The LED hack shack and other tall tales

Day 7

Ec 1.3
pH 6.1

6 Likes

How old are the seeds? I have some ~15 year old cali-o and blueberry crosses germinating here…so far I’ve had 0 luck with seeds this old, I’ll have to pick up some fulvic/humic.

Hi @Palindrome, great thread. I have been watching for some time now and the builds you are doing are amazing. You definitely have some skills.

@beacher, strength by numbers :slight_smile: I had about 150 random old seeds that I collected a long time ago that i was going to throw out. Ranging from 15 to 20 years ago. For fun i decided to try and germinate them. Used the old wet paper towel method. I was surprised that 10 of them popped. Of the ten, 4 were obviously mutated (probably due to age) and i knew would not get passed a few days so i ditched them. Of the other 6, 3 had mutations but looked healthy enough. I potted them all and they all survived. All the mutated ones were showing the mutation at the growing tip and growing very slowly. So once they were strong enough i topped them and the side branches came out fine without mutation and they started growing at standard speed. At that point I threw them all out :smiley: because I was only doing it for fun and they were all unknown bag seed strains.

2 Likes

@beacher They are atleast 10 years old or older, and from the first attempts I got a few here and there to sprout.
Some sprouted with the help of Ga3, but as mentioned the group treated with fulvic and humid acids had more make it.
Could have been random luck, but it’s a more natural way then Ga3. And I already try to fuck as little around with hormones as possible.
Rooting hormones, growth hormones and the sort, all are suspected to be causing all sorts of cancer and little peepee syndrom in baby’s. After reading up on rooting hormones during my education 15 years ago, I stopped using them 100% and have not rooted a clone in anything but pH adjusted tap water since.

@BudSy Thanks mate, im trying to do my best! Nice of you to stop by :smiley:
Yeah never discard a mutant, it can easy just be temp damage due to old age. I have also seen odd looking sprouts, with deform tops, turn right after they have been topped. Don’t know if it’s mutation as is, or if it’s just a matter of the seed embrio was old, weak and didn’t develop right.

Time will tell, if these will sprout and grow.
Or just crack and die, like so many of the other old seeds I tried to sprout last year.

They have been soaking now for about 36 hours, and will be transplanted once I am done with this joint!

3 Likes

Doing the old seeds today, desided to just do them all in soil cups.

Filled and pre soaked the cups, to let the soil settle in them as they drained.

After they drained for 10 min, I topped the cups with loose crumbled soil. Softly pressed it, and pushed a small indention for planting each seed.

After some breakfast, it’s time to plant the seeds! :herb:

4 Likes

Mezmakronic - A few had cracked and there was 11 seeds in the pack!

Nephthys - 9 out of 10 seeds had cracked
I really fucking hope, at least a few of them will make it this time!!!

Grapefruit bowl I guess about 50% had cracked.

Chemdrella - 0 of 6 seeds have cracked, but planted them anyway.

All placed under humiditydomes, in the clone area of the veg cabinet.

The bottom cab should provide a bit of bottom heat, and the clone light won’t make a difference. But I turned it on anyway, so I can see when they start popping the surface.

10 Likes

Day 8

Ec 1.3
pH 5.57

Topped the res and took the pH down, and from the looks of it they are starting to grow more happy.
I have moved some of the clones on the bottom lvl around, as they where a little behind on growth.
And to avoid one or two row’s to the right, don’t yeald anything, it’s better to mix them up a little. It might not change the fact that it’s a runt, but it will give space for the bigger ones.

7 Likes

Took the dome off them for the night, they seem like they are well moist still.

Will look to them tomorrow, they might need to be placed on a felt mat to help draining.

5 Likes

Day 9 in the flower closet

They are doing well, folia fed them with Fish mix yesterday.
Today I gave them a short dush, with a dilution of the humic and fulvic acid mix I soaked the seeds in.

Sprayed a few moms yesterday, just to make sure it wouldnt burn the folia or something.
Im not sure if this is supposed to be applied by folia, but it would be a shame to waste it if the plants can use it.

Top Cab.

Midt Cab.

I am sure the roots, also think the plants should grow a little shade for them.
Maybe I next time, I should try with a felt mat above the corrugated plate.

Ec 1.3
pH 5.64

10 Likes

The Nephthys are doing well, or so far so good.
It’s day 3 on the seeds, and one have broken ground more or less.
Two others are getting there, so I am hopeful for the Nephthys this final round.

