The Exceptional Strain Cuvee

Cuvee’
To Make two things that are good into something exceptional is the simple translation although in French it is much sexier. The strain was originally created in 2014 in Northern California. I had bought property in Sonoma County a little three-acre piece on top of a nice hill near Napa and I met Frenchy Canoli who gave me a cut of Pinot Noir a clone only F4 cross of Original Blackberry and Vintage 1978 Pakistani.
One of my favorite strains mainly due to her amazing taste but the high isn’t bad either but the complexity of enjoyment this strain provides cant be summed up in a THC number. I must give credit to TCcurtiss who I have lost contact with but who introduced me to Frenchy Canoli. Frenchy as many of Weedworld Readers will know is extremely passionate about hash and he gave me a cutting of the Pinot and I grew it out and loved it. I knew I could add more resin and maybe a bit of flavor by crossing her to Vic High’s Space Queen my most prolific male plant, everything he touches gets better Like when we took Purple Urkle and made Querkle. I did a side by side for over a year and in every poll Querkle was chosen by visual resin production. When we grew out the first Cuvee’ seeds we were impressed with the rich thick cocoa smell that stood out early and got more and more like a deep chocolate mixed with currants or something, very exotic. I grew her a second time and then a third when I devoted my entire outdoor garden to the strain in 2017. All my life I have chased flavors first Lemon then lime, orange was something I chased and cherry and strawberry and watermelon. Most of these terps are fairly common but chocolate was something completely different. Cuvee is not that staggeringly potent but the complex taste and cannabinoid profile is just pleasing. Then there is the resin I mean it dumps caramel flavored trichomes all over hash screens, trim bins and bubblebags like no other. With skill producing a off white hash that fades to a golden color like caramel. Both Frenchy and the famous Waterhash maker Mr.Bond ran some of my outdoor just before the cobb fire destroyed my home in California.
Nights before the fire Frenchy was at my home and I tried to give him a cut of Cuvee as the one he was holding had some issues. He said in his thick accent “My friend Subcool I can’t I am staying over night in Sanfranscico”. A few days later Leo Stone of Aficionado Seeds was at my home and he is the person who gave Frenchy the cut. He to was not headed back up to Humbolt and said he would grab it another time.
We never got the chance and now his obligation to return the cut to me changed. The world of breeding and seeds changed fast to and things became extremely competitive so I could not reproduce Cuvee in original seed form any longer. I reached out and fans returned seeds to me they had acquired online. The first 5 pack had 2 broken seeds in a broken vial (we now use plastic) so I started 3 and got one female plant. This IMO is where the story gets interesting, I grow many strains in my current caregiver garden and there all amazing but the Cuvee quickly stood out again for resin production and happily a Chocolate female in just 3 seeds. I cloned her and the 6 plants just kicked complete ass in my garden and provided these amazing shots.
Insert Cuvee NEF.
I found several packs of Cuvee at some smaller shops and was able to get not only 20 of them but also some Tinto De Verano (Taste of Spring) and I started a few more in mid winter and found another nice female that I have growing in the bloom room now and she is already covered in fine resin. I would like to run through about a dozen females and then match her up with the male that I think will give me the best expression of the chocolate phenotype. I started 6 more seeds so I can slowly watch the development of each one. After several weeks under my new LED Cob vegative area the plants started to show sex, first one female then two then finally all 5 of the plants I kept were female. Now a seed is determined sex long before you plant it but I will always believe that are other environmental factors when it comes to plant sex. Regardless I have always gotten a insane number of females when germinating seeds. Lets hope the male plant I need is lurking in the remaining seeds.
The other option is to find the best female and make some new things I have 4 packs of Tinto De Verano in my safe as well. That is a cross of Pino Noir X JTR and the one female I grew out in the pool has so much resin I would consider it a mutation but it is probably just the strain JTR is known for increasing resin production 5 fold. I am now on my third rotation with the first female plant and so far she is the winner Turns a deep purple almost black. Has a very rich chocolate coffee smell along with just smelling like killer hash.

After some hard work we decided to f2 Cuvee and we have just dropped 20 packs to testers to see what happens. I will germinate both Cuvee and Cuvee 2 in My New Facility on Monday.

Sub

24 Likes

Damn that’s beautiful! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Damn is right where was I when the 20’s were handed out ? Great pictures of some colourful plants ,I’ll cross my fingers you find a male.

2 Likes

I am growing something that is supposed to be cuvee, but definitely did not flower out like what you pictured. It was a very dense and short plant with colas growing horizontally more so than vertically.

I had some purpling but not much. Granted nights were on the warmer side.

Kept a mom and have one going outdoors.

Indoor plants finished in just over 10 weeks in a 4x4 under 1k hortilux in coco DTW.

Does that sound right?

Cheers,
HH

3 Likes

I think I am going to paint that plant, amazing colors of orange and purples…

1 Like

I have a cross with Cuvee that I’m excited to try. But, I never got to have the original.

Best vibes on the f2 project. I’m going to stay tuned. peace

1 Like

You are collecting one impressive seed vault Mr. GMan!

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

I’m enjoying Colorado… the network continues to grow. I was so worried about 5 years ago when I got back into growing, that I would never get any of the cool genetics I was seeing on my new found weed forum. I was big in a homebrewing beer forum for 10 years before but weed forums was more better! But, I was in the financial crisis of my life.

Next thing I know in 2 years time I have been blessed with seed gifting and trading. I’m starting to get some things I’ve wanted but couldn’t buy these days…

Now, I’d really like to search all I have and work some of it to find the magic. Bodhi’s podcasts always make me feel like even I could find some great stuff if I put in the long hard work.

I hope to keep passing the generosity gene on to others… sharing is caring! peace

4 Likes

Ooh my 1st proper strain I got to grow was Cuvee. Was gifted some f2’s about 2/3 years ago. Incredibly frosty strain and the chocolate leaning ones taste so good.

3 Likes

Yeah was a good strain Cuveè … wish I had gotten another pack before they sold out everywhere… defs top shelf frost monsters and.makes a good hash… those F2 I sent you @anon98152597 got me a good mom too after I lost my mom from the original pack. That sour cherry chocolate pheno is the one I liked most too. I’d defs buy a pack of Cuvee f2s if they ever dropped

3 Likes

@Sunvalley, I believe I have a cross of yours that @Sebring sent me… UK Blues x Cuvee.? It sounds good to me!

3 Likes

Oh yeah give it a go. I got a great chocolate pheno from it too

3 Likes

I’ve been on he hunt for chocolate for a while so, I’ll be tickled at that! It must be a great match with UK blues.

Hey @Subcool, any timeline on the f2’s? Best vibes.

2 Likes

Yeah bro that cross has done well with a few guys so far out here that have grown those seeds. Most of them get a skunky chocolate musk pheno out a small run of seeds so you should find some chocolate phenos no doubt. The seed mom was a frosty sour cherry and strong chocolate pheno of @Subcool Cuveè covered by a UGrog Blues male

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this up. Sharing information and genetics is what OG is all about.

4 Likes

Agreed!! I definitely enjoy getting news straight from the horse’s mouth…

… hey Sub, not calling you a horse’s mouth, lol…

Bog has been giving a little history in his thread… I love it. peace

3 Likes