The Foraging Experience (The Morel and Mushroom Hunting Thread)

Laid them all out for a pre cut shot

In the bowl they go

8 Likes

I found a coupls of inky caps today just doing rounds outside… didn’t pick but had to capture it. It was growing in some :rabbit2: poo outside…

3 Likes

Today’s look around

6 Likes

It is illegal because when you do it yourself, no one is able to make money from selling it to you.

gasp and shock at this pure blasphemy…

1 Like

Found a decent haul yesterday. About 1/2 were already already past their prime. Still have a bunch of nice one tho that we’ll be cooking up tonight!

6 Likes

Well they shut down all state parks over the Covid outbreak and just recently started slowly reopening them

I really want to try this need to by a book on it
Just walking around my neighborhood I found these
They my not be edible but there pretty
Does any one know what they are

The one was the size of my foot

!

image|375x500 !

image|375x500

!

image|375x500

4 Likes

Could be delicious, could kill you or make you extremely sick…

Even with my fungi book it still could be one of 4 different fungi easy…what you’d need to do is sproe print it, look at those spore shapes under a microscope and compare it to the similar species it may be…

Honestly though, I would eat nothing white that pops from a yard as they are usually destroying angels or amanita bisporigera or amanita ocreata both of which will hurt you pretty badly if you happen to survive for 48hrs after eating them… could also be amanita thiersii because it’s in a yard which means they take good care of it, but still wouldn’t eat them…

5 Likes

I’ve been doing wild edible foraging for decades. Plants are pretty easy to learn from a book or youtube vids.
Mushrooms… don’t risk it! Seriously!

Find a local mushroom foraging club in your area and go on guided walks. Mushrooms have the potential to make you sick, or literally ruin your organs - like liver and kidneys (dialysis for rest of your life would suck), or give you a horrible, slow, agonizing death.

Unless it’s an easily 100% identifiable species (like Sulfur Shelf, which has no poisonous look-alikes) don’t risk it.

With the warnings said… Man, I wish we had morels like these in my region! I would definitely be gathering those. They look amazing!!

5 Likes

I heard the chanterelles are really popping at one of my spots. Supposed to get out on Sunday to check it out. Will post up some pics if it pans out. Pretty pumped, never had chanterelles before.

4 Likes

Thanks I would never try them with out an expert’s opinion

There is a mushroom foraging club locally I just may try it
Paps

2 Likes

Anyone been seeing any morels pop up recently? It’s a little early up north here, but soon.

4 Likes

Not yet but been watching the sighting climb higher daily

2 Likes

Here’s the Facebook morel map for missouri counties and it is climbing quick

Here’s my temps for next week after this week and last were high 50s mid 60s and raining

If it was up to me I’d say I have about 2 weeks before they start around me…

5 Likes

Been getting ready for it. Hoping to get to go out this year. Found out about a few new local spots that I wanna hit up this year. We occasionally find some in the yard

5 Likes

Battered and fried is how I like them. Grew up hunting morels in Iowa. Goes for about 25$ a lb last time I checked.

3 Likes

Up around our area they go for anywhere from $25-30 on low end and upwards of $60 on the high end

2 Likes

Thats why we hunt. No way I will ever pay 60 for a pound of morels.

3 Likes

I’m making a road trip to NC next week. Anyone from there on here? I’m hoping to have a couple days in the mountains hunting. I live up north near the lakes so we won’t see anything for another 3 weeks or so. I go running daily in the state park I usually hunt at and I’m starting to see signs of life. Looks to be an early year here.

1 Like