The Press Room: ♨

Pressed some more rosin last night, from left to right Butter Cookies, Skywalker Kush, Gas & Guns, and Jabba’s Stash.

12 Likes

Got the dabpress 6 ton a couple weeks ago and been experimenting with it. Here are a few of the results:

Different textures for every strain even with similar pressures and same temps.

Mephisto 3 bears OG is so far the best for pressing with a yield above 20%.

I’m ok with skipping the guage, though it would be nice. The press takes up a lot of space already without a pump…

Took me about 4 presses to find the max pressure I could use without breaking the bags… Been using a pre press that makes little pucks, and then doing “bottle tech”. I use a clamp to squeeze the bejesus out of the pre press before pressing.

So far I’ve had the best luck if I go really slow, increasing the pressure every 30 seconds and total press time about 5 minutes.

Collection is a pain, but I’m sorta figuring that out… Have a few different wax sculpting tools, and some work better than others depending on the consistency.

7 Likes

Looks nice and tasty. The consistency seems to change from plant to plant. And 20% return is incredible. How much are you pressing at a time?

1 Like

The 3 BOG I pressed 5 grams and got a little more than 1.1 back… It really surprised me. It’s the really full looking jar in the picture above.

My other plants have not yielded well comparatively… 10% being next best.

The 3BOG is advertised as being a great plant for extraction. It’s super oily and full of terps, which I think helps quite a bit. Probably one of the greasiest strains I’ve grown.

2 Likes

Ok that’s it, been watching this thread as my stock from the dispensary dwindles and my fridge fills with dank sticky resinous GG4 bottoms that are just screaming to be squished.

Going DIY with 20 ton HF bench press and 3x5 double pin heater plates… what should I get as far as bags and pre press molds. Would this work for 1/4 zip presses? Trying to get in under 5 bills. Anyone pressed any fresh GG4? Returns?
Thanks in advance guys great looking extract…:+1:t2:

2 Likes

Definitely great returns, well done. On a 5 minute press what temps are using?

1 Like

Using 180F for temp, and taking pressure up incrementally.

First 30 seconds the plates are just barely pressing the puck.

By 3 minutes I’m at full pressure and then done by 4 minutes 30 seconds. So about 90 seconds at max pressure.

Still messing with the times but that’s about how I did the last few presses.

5 Likes

Hey bud, I think you’d either want bigger plates or less pressure.

Even with 6 tons on 3x5 plates you can hit 1500psi on a 2x4 space.

I’ve been using a hand pre press and 160 micron bags w/ “bottle tech” so I cut the bags in half.

This is the pre press and bags I used:

2 Likes

Ordered press and plates last night, went 10 ton 4x7 dual heat rods , controller and temp gauges. Hand pump for now with Air optional.

3 Likes

All in for under 450. Buddy works at Livernois machine was able to get me a Dake benchtop at cost. And no delays hopefully.

2 Likes

Hey Ogs,

New to posting to the site but definitely not to extraction. I personally run a 4x7 PID Controlled setup on a benchtop 10t press and have had the pleasure of running her for some time now. I’ve been consistently focused on achieving a full spectrum reflection and full medical benefit of the flower used to press not yields. I am someone who believes in the scientific method and the yields are averaging in the high twenties primarily and down to eighteen percent for specific extractions intentionally which I will likely go into at another date. Before this I had commercially extracted with bubble and dry sift many moons ago and was fortunate enough to make some incredible hashes and other extracts from the hashes and kief but rosin is much higher purity when done correctly.

Several ozs of RAW Lime Dosi Dos Rosin from earlier this month

The theory behind rosin is simple: heat and pressure = goooo but finding the right combination of input, heat, pressure, duration, mesh, handling aging to making incredible rosin… is not as easy as you’d think as many of us know.

Luckily here in Canada, it has been legal to make rosin and purchase all the components and consumables for many years for medical use and now for recreational use so we were able to test and explore without fear so I am happy to help anyone out there still having to do so in the shadows as I did for so many years before our GOV changed their stance on cannabis.