Non of the other seeds have broken ground yet, im sure they are on their way as well.

6 Likes

Cheese Fday 10

Ec 1.3
pH 5.6

10 Likes

Humming along nicely there. That clone chamber is so nice, I’m planning to build something similar in my new veg box.

Did you claw back the ventilation in there? I have a little Rubbermaid veg tub that works great with a ~100cfm fan pulling through it, but I find the airflow is too much for clones. Domes tend to dry out and it stays too cool…I think I’d want my ideal clone chamber to be practically still air to keep radiant heat up.

3 Likes

I have air flow thru the clone cab, but no air circulation in my cloners.

I manualy air them out, once a day or every two days.
They first 4-5 days, I don’t really remove the dome.
I might tilt it, and tap it to let condenced water, run down the side into the bottom tray.

The exhaust of the cabinet, pull’s air from the bottom veg cabinet, into the clone area and up into the top veg area.

3 Likes

This looks and smells a bit of succes with the last 10 Nephthys seeds, I can’t wait to see how they will do over night.
They have been busy growing today, some night time rest is well deserved.

The Fulvic and humic acid looks to have helped greatly, im starting to spot sprouts in the other cups but nothing else have broken ground.

6 Likes

Had to seam a bottom seam, in the bottom cabinet as I spotted moisture seeping into the wood.

While I had all the plants out, I figured I would install one of the Canopy fans. Now that I got all the supplies, even tho I don’t think they will be needed. They would suck to need and not have, if the summer is gonna be like last year.

10" Car radiator fan, 12V 80Watt and max airflow 800 m3/h

It have been a bit of a trial, to get them dimmed and have them run even. The first dimmers and powersupplies I tried, didn’t really work and the fan either didn’t wanna slow down. If it did it sould rotate uneven and made a humming noise, that didn’t sound “correct” :smiley:

Im now able to simulate everything from a mild n soft breeze, to Hurricane Katrina running the fan on ludicrous speed.

13 Likes

Day 4 since planting the seeds

6 Nephthys sprouts have cleared ground and dropped their helmets, same goes for 1 Mezmakronic.

9 out of 10 Nephthys seeds have sprouted, the 10th that didn’t crack during the soak prolly won’t make it.
But thats all right 9 out of 10, it might also just be a bit slower then it’s siblings.

Now it’s a question about keeping them alive, and grow them big enough for me to take some clones.
The 7 seedlings that have droppe the seed shells, have been moved to the top Veg cabinet.
Still placed inside a rubbermaid, not only for the humidity.
This way the soil cup’s won’t soak up, the nutrient solution im feeding the young Cheese plants next to them.

Ohhh yeah, ooing the happy dance!

10 Likes

9 out of 10 of the Nephthys have dropped the helmet, after breaking ground.

2 Mezmakronics are up and free, and a few more is on their way.

But 9 out of 10 for the Nephtys, thats way way way better then I hade dared to hope for.
Now I just hope nothing goes wrong, but if I just stick to keeping them moist and at good temps.
They should be good in the cups, for a little while.

7 Likes

Cheese Fday 12

Topped the res with tap water, dropped the pH a bit

Ec 1.3
pH 5.89

Another two days, and we are two weeks in. They are growing well, so thinking about raising the Ec a bit by then.

10 Likes

Tohici99 41 days

Today I have upped the nutrients, not sure why I keep getting the discoloration.
If im just way to agressive with the nutrients, or am I too passive not raising the Ec lvl fast enough.
I’ll see how they will like it, or if they will start bitching even more.

If so I guess I better flush the pots, change res and take the Ec lvl down again.
But they also need something to live of, and from the looks of the bud growth, that looked like they liked the last jump from 1.4 to 1.6.
But the folia don’t look nearly as happy, might be the experiment where I didn’t clean the hydroton much.
Tho I don’t really see the connection, the roots looked fine on the runts I chopped.
Nothing to indicate a bad root enviroment, so I think it’s unlikely.

Anyway here we are, tomorrow they are 6 weeks in.

Ec 1.8
pH 5.9

Another week and they should be halfway there, so still lot’s of time to fatten and ripen up.

7 Likes

Another 8 weeks to chop

Dropping the pH a little today

8 Likes