The Foraging Experience (The Morel and Mushroom Hunting Thread)

Exactly! Fuck that noise.

3 Likes

Took a look see today in this nice 70s weather

Looking alright from this angle but inside the woodsā€¦

Very green, lots of flowers and mossā€¦ The ground is warm and moist and just need a few warm days and itā€™s onā€¦ Mayapples are moving along early as well

2 Likes

Anyone mushroom hunting in the UP of Michigan?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been hitting the woods but nothing as of yet. People a few hours south of here are having black morels pop up.

2 Likes

Got folks in michigan and wisconsin finding them and Iā€™m in iowa finding squatā€¦

Good news is: I saw a photo of a nice grey morel not 20 mi north of meā€¦ Iā€™ll be out hard this weekend.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in the UP. Been considering going out on a weekend and doing some hunting this month.

4 Likes

Theyā€™re heeeeere ! Central Illinoisā€¦

9 Likes

You guys have me ready now. They are just starting to come up here. Iā€™ve heard of a few blacks being found. It rained and turned off cold here today but in the next week they should start coming on and Iā€™ll share some pics

2 Likes

What do you call those? We always called them woods mushrooms. They come in greyā€™s and yellow but never get very big. I had a woods use to produce them by the thousands but not so much anymore. If those are up the greyā€™s will be popping on the elms soon, probably are on the south facing hillsides. Iā€™m in central illinois also, better get my ass out

1 Like

I would call those morelsā€¦ small greyā€™s and a little yellow or white oneā€¦ Still a touch early but there are some out now lol

1 Like

Agreed, they are definitely a morel. We have a early small morel that they never get over a couple inches tall, everyone on this side of the state calls them woodsā€¦they are a short morel that are pretty firmā€¦for lack of better words, can be all different shades. The heads on them are a little different then the blacks or the greyā€™s and yellows we find later. I literally had a woods you could always find them by the hundreds once they really start coming on. Nice find by the way, definitely time to go

2 Likes

Ahhhh I call those landscapers or yard morels! I get what youā€™re saying now lol

2 Likes

I am going to have to catch up on reading this later, just found it. Lots of burn morels in Oregon right now.

2 Likes

We are going out tonight to check a few spots. Iā€™m close to Lake Erie so I may have a week before we see them. We were down in NC last weekend near Asheville and got skunked in the National Forest.

Apparently Boyne City Michigan has a Morel Festival every year. Anyone ever been? We are planning a trip up there in May. We will see.

https://bcmorelfestival.com/

2 Likes

Great thread peeps! Was wondering if anyone has blended up a morel and tried to propagate in their own landscapes? Seems to me like Iā€™v seen people try this in videos Iā€™v seen.

2 Likes

If any one would be will to throw down some spores on tinfoil Iā€™d be happy to try it in a pile of wood chips or something similar.

2 Likes

I got a predone morel spawn bag last summer and put it in the ground so the next couple weeks Iā€™ll be watching the spot I buried themā€¦ Says guaranteed to grow morels first yearā€¦ Donā€™t know how subsequent years will go but def ready to pick in my yard lol

3 Likes
1 Like

Do you have a source @toastyjakes ?

2 Likes

Iv tried shiitake in logs in the past and it looked like they got inoculated but never fruited for me for some reason ,Iv had luck with oyster in the past in different types of media though.

3 Likes