Welcome to the Groffice
I have been working on this idea, for quite some time now.
As after I got back to growing, I quickly realised that I was short of space. As well a needed more to fill out my time, so what better to do then expand the grow?!?
I love building, growing and experimenting.
And even tho I live in a house, IMO big for only two people.
The misses and I are not always on even terms, on what good use of a spare room's could be.
But being the man of the house, I always get the final word .... 'Yes Ma'am'.
There for I am expanding in the garage.
I don't have alot of free space left, as I do share the garage with a car and my workshop.
But it works, drive the car out of the garage and I can move my table saw/work table around.
Last year I put up a new wall in the garage, deviding it up and making a small extra room.
At first to be have a space in the garage, that don't get covered in wood dust all the time.
But also to make a lungroom, that was insulated for the winter season. Now that didn't work out as well as hoped, but it gave me this option.
As it is now, I have an office in the house.
Where I spend a lot of time, and do alot of smoking.
I constantly have a window cracked open, and in the winter that is a waste of heat.
By moving everything into the garage, I won't waste as much energy, as I do now and use the heat, im anyway venting out of my office.
The Groffice messures 3x3,2 meters, and the height of the room is 2,35 meters.
Layout: Top view of the Garage building
It's a sketch, the messurements are not accurate.
Just to give an idea of the layout, and how to use the space optimal.
And talking about optimal use of space, that's a big part of this whole project and experiment.
I wish to stack 3 layers of flowering plants, in each flower closet under LED Strip lights.
A flat reservoir devided in two, under two closets with 3 indevidual cabinets.
Pulling air from the groffice, venting into the attic thru two 125 mm metal ducts.
With a Ozone bulp, build into the a box fan in the attic.
This eleminates any potential ozone damage done to the plants, and protects my eyes from harmfull UV rays.
The bulp was 12€ on Aliexpress, and should run a year before it needs to be changed.
Im told a 20W bulp will cover the smell of a 1K watt HPS grow in flower.
I will need to order more bulps, in the end I should end up with something around 2400 Watt's of Flower (HPS & LED) and 500 Watt's of Veg.
If everything is running at max capacity.
My guess is 3x 20W will cover my needs, as the drying will also be adding something to the mix.
One in each flower boxfan, and the last one in the vent from the dry cabinet.
Giving me the option to turn that one off, when I not drying anything.
Now I have only just started the build, so this will be a follow along thread.
I will do my best not to drag the build out too long, but again I am not in anyway a pro handyman.
I like to do things right, and some times that forces me to redo things, that im not happy with.
First part of the build is the reservoir
It's made from 12 and 15 mm plywood, with 25 mm of insulation in the bottom.
20 mm Styrofoam
5 mm foam with alu IR reflector
This should provide some insulation from the cold concreat floor, otherwise heating the large flat reservoirs.
Would be a big cost, and something I would need to do most of the year.
More insulation would have been better, but I have limited height given I wanna stack 3 grows in the remaining space.
Cutting plywood for the reservoir
Welcome to HighKEA
Bottom sheets, front, back, side and middle pannels.
Predrilled everything with a 3mm drill, before screwing everything together. Working in a narrow space, when building a box you want to go from wall to wall. And screwed together, well enough to hold water, plants and at least parts of a large cabinet ontop.
12 mm Bottom sheet, it was supposed to be 15 mm.
But some stoner idiot got lost in the workshop, cut the wrong sheet up. (me)
The 12 mm, was for the back and side panels. That is supported by the walls, and mainly just to make it easyer to break down.
If we deside to sell the house, some time in the future.
I am anyway gonna polyester coat it, so i'll just throw in a little glass as well.
Then it will be strong enough, even if the bottom bends a little over time.
After fucking around in the HighKEA workshop, it was time to screw around with the drill bit.
Mounting the back and side panels, screwing them from the bottom.
Getting everything to fit, so it's both in line in front and in the back.
Along with the outerwalls, that was put up by the prev. owner. And if you have followed my first thread "A New Start", you will know he don't belive in the leveling spirit.
Flipped it down, and pushed it out from the wall.
To screw it from behind!
Time to screw it from a different direction, so puched it up against the wall .... hard!
To get it in place, with nice snug fit.
Now to screwing it front position
Front panel on
Now for a big sticky final, I seamed up the gap.
All the way around the res and wall, after screwing back and side pannels into the surrounding walls.
Until next time:
Stay high and keep your fingers out of the chopsaw!