So I thought I would put together some top tips for anyone out there wanting to make excellent Rosin since were all stuck at home and need smoke to ease all this madness!

1. Know your data! Knowledge is power in this case, measure everything possible so when something works you know why. Just like growing. Critical data to know; Pressure, Temperature, Duration, Microns & Relative Humidity of input material.

Pressure must be calculated - reading a gauge reading head pressure of a hydraulic ram does not tell you the amount of force on what you are pressing! Calculating the area of your puck or bag should be pretty straight forward L x W but if you are nude pressing (bagless) this is a bit trickier. In all the testing, reading researching and investigating commercial extractors it became clear that everyone came to the same conclusion: ~100 psi or pounds-force per square inch is the magic pressure for efficient extraction. This is where a gauge and that basic math we just learned comes in. If you have a nug that is the size of a small coin the amount of force required to extract rosin is actually quite low whereas you have a 2x 3" diameter pucks you will need up the force substantially. This Math will increase your yields if you already haven’t been doing so.

Temperature is a big debate however the rosin process by definition has a set temperature range 80-110 C, exceed it and or the magic pressure not only can you lose out on sensitive volatile organic compounds - like everything you want from the plant but you also start to get other stuff too… vegetable fats, plant fiber, cellulose can all be broken down and liquefied and then carried away with you rosin as it exits the flower during extraction. That’s why the yield is not everything and knowing the data is! I once extracted a fairly common strain as a test to see how productive of a strain it actually was. I threw it in the press under the at the time recipe and extracted around a 24% yield. After looking up the genetic breakdown of the plant and it properties that this genetic in award-winning form tops out at 15-16% THC and .1-.2% CBD, so wtf the did I extract potentially 10% of. After several hours of research, it was clear, I had liquified a bunch of naturally occurring waxes that were drawn out by the rosin! It turned the inside of my glassware white with its uniquely contaminated resin and tasted horrible. Not all was wasted, it ended up in my downstream system and I sure as hell learned then and there!

1. Quality in Quality Out - Making rosin from mediocre pot often means mediocre results, if you are looking for potent, bold and terp rich daps you need to put the high test in there!

High-quality bud trim, hell send your bubble hash through a fine mesh bag and you end up with something like this Hash Rosin here below one of my favorites. Fresher the better not only for the relative humidity to be high which is good :+1: but how many days/weeks you leave the plant curing negatively impacts color and terp profiles of the rosin versus the cured flower 14 days or less since going below 80% RH IMHO.

1. Pre Press & Bags - PP allows for a more consistent squish and better flow, bags contain all the vegetative matter and everything but that sweet rosin when used appropriately both worth every penny.

2. Preheat your material under light load while the material warms for say 10-15% of the time and final load required to achieve 100PSI

Enjoy the smoke and don’t be shy I love questions!

5 Likes

I’ll be contacting you as soon as I get set-up , thanks for the info…I think a dedicated thread would be great, link me in if you do start one…:+1:t3:

2 Likes

I usually save my rosin pucks because the bags have quite a bit left in them. I usually take the squished buds out of the bag, then wash the bags with alcohol. Today I decided to play around. I took the squished buds out and then stuffed the bags inside a other bag. I wasn’t having much luck until I uses a directional fold. Then it started flowing. I ended up with about 2.5 grams of dabable product out of it. I usually get 3-4 grams from the alcohol wash.

6 Likes

Hey ReikoX

You certainly have the right idea to repurpose your bags there are so many things to do with them!!! I can speak from experience that no matter how accomplished an extractor you are there is always 1-5% of what you were looking to extract still trapped in the membrane of the bag as well as deep within the pressed materials.

Rosin buildup in 14g flower bags. This makes ideal bubble hash and hash rosins

A run of 14g rectangular and 5.5g circular bags cooling so that they can be stored. Notice the bag of separated bags in the top left corner, I start pulling them out as soon as they are cool often while I am still pressing.

