The LED hack shack and other tall tales

Some just dont need so much food, especially high % sativas, I have a blue heaven that eats half the amount I give to the rest of my plants and it still burns up in Organic soil, and that’s hard to do lol. The next one I do will get no teas just straight soil and some silica and coconut water, kelp and neem meal in lower doses, no extra N or P.

The way your top bud leaves are pointing up with the tips clawing down at the far end, suggests too much light or heat and low humidity to me, or possibly nitrogen toxicity but the leaves dont look dark enough for that.

You got a great set up, I am seriously impressed, and jealous of the clone cab you just built.

6 Likes

@Shadey I have thourt about the high % sat’s and low nutrients, that might be the issue. Next run of this, I’ll try and start lower with these.

I don’t think it’s heat related, the humidity is around 55% during lights on and in the range of 75% light’s off.
My lights are kept faily close, to reach the bottom buds better. I’ll try raising them, and see if how they react.

The last two times I have added nutrients, I have been cutting the extra N.
If I don’t see improvement, I’ll try with reducing the nutrients.

Thanks for your input, and positive comments on my LED flower cabinets.
So far I am happy with the development of the cheese, in the LED cabinets and how the cabinets are working out.

I’m slowly getting back to working, on the left side closet and building the 3 remaining LED lights.

8 Likes

Day 13 in the LED closet

I have moved the bottom light up, to the middle position like the middle cab.

Ec 1.3
Ph 5.64

11 Likes

Day 14

Ec 1.3
pH 5.66

Folia fed them with Fishmix today

8 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Can someone help with a light setup?

Thank you @toastyjakes

The freaking triplets all made it above ground :radioactive:

Funky … did I mention I got this from a grower in Chernobyl?
hehehe jk the seeds are frm Canada.

The rest of the seedling are doing fine, still waiting on the Grapefruit Fly and Chemderella seeds. Nothing have broken ground, I have turned up the heat a bit. To see if they have been getting cold feet, or the seeds might be duds. They are all fairly old, so not unexpected but there is still hope.

10 Likes

We do have alot of uranium here in Canada :radioactive:

5 Likes

:smile:

6 Likes

If only I could buy small digital displays like that :smile:

3 Likes

Me being me, doing odd stuff!

Don’t call PeTA on me, but started an animal experiment Again.
Last time I added guppies, to my reservoir in the HPS room.

Shrimps eats alge - alge is starting to grow on the flow tables in the cabinets. And there is always a little water standing in the bottom, from last feeding and it’s gettin green.

Yeah yeah they might die, they might not.
They might kill the whole crop, if they die and give the plants shrimp aids or something.
But im taking the chance, for the fun of it.

Biggest issue, might be them cloggin up the drippers dead or alive.

7 Likes

Cool idea. You can smoke the weed and enjoy some shrimp on the barby!

I know tilapia is generally the preferred type of fish for aquaponics, not sure exactly why though…

2 Likes

There are people who farm shrimp in aquaponic systems, these are just Red Cherry shrimp from my aquarium.
They might grow to twice the size, but they will never get big enough for the bbq.

Tilapia is popular for sure, it’s a farily hardy fish, they breed well, and should be very tasty.
Here you can’t do Tilapia, but would be able to do trout all year. Where many others can’t do trout, all year as they die in the summer when the water heats up. Tilapia will do much better in thouse areas, also it’s much easyer to keep them alive and breed compared to trout. Trout you will have to milk for roe and seamen, mix and hatch the eggs in hatcherys. Simulating a river current, and first when the fry/fingerlings are big enough to NOT fit in an adult trouts mouth. Are you able to introduce them to your system, so Tilapia makes a lot of sense in Aquaponics.

3 Likes

Nice, I should have guessed you were an expert on the subject. I bet you have some really awesome fish tanks too!

