The debate comes to OG: trim time, wet or dry?

Well gonna be harvesting first grow soon and reading as much as I can. Still not sure so maybe will do some of both and see how it goes. I did some trimming about 20 years ago and did it wet then and found it to be never ending. Still remember was doing about a lb a day for about 9-10 days straight after work until bed time. Still getting shivers thinking about it but the finger hash was the bonus!

6 Likes

If you’re temperatures/RH/airflow/laws/neighbors/etc. will allow you to dry trim, and you’re not a “market gardener”, I believe you’ll be much happier letting it all dry first. But :tophat:'s off to you for being willing to try the comparison test…always gotta be scientific! :wink:

:smile:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

I’ve done both wet and dry and I stick to wet trimming because I go for bud appeal, that being said everybody I know does dry trim as most leaf will just crumble off but I find that method leaves you with a lot of twiggy leaf stems between budsites then you have to dig in further to chop those bits off… In my personal opinion it makes trimming a ballache vs when the leaves are all still up and proud.

Really depends on what kind of finish you’re looking for in the final product.

8 Likes

I live in a Rain Forest, and say fk the humidity…I trim dry. It is a far better nose, and look. It also keeps the trichomes mostly intact. Paired with a patient cure, this is the only way for me. Oh…Also, friends don’t let friends machine trim.

6 Likes

A wet trim followed by an inpatient cure is how i rock. You cant piss about in a climate this wet.

Also i resent the extra work a dry trim causes me :grin:

7 Likes

I do both. How’s that for being a pain in the poll?

2 Likes

this is what I like to see … numbers…obviously care must be taken in the process or the numbers can be far worse. I believe the point at which the final trim is done matters. Too dry and too many trichomes fall. If the climate is wet there could be mould/mildew if you don’t trim the leaves early.

Wet or dry will be best depending on how dense the buds and how humid the climate. I feel like you get them too dry though gonna break a lot more off.

Note: Edited for clarity

4 Likes

Different strokes for different folks ,different environments warrant different tricks to getting buds dry !
I know if I lived in a tropical jungle vs a dry desert :camel: my methods would vary !
I prefer to hang in 60%rh and 60 F 8-10 days then trim and jar , I’ve also wet trimmed racked it till dry than locker tubbed it burping as needed ,I prefer the first method makes for a more turp inhanced smoother finished product!

8 Likes

Where are you located?

Regards,

K.

That’s your calcified pineal gland.

1 Like

Wet trim, hang for 3 days and start curing them while still sorta wet. Slower dry and cure works out for me best.

Been doing this for a while, n I feel like bud gets better smell, and taste

3 Likes

Cut plant, hang, provide air movement via oscillating fan, trim when dry.

I have had much tastier results this way. I get really anal when I wet trim, but dry trimming only takes a couple minutes an ounce.

I am very surprised to hear all these opposing views. My technique works so well for me, but I guess everyone finds what works for them.

1 Like

Old-school here - Im always in between them two that seem like the norms. I hate wet trimming and I hate dry trimming even though each has its own perks and negatives.

I have been working with tobacco and cannabis for a long time and both have taught me a great deal about patience and just how critical this all is when looking at the finished product…

Most people are just following the paradigm that is known, while the others realized how much more there own climate effects this in comparison between others with different climates to contend with as a main factor in the equation…

5 Likes

Hang whole plant, 7-10 days, then dry trim

3 Likes

Could you pls elaborate? When i do dry trim, which is not often, i still use :scissors:
Am I missing a method that can be easier on me… other than tumbling the living shit out of the buds…?

4 Likes

You can just physically pull the leafs from the plant with your fingers when it’s fully dry. It’s much much quicker than trimming. :+1:

8 Likes

now i feel like a tool for not thinking of using the most obvious tool LOL

7 Likes

If I had a drying room I’d definitely go that route but since I’m lacking the space and my humidity is stupid high I wet trim. Even with most of the leaf matter removed it still takes a week or more to dry.

5 Likes

Usually i wet trim n cut to branches
but i kinda want to do a full hang slow dry. Usually i set temps low as i can n let it dry cold n slow. But trimmed.

I know by my scissors im losing out though. Until i fire up the scissor hash. Then dont feel that bad about it.

4 Likes

Ad in a trim bin and you will be extatic!

1 Like