We keep our pressed material above 70% RH through specific storage methods

We are completely solvent-free here so instead of making green dragon, rso or the likes we make bubble hash for hash rosin or consumption and/or coconut oil extractions.

Our Baby 1 Gallon Bubble Setup

We take the squished materials out of the bag, separate it and give it a quick coarse grind. Then we process the reground material and the rosin caked bags separately through our 1 Gal bubble hash setup. We blend all the guards and stems removed as a part of making rosin back with the pressed materials as well to reinvigorate the resulting rosin with fresh terps.

From this point, the twice extracted materials are bagged, frozen and stockpiled until we have enough to do a run of coco extract in the slow cooker overnight. The coco extract we use topically, to cook with and eat. I will better document our next run of coco for anyone who is interested soon.

The resulting bubble hash is run through the rosin press at lower than the typical rosin temp range in tight mesh (75 microns) bags to produce hash rosin.

Our Hash Rosin from reclaimed rosin pucks

Waste not, want not!!! PLEASE SAVE YOUR ROSIN BAGS!!!

I will likely start a thread on reclaiming from various processes, I would love to hear how you and others are keeping things efficient and low waste!

Happy Squishing!!!

11 Likes

Looking out on my porch for the UPS Delivery…have maybe a half gram of sugar left.

1 Like

@TerpSneeze, thanks for the good info. You have answered a couple of questions I have had but not had time to research. I am lucky as I have a mate that has a vape device called the “Plenty”. It’s got some grunt and a big chamber so I give my pucks to him. He grinds them up and vapes out the last little bit of dear life the little suckers had left in them. I dont use screens so it is nice to know every last little bit is being used. However, if he gives up on that one day I have some more ideas. Thanking you kindly.

3 Likes

That’s a lot of effort to get the last out of the pucks. Did I read that right, you grind the spent pucks and run them through bubble bags? With water and ice? I’m suprised you get anything from that. I just feed those to my worms, which in turn, I eventually feed back to my plants.

2 Likes

Hey Budsy!

No problem at all friend, the hope is just that someone eventually finds it and has a use for it, whats the point of learning if you don’t remember to pass it on? And kudos to you for not using bags, that is one thing I still rely on for rosin and unfortunately is the only waste in the system as I rarely clean the bags for reuse. Although a lot of companies say that you can do so, I simply clean them with bubble extraction and throw them in with my recycling but TBH I have no idea what happens with them after that, they very well be ending up in the dump :expressionless:

You could use them as fuel for a pellet burning furnace but you would have to dab a sh”t load of extract …:wink:

Yes Reiko you read right! I like your approach, close the loop!

I think its important to note that when we run rosin we do big runs of high quality flower and we are not looking to extract the load in any one part of the our process. Squishing for yields tends to make us ALL push the materials too hard and you often end up taking much more than rosin out of your plants (we lab tested our product several times and adjusted our outlook accordingly while we were setting up the process) so we take a gentler approach. We intentionally leave a small percentage in the material as to not wring it out.

I will take some pics of the chip bags close up and you will see that because we use material with really high THC we can extract a 25% yield and still have visible frost in the bag. This is to ensure we didn’t over do it. At that point should you have bubble extraction setup and a hand mixer from your kitchen makes this effortless. With de-bagging during pressing, a few minutes of grinding and 20 mins for bubble hash I don’t find it a lot of work and consider it a reward.

As I mentioned before going through this process I had no idea what the buffer was, how efficient my press could be as well as how much it really locked into the pucks. When you are pressing in bigger runs and you know there is 3-5% this can mean a lot of meat on the bone still. I find that we will take an ounce and a half out of bubble hash for every lb we process solely out of materials in the chip bags. The bags themselves as you clearly demonstrated are lil gold mines themselves.

Really appreciate you taking the time and I see your name and you gens all over the forum so keep up the good work!!

3 Likes