The LED hack shack and other tall tales

Been busy with the cooling frames for my strips, worked a little more on my design.
Made the add on “bolts” twice as long, so the go thru more bars and it becomes more ridget.

So far I have a good feeling with this design, tho it takes long time to put together.
I like that I am able to adjust the space between the strips, if I wanna widen or narrow down the light grit.
At they are now, the light grit will be 120 x 40 cm (4.8 sq ft) The space in each cab is 130 x 70 cm (9 sq ft)

I was a bit quick to drill test holes, and fucked up a bit.
Never the less, I got test hung my first Gen3 light and that made me happy.

A little wise I messured up better for the 2nd light, and redrilled the mistake I made earlyer.
To fix the M8 threaded rods in place, I use some “threading inserts” I don’t know what they are called in english.
But thats what they are, a little metal tube with internal threading for bolts. And on the outside a threading for wood or plaster, depending on the type of outer threading.

Predrilled 9 mm holes

Insert mounted on a DIY insert tool, for easy instalation and this way I am sure the internal threading isn’t busted.

Bump it gentle with a hammer, to let the threading catch and screw it in by turning the nut with a spanner.

Once in it’s just a matter of loosing the nut, and the M8 rod is loose and screws out easy.

Now to mount the M8 rods, this what would take for ever!

So drilled the “resting” hole in the back of the closet deeper then it needed, cut the rods down and pushed em down the back holes. And I was able to thread it thru the insert, from behind and save a lot of time litterly screwing around.

To hang the lights I have used, musky steel leaders for musky fishing.
They are stong enough for big fish, cheap on ebay and come in 3 differnt lengths.
Best part was I already had them in my tackle box :smiley:

Top position, hanging in S hooks.

9 Likes

The Tohici99 clones are doing well, they have grown at least an inch over the past 3 days.

pH 5.74
Ec 1.3

7 Likes

Today I made Cheese clones

I figure I should have time to finish a few of the cabinets, and launch a grow in at least two of them before taking a summer break.

Now the clone chamber will stand it’s test, but I don’t see why there shouldn’t be enough light.
So far one or two boxes have been rooting fine, but we will see if this will work out under 14.5 Watt’s of light.

I just took pretty much every branch long enough, to make a clones from and didn’t take in count.
If it was high or low on the plant, soft or hard, thin or thicker stalks.
I took everything, and I will see how they do. A total of 105 clones, with 35 clones under each dome.

9 Likes

105, a nice round number. The new floor looks not only waterproof, I’m pretty sure it would be bulletproof too. Really nice work!

2 Likes

There is room for 35 clones in each box, and 3x 35 ends out at 105 :muscle:

5 Likes

Today I was in the Hikea workshop, cutting parts for the air intake light traps.

Got to glue them all together now, and install them in the cabinets.

7 Likes

Phew, finally caught up, your dedication is impressive bro :thumbsup:

4 Likes

Thank you very much, it’s actually only a few days ago. That it was 1 year, since I started growing again.

I had my HPS room done and got these sad looking cheese clones, where this was the best looking of the lot.
Never the less im greatfull I got them, and I got them growing so no problems there either.

Im happy with the results I have gotten so far, and im well on my way to my set goal with the Groffice build.
There is still alot of work to be done, and I have no real time frame.
Just a goal I work towards, as hard as I am able, and always trying to do my best.

If that can be an inspiration for others, to set a goal, make a plan and put some dedication into it - awesome!
This is a posibility, you just have to put the time, effort and money into it.
I started out on a very small budget, im on a sick pention and once my bills are payed. There is not much left, but saved what I could until I was able to get starte.

And here we are!

I keep getting told in chat, that im super humble, but for sure I am proud of my results and builds!
That said I really feel anyone ready to put the time needed, into something like this will be able to get the same results. Might even get better results, im old school and fairly set in my way of growing.
But what can I say, it works for me.

8 Likes

Is the light trap a bunch of alternating slots in a ‘plenum’? I see you have some nice strips of wood there

I was trying to do something similar for my box but realized it would have been too hard for me to build accurately (ie without leaks). I’d like to see your build so I can shamelessly copy it in the future!

3 Likes

No problem @beacher once I am done, I will put detailed pictures up on how I made it!

3 Likes

Tohici99 1st week in 12/12

Still a bit yellow, but im afraid of upping the N and risk it will Sativa all over the place.

Topped the reservoir, as the pH had started to drop and it had been a week.

The tap water took the pH, up to 6.19 and lowered the Ec back down to 1.2
I will keep an eye on it and keep the pH high for a few days, then lower it back down in the range of 5.5 - 5.6 pH.

5 Likes

All right @beacher here is the light traps im building, still haven’t painted them as I am not done gluing them all.

Back side or the light trap

Gluing the strips together, forming the back plate. (The stuff stackd on top is just to keep it flat)

Mounting the top, bottom, middle baffle and back.

Front and intake holes

Still got a bunch of gluing to do, but once that’s done.
It’s on to painting them black on the inside, mounting and testing them.

The math behind them is my active outtake is 125 mm Ø = 122 cm2
To match that, the passive intake need to be minimum twice the size.
The two intake holes in the trap, combined equals out to 256 cm2

10 Likes

That’s a really good design, how much extra drag do you think it will add to your ventilation system?

2 Likes

There will be a bit of drag around the baffles, but I expact it to be minimal due to the size of the passive intake.

As there is more then twice the space for the air to flow thru, then the active output/exhaust. It shouldn’t create a noticable drag, as the air can pass fairly unhindered around the baffles.

This is the theory at least, will report back if it’s wrong! But workes fine with the light traps I made in the veg closet, using the same simple math.

4 Likes

Jared up the dry buds, from the 2nd LED test.

100 gr BLB (2/3 of the space)
50 gr Tohici99

Evening out around 0.75 gpw again, for the cheap hacked china strips.

Looking forward to see how the better quality TCI strips will preform, from everything I have seen and read they should do fairly well.

Still go a bunch of work to do on the flower closets, but it’s deffently getting closer and closer to getting done.

10 Likes

Gluing is done, and moved on to painting the light traps.
First I gave them a light prime coating, before I start painting the inside black.

3 Likes

First layer of paint

Much much easyer to work with then the cheap waterbased stuff, this flows much better and there is no cloggin of the internal filter.

2nd layer will go on tomorrow, also need to remember to paint the inside of the cover as well.

2 Likes

And now more waiting time, while next layer is drying

6 Likes

Final layer is drying - Took pictures and they looked exactly like the one above.
Figure no point in posting another picture of wet black paint, so will wait and post pictures of the finished paint job once it’s dry.

2 Likes

Got something better then drying paint!

2 Likes