The LED hack shack and other tall tales

Going all out with the fiberglass!? Your brain is similar to mine I gathered from reading all this.

You’ve inspired me to plan out a cab grow. I just need to learn a more forgiving grow technique. I feel like dwc buckets are too tall and would warm up too much and I’m having a hard time envisioning a multi tier RDWC.

Is that white thing hanging a temp sensor?

3 Likes

Where you also dropped on your head as a child? :smile:

Yes it’s a temp/humidity sensor, just a cheap ebay unit.

I would advice you to look into expanded clay pepples/hydroton drip, it will be a easy switch from DWC to recycling drip.

Drippers and driphose cost very little on ebay, a few pots and a bag of expanded clay from the hardware store.
Would be fairly cheap to setup a small test rig, connected to one of your DWC units as res.

3 Likes

I use hydroton in my DWC so I have that already. I dabbled with flood and drain for a little bit but couldn’t get the plants to look right. Not sure if I just wasn’t feeding enough (was feeding what my DWC plants liked). I also dabbled with coco DTW so I have all the tubing and stakes and octo arms.

Once I build up a good bud supply(does that ever happen, lol) I can find time for experiments.

I love DWC but all the added equipment adds up on the electrics that could be used running more lights or better climate controls

1 Like

I tested a bunch of Wilma systems many years ago, so I have grown a few grows in flood n drain systems.
Along with their drip systems, and it was my experiance the drip was easyer and way more forgiving.

In the flood n drain the water lvl had to be absolute right, too low the clones would grow slow. Too high the RW cubes I root clones in would get wet, and the weight made the clones slowly sink to the bottom, as the hydroton started to float.
Using a differen cloning media might help that issue, but also had issues with salt buildups in the top layer later in flower.

With drip feeding, I don’t have the use for a airpump humming.
Sure the waterings are a bit more noizy, but it’s 15 min and it’s off for hours.
I keep a circulation pump running on the bottom of the res, with a hoze zip-tied to a float. So the outlet always make sure there is surface movement, and the nutrients are mixed around at all times.

3 Likes

Day 62

10 Likes

Day 62

C5 Mango

8 Likes

Back to the build!

Yesterday all I did was sanding, smoothing the surface and edges of the glass mats.
Evening out small lumps and possible air gabs, between layers and preping for the next layer.

Cleaned it up good this morning and whiped it down, removing all dust and dirt left on the surface after the vacuum cleaning.
Then cut a few strips of glass, to fit the bottom seems. Where the 3 bottom sheets of plywood connects, to reinforce the bottom of the reservoir.

Also put in a bit of extra glass, to reinforce the front corners. Where the front panel and reservoir devider meets, I had a strip of cut off glass that was a perfect fit. Better safe then sorry … right.

Now I just need to let it cure, then sand a little more. Clean, whipe down and the rest should just be top coats of polyester resin.

8 Likes

4th layer done, and started to coat the underside of the lit parts.

12 Likes

About week more and it chould be chop time for the THH x C99 X C99, Cheese and BLB clones.

Looks like the RH is low enough, to run them 10 weeks with low risk of bud rot.

12 Likes

Okay the BLB pheno #1 have hermied, what a cunt!

So here is the only right way to deal with hermies, so they won’t hermie in your flower room again.

It’s quite easy, and works 100% of the time!

Step one, find the corresponding mother plant and take it a bit away from the rest of your plants.

Step 2 - no explanation needed

Repeate Step 2 untill you get this result.

Now bin it, and get some better genetics!

12 Likes

Got the top parts of the reservoirs in place, pre-drilled holes for the screws and cleaned up a bit.

Put in a seam, covering the screw holes. Pressed the top sheets in place, after sanding a few edges clean of polyester runnings.

Last I mounted the two cut out’s, on a sheet of plywood.
To make a access hatch, to the two reservoirs for daily messurements.

Next will be more frame work, and I have to make the fake bottom/lit’s to cover the rest of the reservoirs.
I won’t be able to just make one big sheet, as I don’t think I will be able to get them in and out of the cabinets.
Due to the middle support beam, so gonna make it in 2 parts, that will interlock on the middle.

Should be lot’s of “fun”

9 Likes

More frame work, to hold the shelves.
They are tilted slightly, to make them drain towards the middle of the construction.

10 Likes

14 Likes

Thrilled to see the end result! :sunny:

4 Likes

Just stick around, at some point I will be done with the Groffice.

This is just the first steps, also have to build the drying cab and a move the veg closet in there as well.
Put in some kinda floor, a desk and my computer :smiley:

Moved on to make the lits, after I droped something into the res. Now I have my first fix … ffs im not even halfway done LOL

What the hell, the lits and bottom sheets for the shelves will all need polyester coating as well. So it’s not like I am done messing around with that, just sucks to break something I just finished.

Easy access for cleaning, just flip the bottoms up after harvest.
Once coated, they will hold plants for many many years

Now it’s time for a fat joint and a ice cold beer!

Cheers everyone!

17 Likes

You earned it. :beers:

5 Likes

Thank you @ReikoX :smiley:

A little update on the LED flower test, they are 37 days into 12/12 and so far looking more and more like laugh.

THHxC99XC99

Mix

BLB

Good thing it’s just a question about going into the flower room, where they are getting fat and ripe.
Creaping up on the 10th week, here we are at 65 days in 12/12.

11 Likes

Went to one of my favorite places, the Church of S’weed’en, home of shitty and cheap furniture - IKEA!

Ikea is good for cheap cupboard doors, I find it hard to make them cheaper myself.

But turned out, the hinges wasn’t cheap at all.
As the cheap hinges didn’t fit the cheap cupboard doors, I guess they have to make their money some where.

Sorry IKEA, you got nothing on me.
Came to think about it, the misses have been wanting me to redo our bathroom.
Personal I don’t really see the reason, to me it looks nice and not worn down.

First step in the redo, tomorrow while the misses is at work.
Turn the cupboards into shelves, and salvage 8 set’s of hinges.
I’ll leave the door’s under the sink, covering drain pipes and stuff.
I had one set extra hinges at home, so in the end I’ll now only need to pick up one set of hinges.

9 Likes

Found my old tumbler today, havent seen it for 10 years.
After I finaly figured out, where I had stored it back then.

11 Likes

Started to mount the cupboard doors, takes a a bit of time to fit them.

8 Likes