The LED hack shack and other tall tales

The 6666 test is going, and the plants are growing well.
Im impressed, I had expected them to grow less.

And here is a comparison shot, over the first 12 days of 6666.

11 day’s in and there are first roots in Tacocat, bottom heat and more hours of light.
It clearly helps to speed up rooting, a few days and I hope the rest have rooted.
About 1/3 of the clones are showing roots, majority of them are THHxC99XC99.
So the BLB is a bit slower, but one or two had roots.

11 Likes

Two weeks, not all of them are ready yet, but it’s getting there.

Clearly the THHxC99XC99 roots faster, and man do it smell awesome in flower.
Very sweet smell, like Pineapple candyfloss or something.

7 Likes

Jungle time!

Day 24

New res - lucas formular + mg

pH 5.67
Ec 1.6

7 Likes

Two weeks into the 6666 experiment, tonight they will get their first night of 12/12.

Rearrange the plants a little, sorting them a bit after size and making sure each pheno have plenty of free space to develop, big or small.

I was gifted this a long time ago, figure I will give this a go.
Im not a fan of one part nutrients for flower, but again I am not a man to waste a bag and throw it out.

I will give it a shot, for a test grow under test lights, vegged under a test cycle.

pH 5.9
Ec 1.2

4 Likes

Another test - Ozone bulp for odour neutralisation.
I installed it in the box fan, for my cabinet/cooltube exhaust.

E27 Bulp socket, M10 pipe and two M10 bolt.

20W bulp, should deal with the smell from a 1000W HPS grow in flower.

I have connected the light to the Fan power inlet, so the bulp will be lit when the fan is on.
The fan is running on a fan controller, that might effect the bulp or the fan controller.

Lights on!

The cooltubes vent out into the attic, so the ozone will have time to mix up there as well.
Time will tell if the ozone will seap into the garage or, just vent out of the attic outlet under the roof.

7 Likes

2nd LED Flower test

Transplanted the new clones, and moved them into the cabinet I flipped into 12/12 last night.

So the right side, is one night a head of the new clones.

I topped these two THHxC99XC99, as they have streached quite alot in the other room. The reason they have much more space, I hope this way they will fill out their space nicely with 5-6 branched tops each.

10 Likes

Day 25

Topped the res a bit, as the pH had dropped a lot over night down to 5.56. Evened out around pH 6.0 and 1.5 Ec.

BLB

pH 5.97
Ec 1.4

Depending on how it’s looking tomorrow, I aim to raise the Ec back up around 1.5

9 Likes

LED Flower day 1 (+1 for the right side)

To make everything a little easyer, I will reset the count on the right side. It’s one day, won’t matter much and now it’s noted.

Made a little more space between the THHxC99XC99 and BLB clones.

pH 5.9
Ec 1.2

Sprayed them with fish-mix folia feed last light, and gave them a quick mist with pH adjusted water today.
They look to have transplanted well, some look like they have started to react to the new enviroment.

6 Likes

Day 2

pH 5.80
Ec 1.2

pH is dropping, will top with tap water tomorrow.
Take the Ec down a little, and bumping up the pH again.

Day 27

Topped the res with tap water, as the pH had dropped quite a bit after I raised the Ec back up to 1.5 yesterday.

pH 5.95
ec 1.4

8 Likes

Day 28

THHxC99XC99

pH 6.0
Ec 1.4

Day 3

pH 5.82
Ec 1.2

11 Likes

I wanted to ask @Palindrome, how do you size your rez?

I imagine the amount of nutrient solution has to be great enough to offer some ph stability, but low enough to make rez changes economical. Would it be proportional to the amount of light on the canopy, and the footprint of the canopy? Is there a rule of thumb that would tell me something like “for 2x600w lights in a 1x2m space use X litres”?

2 Likes

There might be a formular for it, but I can’t remember it if there are.

My ruel of thumb is 6-8 liter res per plant, but I don’t remember where I got the numbers from.
If its from experiance, some other grower or if I picked it up during my studying.

Ii don’t seem make much difference with fewer and larger plants, or many small plants.
The amount of folia will be around the same, it might be as easy to say, I have aprox 125L res per sq meter flow table.
Thinking about it, I have not notices the res to be more unstabil now with 28 plants, compared to first run with only 12 plants I vegged to fill out the space.

About the ecomonical part your right, it have to be some what proportional. On the other hand it don’t matter that much, if I wanna veg my plants let’s say a week in the room. Id only fill the res a little bit, as the small plants won’t need 6 liters per plant. Once veg is done, I can just top the res up with flower nutes. Run that for the first 3 weeks, do a compleate res change. Run flower on that res, for the next 3-4 weeks and I start flushing. Depending on strains, but I run most things 9-10 weeks, unless it’s like now where I run alot of haze and expect it to run anywhere from 12-16 weeks.

