The debate comes to OG: trim time, wet or dry?

Who wet trims, who dry trims and why?

2 Likes

I’ve been researching and although dry trimming seems like it’ll be more laborious since the leaves curl up close to the bud, it also seems as if it’ll make for a smoother toke. Hhhmmmmm…

4 Likes

I used to wet trim, but now I dry trim and I think it regulates the bud humidity better while drying. I still trim off pretty much any leaves that don’t have trichomes while wet.

4 Likes

That’s how I do it as well. I never wet trim mostly because it’s very dry here and I’d have to have humidity control to keep it from going too quickly. I’ve heard dry trimming is more flavorful as well. I think wet trimming is easier and faster, but if I’m going to spend 3 months growing a plant, I can spend a few evenings dry trimming.

If I dry trim, I can “tune” the speed that it dries without having to do anything special. Just dry it with the right amount of stem and leaf to keep it going for 7-10 days.

5 Likes

I’m finding more opinions online def favor dry trimming … I’m always worried when I’m thinking about trying something new :grimacing:

3 Likes

Way easier for my to control the environment to 50% RH and dry trim. I feel like dry trim is easier. The leaves just crisp off.

I do trim all the big leafs first.

6 Likes

I only wet trim if I’m in a hurry.

4 Likes

I’m UK and the RH rarely gets below 50% so as a preventive against mould i wet trim as soon as they are cut down. Hung to dry for around 7-10 days then a final dry trim “if” they look “leafy” and need a manicure for aesthetics.

6 Likes

I used to wet trim, but started drying the plant whole to slow down the drying in our arid climate. I still wet trim when I do seed runs though. Dry on screens too as quickly as possible. Obviously not smoking that, usually.

5 Likes

Yeah I think location is a huge factor on what the best method/option is for each person. Today the RH is 67% where I live. If I left them to dry with all the leaf matter on it would take several weeks to be ready to trim and I’d likely loose a good portion of the harvest to mould. If it dries out a little fast and ends up a harsh smoke I’ll just cure it for longer. The way I see it anything I’m able to grow has to be better than the stuff a street dealer has for sale around my area so…

11 Likes

Dry, by hand almost no scissors involved, LOTs of finger/chara hash.
Because my climate is dry/very-dry, and for all the reasons listed above :grin: it’s easier overall, imo. There’s a learning curve to it, and I’m almost certain that machines are faster & a mechanical dry technique could be achieved.

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

ok, honestly i was expecting for this thread to be a shit show, on other forums things get nasty over personal preferences on things like these…

i wet trim. as others have pointed out, your snippers will gum up fast. i used to use vivosun snips while trimming but i was cleaning them every 20 minutes or so…

since then ive moved onto Chikamasa B-500sf Stainless Steel Scissors w/ Fluorine Coating (Resin-resistant).

seriously, if there is a better pair of snippers out there i havent found them.

12 Likes

Its the best to trim when the buds are “wet” or fresh. That is teached even in the THC University :wink:

4 Likes

Is it because of quality or convenience? both?

2 Likes

Exactly, both and the potence for if you trim dry buds trichomes breaks easily :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m going to get a pair. So far cuticle scissors have worked the best for me but I def want a pair of needle nosed shears … glad this thread didn’t turn into a pissing contest lmao

2 Likes

That’s the ONE thing I’m worried about is how fragile trichs seem to be when they’re dry

1 Like

There is time yet :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

3 Likes

So I think I can totally agree that it depends on your preference and your climate. It’s very hard to get humidity above 35% even in the tent so I’m def thinking about dry trimming. The ONE thing I’m worried about with that method is how fragile dry trichs are

1 Like

No no no, we don’t need to see who has the biggest cajones :joy:

1 Like