3 Likes

Pmsl :rofl: “they die and give them shrimp aids” got me tickled man and good idea I guess they might not like chemicals in the water but on the flip side of it maybe they might mutate and form an army :man_shrugging: Either way love it​:+1:

3 Likes

@beacher Yeah I have kept Tanganyika Chiclid tanks for many years, only got two running for the past years.
Mainly planted tanks, with guppys, shrimps, pelco’s, snails and plants. Might get back to chiclids again, but guppys are also fun to breed and much much cheaper. No heater in any of my tanks, when I was breeding tropheus I had 2x 300W in each of the big tanks. Mainly as back up, if one 300W would die. The other would still be able to keep the water temps in place, so running cost was not bigger then if I just ran a single heater. But with 2000-2500$ worth of fish in each tank, who cares about buying a few extra 50$ heaters.

One of the upcomming projects, will be building one long stand, for both tanks in the living room.
From wall to wall, both tanks should fit next to each other. It’s been a plan for some time now, just time and budget.
Still need to buy a shit load of holy rock, as I only have for one tank.

The smaller tank of the two - 530 Liter

The bigger tank, just took a shot now - 750 Liter
It’s in need of a water change and cleaning, and I need the lime from the Holy rocks.
It’s the main difference between the two, and I haven’t been able to get this one to run right.
I get a lot of alge growth, of two types of alge that I don’t see in the smaller tank.

I will paint the tanks as one is framed in raw alu, the other have a black anodized alu frame.
And I don’t think I can just paint the silver one, and get it to look the same as the big one.
Or I might end up framing it, making one large front cover from wall to wall. Hidding any gabs, out to the outer wall’s.

@Explorer There is a high risk they won’t survive the GHE hydroponic nutrients, or at least won’t breed in it. One of the shrimps was carrying eggs, they might be the first generation of the mutant army. :fried_shrimp:

7 Likes

Really cool. My old boss was really into cichlids and had tons of them, he also had some pufferfish which were really neat to watch. One was a ‘dog face puffer’, cute but kinda strange looking lol. Lots of plecos and others too.

Good luck with the setup! Also, I love that the first tank is your ‘small’ one…i hope your floor joists are sturdy :joy:

3 Likes

Chiclids & Puffer’s are very agressive fish, they need the right tank mates, or they will be bullied or eaten one by one.
But that is one of the things I acctualy like about Chiclids, its the agression and their territorial behavior. Some will even attack you while cleaning the tank, even tho they are tiny compared to your hand and arm.

The floor will support the tanks no problem, I got a armored concreat slap floor with heating and tiles.
It will not be a problem, there is no basement or anything below the house either.

Had it been a first floor, apartment or something. Yeah then it’s an issue, you have to take very serious.
My brother killed the floor in his appartment, it will cost a fortune when he moves out and he had to stop keeping tanks.
I once flooded my old house, well it was only the bedroom and I mannaged to save the wood floor. Rented two big dehumidifyers, and had them running in there for a week. But big tanks are cool, at least up to the moment where you get a leak and/or break the floor joists.

I was trying to find the pictures, but I knew a old guy once who’s floor cracked, in the middle of his fishroom.
With the result that every tank rack in the room, tilted forward and hit each other. Litterly everything broke, not single tank was even fixable.
As I recall he had 12 big tanks in there, and didn’t think about the floor in his old shed was old crap. He just insulated it and made it look realy nice, filled the tanks and few weeks later. Booom!
We where alot of ppl who pooled money, helped him get back on track. As his insurence clearly didn’t cover ‘being stupid’, so a bunch of us who could gave him a spare tank and helped pour a new concrete floor in his shed.

4 Likes

Back to topic!

The Nephthys and Mesmakronic seedling are doing fine, most of the seedling are starting to form the 2nd set of leafs.

Also the 10th Nephthys seed have cracked, and it’s breaking ground today.
I guess it just needed a bit more time and some heat, now I just hope some of the Grapefruit Fly and Chemderella’s would sprout too.

A closeup of the triplets, one is still looking odd and like it only have one cotyledon or it haven’t split and opened.

6 Likes

Day 16

Ec 1.3
pH 5.93

Topped the res of a little last night

10 Likes

Yes the cichlids and puffers are kinda jerks lol. It was always fun to watch them eat like they were little sharks or something.

I think people forget that a gallon of water is almost 10 pounds. 100 gallon tank is too much weight for many spots… people do the same thing with pianos too.

Plants look good, very little stretch on the cheesies there, light must be dialed in perfectly!

3 Likes