The LED hack shack and other tall tales

@Palindrome Looking great in there bro. Quite a sight to behold.

Keep killing it.

Bonged

2 Likes

Just sat here and read the majority of this thread in one sitting.

Nicely done man!

fr0g_D

1 Like

Thanks a lot guys!

I will try to keep killing it :slight_smile:

The HPS flower room is booming!

THHxC99XC99

BLB

pH 5.6
Ec 1.5

6 Likes

At it again !! :space_invader:

5 Likes

omg omg omg
Do it !!!
And more pics please :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I will !!!

And I won’t cheat anyone for loads of pictures, I have been working on this idea for some time now.
Drawing plans and going over ideas on paper, while I have been doing my DIY light tests.

My last build where kinda done, before I joined this new OG. This time I will share the build for inspiration, as inspiration to others.

7 Likes

Love the idea of micro growing in racks. Not sure how that would be with DEEP water culture and that’s the way I know how to grow. Would be nice not having to run so much veg growing big plants.

3 Likes

My first idea was to do DWC racks, but I am afraid for the water temp.
If I had a bit more height, I am sure I would be able to just add an 25mm of insulation between layers.

But I already did 25mm in the bottom, if the two top layers should have another 25 mm each.
I am afraid the head space will end up too tight, to run anything but fast flowering indicas.

It would also cost a bit more, and be more work then a drip system.
That said, if you can grow DWC. You can also grow, like im doing with drip in hydroton.
There is little to no difference in the acctual growing, mixing nutes and all that.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Groffice

I have been working on this idea, for quite some time now.
As after I got back to growing, I quickly realised that I was short of space. As well a needed more to fill out my time, so what better to do then expand the grow?!?

I love building, growing and experimenting.
And even tho I live in a house, IMO big for only two people.
The misses and I are not always on even terms, on what good use of a spare room’s could be.
But being the man of the house, I always get the final word … ‘Yes Ma’am’.

There for I am expanding in the garage.

I don’t have alot of free space left, as I do share the garage with a car and my workshop.
But it works, drive the car out of the garage and I can move my table saw/work table around.

Last year I put up a new wall in the garage, deviding it up and making a small extra room.
At first to be have a space in the garage, that don’t get covered in wood dust all the time.
But also to make a lungroom, that was insulated for the winter season. Now that didn’t work out as well as hoped, but it gave me this option.

As it is now, I have an office in the house.
Where I spend a lot of time, and do alot of smoking.
I constantly have a window cracked open, and in the winter that is a waste of heat.

By moving everything into the garage, I won’t waste as much energy, as I do now and use the heat, im anyway venting out of my office.

The Groffice messures 3x3,2 meters, and the height of the room is 2,35 meters.

Layout: Top view of the Garage building

It’s a sketch, the messurements are not accurate.
Just to give an idea of the layout, and how to use the space optimal.

And talking about optimal use of space, that’s a big part of this whole project and experiment.
I wish to stack 3 layers of flowering plants, in each flower closet under LED Strip lights.

Closet Layout:

A flat reservoir devided in two, under two closets with 3 indevidual cabinets.
Pulling air from the groffice, venting into the attic thru two 125 mm metal ducts.
With a Ozone bulp, build into the a box fan in the attic.

This eleminates any potential ozone damage done to the plants, and protects my eyes from harmfull UV rays.
The bulp was 12€ on Aliexpress, and should run a year before it needs to be changed.
Im told a 20W bulp will cover the smell of a 1K watt HPS grow in flower.

I will need to order more bulps, in the end I should end up with something around 2400 Watt’s of Flower (HPS & LED) and 500 Watt’s of Veg.
If everything is running at max capacity.
My guess is 3x 20W will cover my needs, as the drying will also be adding something to the mix.
One in each flower boxfan, and the last one in the vent from the dry cabinet.
Giving me the option to turn that one off, when I not drying anything.

Now I have only just started the build, so this will be a follow along thread.
I will do my best not to drag the build out too long, but again I am not in anyway a pro handyman.
I like to do things right, and some times that forces me to redo things, that im not happy with.

First part of the build is the reservoir

It’s made from 12 and 15 mm plywood, with 25 mm of insulation in the bottom.

20 mm Styrofoam

5 mm foam with alu IR reflector

This should provide some insulation from the cold concreat floor, otherwise heating the large flat reservoirs.
Would be a big cost, and something I would need to do most of the year.
More insulation would have been better, but I have limited height given I wanna stack 3 grows in the remaining space.