I find that with a large and stabil res, I don’t need to change the reservior very often. So I might pour a large amount of nutes into the res to begin with, but I feel that in the long run I don’t really waste much of it.

When I started growing again, I got for 120€ nutrients, im on my 3rd grow and I think I will be able to finish it on the first jugs of nutrients. Say I do and this crop will be like the first two, around 2 lbs of dry buds. Thats 6lbs for 120€ worth of nutrients in 2018, I don’t know how much other growers use. But to me that sounds very reasonable!

Hope this is helpful

2 Likes

Super helpful, thank you!
…And fitting, I have a 200L rez sitting around, and my area is 1.7 sq. m.
Might try instead of DTW

1 Like

Day 30

THHxC99XC99

BLB #1

Bumped up the feed again
pH 5.83
Ec 1.6

Flower day 5 in the LED cabinet

10 Likes

Day 32

pH 5.5
Ec 1.6

Day 7

9 Likes

Day 9

Changed the reservior today, a bit late but I have been slacking a little. The plan was weekly res changes, I will try to stick to it.

pH 6.3
Ec 1.2

The one part flower nutrient from GreenHouse seeds, says it’s best to flower them between 5.8 and 6.5 pH. So I am trying that, I have always done 5.5-5.8 pH in aeroponics.

Day 34

THHxC99XC99

BLB

Topped the reservior with tapwater, didn’t add any extra nutrients.

pH 6.2
Ec 1.4

8 Likes

Day 36

Leaving for 8 days holiday

Filled the 66 Gal res to the limit, and will be crossing my fingers. Hoping that they won’t drink it all, they are 5 weeks into 12/12 and haven’t been defoiled.

Hooked up the dehumidifyer to run at night, and it drains to the res.

pH 6.2
Ec 1.5

8 Likes

Back from my Vacation, hope everyone have had a good time what ever you have been celebrating or not celebrating in the past week.

Got back just in time to put them girls to bed on the 8th day, and I didn’t do anything besides add some water to the reserviors in the LED closet.

The HPS grow have only used about 1/3 of the reservior, and the pH are in acceptable range. That I didn’t care to do jack about it, after about 12 hours behind the wheel.

pH 5.45
Ec 1.6

The LED flower test, well some of them kinda grew a little into the lights.

Raised the lights, added a bit or water to both reserviors. The veg res was empty, the flower res in the LED closet was 2/3 full like the other room.

Didn’t do any readings, will be a task for tomorrow.

7 Likes

Day 45

THHxC99XC99

BLB

pH 6.3
Ec 1.4

Basicly just topped the reservior with tap water

Day 18

Changed the res and upped the Ec a bit

pH 6.00
Ec 1.5

10 Likes

Happy new years Overgrowers!

My new year resolution is: Grow more weed!

The hackshack is getting too cramped, I have way too much I wanna do and too little space to do it.
But with the LED strips that it’s possible, to utilize the space much better then with HID.
And it’s been very interresting, to come back after 10 years and find LED had improved as much as it has.

There for I have desided to build a LED flower closet, with 6 individual cabinets a little bigger then my veg cabinets.
Stacking 3 layers of SOG, growing 12/12 from clone.

This have always been my prefered way of growing, when I grew Aeroponics, as I could do 5 crops a year in each room.
Many years ago, I dreamed about building aeroponic PVC pipe collluseum systems. For optimal use of the room height, but in the end they there to costly to build and more a “pipe dream”
While doing research on LED’s, COB’s and CMH 315W lights, I came across some commercial med grow solutions. For industrial growing, and they where stacking 3 layers of plants.

If they can do it, so can I … or well I am gonna try!

As some of thouse who have followed along, you already know - I like to plan shit a head.
Even tho I have a ton of experiance in all this (from many years ago), it’s better to draw it up and change it on paper.
Then halfway thru the build … okay I often still end up changing stuff up half way.
But it’s minor things, and mistakes happen … what can I say, im a stoner like you :smiley:

A ruler, a pencil and some squared paper, will go a long way in cutting costly errors and mistakes.
So if you don’t own all three, go buy what’s missing from the 3-some.
Do this before you buy your next gram of weed! (If your planing to become a grower)

This is not my first plan drawing, and have been showing it to other DIY ppl and grower.
Changed things up, when I got better suggestions and ideas.

So here we go!
Over all design and airflow plan.

Two floor reservoirs, with a central space between the two stacks of cabinets.
Passive intake in the bottom side of each cab, and a active 100 mm adjustable outtake.
Letting me run all 6 cabinets on one exhaust fan, by opening or closing the outtake “Valvs”

Each cab will have a light grit of 6 sq ft, and 2 ft of head space from media to light.
The media will be drip fed hydroton in small square pots, no surprice there I guess.

If this works out as hoped and planed, I will get a 1/3 larger grow area on much less space.
Running the same wattage, with a fair chance for a higher GPW.

This it gonna be a good year, I can feel it and hope you feel it too!

9 Likes