trimming.

12 Likes

I always cut dry, so I can control more drying that I like to be slow for a minimum of 15 days, besides the leaves protect the buds, after a few harvests I reach that conclusion

4 Likes

Usually I dry then trim, just the fan leaves though.
I leave the sugar leaves on and they do a good job of protecting against trich damage on the buds them selves.
For seed harvesting Iā€™ve let the plant shed all its leaves and basically die, but weā€™ll see how that ends soon.

1 Like

Wet trim every time for me its much easier and faster plus less risk of mould.
I do have a question about ā€˜protecting the trichs and buds with the leaves still onā€™ WTF are you protecting them from?
I see people on forums say this all the time, do people play dodge ball with buds or just have them drying on a wind chime type setup in a hurricane that they need protection from?

3 Likes

Damage from handling the buds. Just look in the bottom of a jar near the end of a smoke. Should be frosted from all the broken trichomes.

5 Likes

after trying both wet and dry with this harvest i will always dry trim. i leave all fan leaves on while drying. cut and hang the plant whole or big of sections as i can. i prefer the finished product dry trimmed and i also find it a lot easier to trim.

4 Likes

Like 99percent said.
When you cram them all into the mason jar to cure or whatever you use, the sugar leaves keep the main buds from crushing into each other.
Trichomes are very delicate, almost like spun glass.
Pulling two or three leaves off before loading a bowl takes 2 or 3 seconds.
To each their own lol, but Iā€™m not selling, so bag appeal isnā€™t a priority.:smiley:

8 Likes

Iā€™ll agree dry trimming is the best way to go. Yet where i live humidity and mold are a huge issue. So i have to wet trim or take the chance of losing my crop.

2 Likes

I guess I see your point but in knowing the trichomes are relatively delicate I am always very careful to handle buds lightly and for sure no cramming into jars happens.

I have not done or seen any testing to validate this but I only presume Trichs are somewhat pliable otherwise we could not roll hash balls or press some blocks or whatever, if they were not it would be like trying to roll sand into a ball.

4 Likes

When you press hash, you break the cuticle layer of the trichomes and the oil inside is what makes it stick together. Trichomes are fragile, especially when cold. This is how we make hash in the first place.

8 Likes

but you can always scrape your jar afterwards right? :smiley:

2 Likes

Iā€™m a wet trimmer, but I donā€™t usually have a large amount to trim. If I used a trim machine of some sort Iā€™d probably do it dry but with the yield I usually get itā€™s sort of therapeutic to me to trim it wet. Though who knows, maybe Iā€™m doing it all wrongā€¦

2 Likes

I donā€™t think anybodies doing it wrong. Wines and Craft beers all have different recipes and processes.
Anyone snobby enough not to share an offered bowl is doing it wrong lol.

11 Likes

More true words have rarely been spoken!

99%

5 Likes

I dry trim simply because itā€™ll take the buds longer to dry out if I do and therefore holding in more flavor. Not to mention how sticky my Fiskars get when trying to wet trim, maybe if I had a team of people Iā€™d say wet trimā€¦lol

3 Likes

Exactly! is only 6 characters so hereā€™s some moooooooore.

yes those sticky fiskers sure were frustrating lol the first plant i over dried and i basically just had to poke the leaves with the scissors and theyā€™d snap off lol but you donā€™t get any scissor hash that wayā€¦ the next plants iā€™d trim while it was still sticky but the leaves were starting to become dry and brittleā€¦ i was storing the buds in a garbage bag to keep them from overdrying and iā€™d take a few branches out at a time to trim them

the first plant which overdried was the only one which got a kinda shitty smell after a week or 2 in the jar but i think it may have been because i packed that jar too friggin tight and there was still a bit of moisture in themā€¦ the good smell is starting to come back especially if you crack the buds open

2 Likes

take off all fan leaves dry then take off sugar leaves. cure

3 Likes

same here. and my hands are gentler than any scissor or trimming machine. sine mine is all personal manicuring is only for gifts. :slight_smile:

c.s

1 Like