Cutting plywood for the reservoir

Welcome to HighKEA

Bottom sheets, front, back, side and middle pannels.

Predrilled everything with a 3mm drill, before screwing everything together. Working in a narrow space, when building a box you want to go from wall to wall. And screwed together, well enough to hold water, plants and at least parts of a large cabinet ontop.

12 mm Bottom sheet, it was supposed to be 15 mm.
But some stoner idiot got lost in the workshop, cut the wrong sheet up. (me)
The 12 mm, was for the back and side panels. That is supported by the walls, and mainly just to make it easyer to break down.
If we deside to sell the house, some time in the future.

I am anyway gonna polyester coat it, so i’ll just throw in a little glass as well.
Then it will be strong enough, even if the bottom bends a little over time.

After fucking around in the HighKEA workshop, it was time to screw around with the drill bit.

Mounting the back and side panels, screwing them from the bottom.

Getting everything to fit, so it’s both in line in front and in the back.
Along with the outerwalls, that was put up by the prev. owner. And if you have followed my first thread “A New Start”, you will know he don’t belive in the leveling spirit.

Flipped it down, and pushed it out from the wall.

To screw it from behind!

Time to screw it from a different direction, so puched it up against the wall … hard!
To get it in place, with nice snug fit.

Now to screwing it front position

Front panel on

Now for a big sticky final, I seamed up the gap.
All the way around the res and wall, after screwing back and side pannels into the surrounding walls.

Until next time:
Stay high and keep your fingers out of the chopsaw!

9 Likes

Cutting rungs … chop chop!

7 Likes

Day 54

BLB

THH x C99 X C99

C5 Haze

9 Likes

That THH x C99 looks killer. Well they all do.:snowflake::snowflake::snowflake:

Looking great bud.

2 Likes

Started to put up the frame, for the two closets.

Passive air intake for each cabinet

End and midt section, reservoir covers.

It’s starting to take shape!

14 Likes

Looking great so far! Stellar progress pics…yup, I am taking notes :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@MomOnTheRun Take all the notes u need, and feel free to ask questions now or later on if needed.
I try my best to make the pictures as clear, and on point to show what I am doing.

Today i mounted the rim on the reservoir, to hold the bottom plate in place.
Gabs will make sure, water drains back into the reservoir.

Next step will be cutting the access hatches for the reservoirs, for daily maintainens.

11 Likes

:snowflake::snowflake:Tom Hill Haze x Cindy99 X Cindy99 from Wallyduck :snowflake::snowflake:

Day 57

13 Likes

Prepping the wood for the fiberglass, coating the woodknots. As the pine resin and polyester resin, will react and screw up the curing.
Learned that the last time, so skipping the step where I have to redo everything like last time.

Another option is also to buy Marine plywood, there is no woodknots and no airgabs between layers.
But I am not building a sailboat here, it will only need to be strong enough to hold water. No twist or turns, shaking or other mechanical stress. Cheap plywood and plaster, hell yeah we will make it work!

12 Likes

C5 mango

Getting more and more buff for each day!

9 Likes

Flower day 31 China LED flower test #2

BLB

THHxC99

10 Likes

Fiberglasing the reservoir or starting at least, will take a few days to get done.

To start with I heated the room up to 20C degrees, cut glass strips to match the seems. As once you start working with the polyester, you have about 30 min work time til it starts to cure.
And you get sticky gloves, making it impossibe to cut the glass.
Without it getting it everywhere, and you will pull lot’s of strands out of the mat.

Rolled out a layer of polyester resin mixed with hardener, in the edges where the sides and bottom sheets meet.
Folded the strips on the middle, layed it on the bottom edge.
With the fold into the corner, and then lifted and softly pressed the upper side of the folded strip. Towards the sides of the res, to get it stick to the plywood side.
With the roll I soaked the fiber mat, and worked it into the seams/corners.
After all the glass was in, I took a ridged alu roll and worked out any air bubbles. This is most important, where there are multiple layers of glass.

I put in two layers of glass, in the back of the reservoir.
Then desided it was overkill, and would only take up more resin to make it waterproof.

Now it have to cure, next is giving it another 3-4 thin layers of polyester. And coat the lit in polyester, not to forget :smiley:

9 Likes