The Rat’s Boggle Biological LaboRATory

Late in the grow, I decided to experiment with a unknown fertilizer, and it appears I salted them to death.

3gal fabric pots. Random soil and perlite. Mostly fed fish fert.

Towards the end, I dusted one of the plants with pollen from a super top secret chocolate strain that turned out really well for me. I really enjoyed that particular growing habit and the end product quality was impressive. In the end, it only made a handful of seeds. Out of those, only one single plant survived to carry both chocolate and mutant genes. More on that later.

The pile of seeds below is ABC x ABC, for preservation.

15 Likes

Very cool, you can count me in for a seat in the lab :metal:

3 Likes

Safety goggles ready :sunglasses:

Healthy plants, Great shots & Looking forward to the future updates.

1 Like

Hehe, healthy except for those couple of pics of the random salt nutes keeling them over and making ‘em crispy :rofl:

I think I’ve got it dialed in now, a dozen grows later… Still experimenting with as much as possible though, it’s a laboratory after all :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

Interesting projects, I am following along.

2 Likes

Very cool, that ABC has always intrigued me, I was following Caleb’s work etc for a while. This , Freakshow and greenspoon are the 3 true mutant looking plants I can think of, well subterfuge……?idk very cool regardless, down to see what comes next for sure @RatsboggleBiological

3 Likes

Now you got my attention with a few pictures :rofl::rofl::rofl: and I will tag along now to the end for the weight in and smoke report. :facepunch::+1::sunglasses::peace_symbol:

1 Like

The Rat’s in the house… I’ll sit right here and enjoy the show

1 Like

Got more coming here eventually, just trying to get organized and think about the next culls and propagation strategies.

Plan #1 is to recover the nearly lost super secret chocolate genetics I mentioned earlier. No more seeds of this fire, and it seems like it would be difficult to get from the original breeder, but I feel like it has to be preserved. So, the theoretical plan is to up pot, grow out a little for branches, snag a handful of clones, and try to reverse one and hit some with Doug’s pollen. Maybe hit it with some other pollen too, depends how well the cloning goes. This seems doable, from seed it was a wacky mess and looked like a reveg! I’m wondering if the ABC genetics in it caused it to emerge strangely. The first dozen leaves were not typical and were highly irregular. It reverted to normal leaf shape, and appears to be a candidate for cloning.

Plan #2 is the duckfoot genetic. Not sure what will happen with this one. Supposed to be auto but no signs of sex. Makes me a little nervous but the volume of soil is VERY high especially for an auto, so maybe it is too happy to flower out yet? I’m wondering if I should turn down the photoperiod to regular flowering hours… holding off on that, it’s hard to tell what will go down. Im wondering if some rootzone stress would help, like maybe it needs a hard dryback to induce sex signs. Simultaneously happy and frustrated, time will tell as it always does.

Plan #3 is more watching and waiting. Bastard hybrid genetics. One should go towards preserving the existing hybrid line, the other should go towards furthering the hybrid, with a focus on flower development.

I’d really like to see a THCV line happen. I had high hopes for the “Free The V” strain but it seems like that thread died out with no word. :confused: So, if you have any THCV strains, please hit me up! I’d love to chat about it, photo or auto or anything, I desperately need to get on some THCV production for medical purposes.

1 Like

Plan #1 has taken a serious, head-boggling left turn! :exploding_head: :dizzy_face: :flushed: :alien: :partying_face:

It started weird, and then I thought it was normalizing… but its getting WEIRDER! :eyes:

I think this plant turned out to be fasciated! That weird stem gets suddenly bulbous… and then it shoots off into what appears to be obviously fasciated. This is the other mutant form I never expected to see! @middleman have you seen this on any of your ABC crosses?!

If anyone has some experience with mutants and fasciation, please chime in. I think I saw on the COPA instagram, he had a fasciating plant recently, and he noted that although they are difficult to clone, he was going to try to attempt it anyways. (link to COPAs plant: COPA (@copagenetics) on Instagram: "I'm changing plans, and I'm gonna flip this girl indoors to fully document her life cycle. I've been told these are tough to clone... I'm gonna try. #Celery #mutant #madeinmaine #growninmaine #dankachusetts #grassachusetts #chrontario #fuckcancer #fuckyouchad") I’m not sure what to do, I’m not sure if the cloning will work out, maybe it would be best to let it go and do an STS reversal.

Am I seeing this right?

It’s definitely flat… and weird… Remember, this is a seed grown plant, this is NOT a clone, and it is NOT revegging. Constant 18/6 photoperiod. TIME WILL TELL

1 Like

Nope. Haven’t seen that.

I’m like 99% sure that is not normal growth. I wonder what’s going to happen :exploding_head: Guess I’ll give it some more soil, seeing small feelers out the bottom.

EDIT: Quick reading suggest fasciation can be genetic, environmental, or pathological (bacterial or viral.) I was thinking about culling it entirely, but this particular plant seems to still be growing vigorously, and it does contain genetics of bud I thought was high quality, so I’m going to up pot it and keep a close eye in isolation. I think it would make a lot of sense to hit it with STS. That way, I can get some fem S1 and possibly hit another plant with it, which may reduce the chance of bacterial or viral transfer if that is indeed the problem. On the other hand, it could turn out male - in which case, it would similarly make sense to grow it out through flower and try to transfer that pollen to something else. Maybe some BOG gear… maybe some old COPA gear I had laying around.

Maybe it’s worth it to try swabbing the plant to agar and see if any Rhodococcus pops up that could help differentiate causes. While I have previously grown tobacco, I haven’t done so in a long time and it doesn’t seem likely to be a transfer vector. Considering this plant came from a bastard/mutant cannabis plant crossed with regular pollen, it does seem more likely it originates from genetic troubles.

My environmental conditions or specific environmental exposures could be a reason, but that is a much longer checklist to evaluate. I am not sure what would cause that and it requires more study.

More information about Rhodococcus from Wikipedia:

Role of phytohormones during infection

All the effects of R. fascians infection can be attributed to hormone hyperdosage. In particular, most of the effects are connected to auxin and cytokinin, such as: formation of green islands on leaves, wrinkling of laminae, bud proliferation, delay of senescence, and inhibition of lateral roots. In fact, R. fascians can produce itself cytokinin, or cytokinin-like compounds: using orf4 and orf5 in the fas operon, it can stimulate infected plants to produce cytokinin, and it can produce indole-3-acetic acid itself, using a pathway starting from tryptophan and passing through production of 3-indol-piruvic acid and 3-indol-acetaldeid.[6] R.fascians can also degrade cytokinin to influence the cytokinin/auxin ratio.[citation needed]

Beside cytokinin and auxin, R. fascians acts on other hormones: in particular, it can block abscisic acid and gibberellic acid synthesis in infected plants. Abscisic acid represses growth, so a block of production is needed to allow proliferation of cells in leafy galls. Gibberellic acid controls cellular differentiation, so its block is needed for maintenance of meristematic cells and for their proliferation.[5]

Plant diseases

R. fascians causes diseases in several host plants including tobacco, small fruits (caneberries, strawberries) and ornamental plants (butterfly flowers, Primula, kalanchoes, Impatiens, geraniums, carnations)[citation needed]