The LED hack shack and other tall tales

You will always be welcome at the Hack Shack :nerd:

Im looking forward to getting to the next level of my testing and playing with LED’s
Another 3 days or so and I’ll be harvesting the 2nd LED flower test, it’s looking all right so far.

2 Likes

Looks great to me. Nice and chunky, tight nodal spacing. Those plants are definitely getting enough light.

1 Like

Day 89

Still no ambers in sight

Getting close to 13 weeks in 12/12 :snail:

5 Likes

I think I got all the cracks fixed, and got filled in all the small holes.
Will know tomorrow, it’s almost cured and looks fine.
A last sanding and a final top coat will go on tomorrow.

6 Likes

Great read through this thread. youve got some skills bro. good job

2 Likes

Atm it feels more like it’s a matter of patience and stubbornness, at least with this waterproofing project LOL

Aaahh well I have plenty of time, but this have taken alot more time and effort then I had expected.
The cracked topcoat have been some curveball, and proven harder to fix then first assumed.
Small holes kept reapearing, that was covered while wet but as the polyester hardend. It reapeared as small pin needle holes, so I desided that before I put on the last layer of polyester.
I covered all the “pin needle” holes with fiberglass paddy, then sand it down again and do the final topcoat.

5 Likes

It have cured up nicely, just need to give it a final light sanding tomorrow.

Still wet on the pictures

5 Likes

And it’s about done, still need a slight polish.
But the shop was out of the fine grades sandpaper, that I needed.

Looking good!

5 Likes

Water testing :dolphin:

Will it hold water?

7 Likes

It’s 13 weeks flower for the LED test, still no ambers (have not checked today) but I will give them longer time.
Cut the light hours back to 10/14 a few days ago, and they are starting to yellow up a bit. The BLB is still very green, the Tohici99’s are fading better/faster.

Now it’s been a while since I have been posting anything about the Veg closet, and the hacked china LED’s.

And from the count of dead chips, in the 1400 mA light, compared to the 700 mA light. Id say 1400 mA’s is a bit too much, for these cheap dualrow strips at least on the heatsinks used.
Non the less, the 1400 mA light have done 13 weeks so far and some of the strips are fine. A bigger heatsink, and better solderings might been the key to make it last longer.

For veg the 700 mA light is doing a nice job, it creates a dence even canopy and no heat to speak of.
If you on a budget and like to do DIY stuff, this is a cheap short term solution that works.

For the clone section, I am still just running 14.5 Watt china LED.

And here we go:

12 Likes

Great thread and your carpentry skills are excellent. I like how you get by with what you can and then improve on it if needed.

3 Likes

Thank you mate

I guess I live my life like that in many aspects, love playing around, and I generate a lot of ideas, trying to learn from them no matter if they fail or are a success.

Biggest problem is im kinda easily bored and distracted, might also be why I am so critical in my selection of my smoke.
It really have to be something ‘something’, or I don’t care to waste my time growing or smoking it.

The Tohici99 is really nice, but loong ass flowering time. 12-14 weeks :kissing_closed_eyes:
The Cheese cut, it is cheese - it’s very nice. But bypass my carbon filter ½ way thru flower. :radioactive:

I got another sat dom C99 cross I would like to try out, along with some Chem D x C99 (Chemdarella) seeds.
Just a bit scared the Chem D’s hermie triats, that they are passed on everywhere it’s used.
The BLB is getting killed off, no reson to keep that mom around. It’s like her retard off-spring, stands up but keep pissing standing towards the end.
It’s a terrible mess, and I don’t dig it.
Anyway the next trial will be Zoidfuel x C99, and see if I can find a short fat pheno that won’t take 12-14 weeks. But if im lucky might be done in 10 weeks, that would be nice indeed.

5 Likes

Moved the Tohici99 “transplants” closer to the light, and upped their feeding a bit.

A week have passed, and they have turned fairly yellow. Mostly the “lunch pack” leafs, left there for rooting but I have not been paying enough attention I think.

6 Likes

What a great thread. Just wanted to scroll through, but ended up reading everything. Im with everyone else, very very impressive. It is quite the inspiration to upgrade my set up.

Earlier you were trying to clone at 6/6/6/6, which caught my attention. I have been vegging for years on a modified light schedule depending on growth structure. I have been using a 12/5/1/6 schedule to give them the minumum light needed. The bonus of this, the nodes stack much tighter (great for the stretchy ones), and the big one is that time for the onset of flower at 12/12 goes down by 5-9 days. I did a side by side a several years ago else where, sadly its gone.

Good luck and keep up the amazing work
-GH

4 Likes

Yeah cloning under the 6/6/6/6 cycle didn’t save anything, ended up using more energy then had I done 18/6
But it have potential for slow veg, to keep clones short and they pack the notes a little tighter it seems.

Thanks for your positive feedback, always nice to be able to give others inspiration.

Trynig to kick myself into gear, I got a few things I need to get done.
Clean my cooltubes, and get ready to transplant the Tohici99 clones and switch them to 12/12

4 Likes

Today was transplant day for the Tohici99 clones

Moved from the LED Veg closet

To the HPS flower room

Looking forward to do this mono crop, it’s first time ever doing a mono crop indoor with a 14 week Satdom cross.

Im starting them up gently, placed the lights fairly high for them to adjust a litle to the new light.

pH 5.63
Ec 1.2

6 Likes

I had planed to chop today on day 98 (14 weeks), but didn’t get around to get started after planting the clones.
Getting the pH adjusted and dialed in the exhaust, as temps are no longer -10C outside.

I will chop tomorrow, if I get around to it.

Still no ambers on the BLB, I find it kinda odd with the genetics that should have been used for this cross. Anyway it hermied, each and every pheno. Not gonna waste more time on this, so this is good buy and soo long.

9 Likes

Working on design ideas for the new Gen3 light, not done but it’s getting some where.

4 Likes

Progress so far

130 cm wide

120 cm wide

120 cm in the closet, for size ref.

4 Likes

Tohici99 Flower day 2

pH 5.57
Ec 1.2

Harvested the LED closet today, at day 100
Cleaned up the closet and trimmed

7 Likes