The REAL "Skunk" I WAS THERE

I just wanted to say, very interesting story @SHSC-1
Interesting concept, something to contemplate for sure.
You make some good points too.
All of it well said!

Peace
shag

2 Likes

I grew up with the same smells just a few hours north. I cant say I remember ever smoking pot that smelled like road kill. Skunky yeah, dank yeah but full on road kill? Naw. But I don’t necessarily think it’s a myth. To me road kill is that heavy Skunk with an eye watering burned rubber chemical type smell that is thick in the air. We’ve grown weed thats skunky, and we’ve grown weed that has that heavy burned rubber, I can’t imagine there has never been a plant that had both at the same time. I’ve got a plant right now with the right burned rubber smell but no Skunk whatsoever.

As far as markers and patents and all this…do you guys think that there might already be genetics on the market from said players that already have some sort of documented marker waiting for legalization? What is considered a marker? Can it be something we visually see in the plant or its hidden in the DNA?

3 Likes

I personally do think that this exists. They have done it for corn so they have the ability.
It’s in the dna. Gmo food was sold as impossible to cross breed with existing plants. Turned out it isn’t true.
There is a movie called either the future of food or food inc. it gives you a good idea of they have done.
Bayer inc bought Monsanto. They are already invested in grow equipment and fertilizer part of our industry

3 Likes

hot takes:

1. patents in the future for science dna shit yes, patents for legacy black market brands no way

2. skunk lines very very very “terroir sensitive” when it comes to taste

5 Likes

Skunk bud, it exists. There is definitely some trick to it though. Nutrient profile needs to be on point. I’d go as far as saying that there are moments in time to boost specific elements etc to encourage some weirdo reaction.

Unpopular opinion, the boron guy might hold a piece of the puzzle :astonished:

6 Likes

i disagree with the idea that skunk has to be grown a special way for it to be what folks are saying it shoud be.
I say that because most indoor growers thrroughout the BC lowermainland back in the 80’s were not mixing up fancy nutrient mixes… in fact I would be willing to bet that most were using Peters 20-20-20 through the whole grow or switching to Peters 10-52-10 in flower. Other nutrient brands were not availlable then and growers bought what they could find. In 1989 when my mentor first introduced me to the cannabis plant and the growing of it… Peters products were the staple and I found this in most of the grows back then.
So I very highly doubt these claims that the inputs and soil have to be just right. Those skunk grows were stinking up hole neighborhoods with no help from special growing techiniques or nutrient mixes. Surrey and North Delta BC put themselves on the map when it came to weed busts back then. Carbon filters were still in the future and so were all the plant foods and special stuff we all have access to today.
There are some highly skilled growers out there on the Road Kill Skunk hunt and I truly believe they are chasing a myth.

Funny thing… I opened my doobie container in the ice fishing hut the other day and my buddy remarked about the “skunk weed” I was smoking LOL No skunk , just some really good 88g13hp but when you pull the doobie out it reeks of skunk in the air. Not in the flavor or the smell of the burning joint but its all skunk before it;s lit.
Wierd eh?

9 Likes

I cannot speak for all skunks… my new avatar is me making fun of “skunk”

So when I found my cut in a batch of 1993 skunk seeds, I just winged it, no meters, synthetics etc… then ran it again, winged it, skunk was there but nowhere near the first run…

Then planted a few outdoors, it reeked of skunk.

This is why I think something is bringing it out, rh, nutrients, lights… something.

And yeah, people calling anything and everything skunk is one of my biggest pet peeves lol

I’m from quebec btw, we have a long history of skunks being grown outdoors here, if it means anything haha

Edit: 202020 will be the next mix. I have been teasing old heads about african violet nutrients lately, so why not.

“African violet soil should have plenty of nutrients at first, so you can wait a few months to begin fertilizing. Once you are ready to begin fertilizing, use a gentle fertilizer. Select a balanced fertilizer, one where the nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium levels (known as the N-P-K ratio) are the same. Formulas that have the same three numbers on the package

5 Likes

His last couple projects were selfing lines to make single-cannabinoid plants and no-cannabinoid plants and then another project for the killer gene, so his lines cant be cloned or pollinated.

5 Likes

There a patent on file for a dutch hybrid of an Equadorian strain. (I forgot the name of the old line)

2 Likes

Commercial weed is about 1 - 1.50 per gram. Much higher once you get to the consumer at a pot shop.
I worked for a corporation that was manufacturing cost at 0.33 per gram.
That was 2014-2015

Most stuff is about $5/gram, but some stuff is 8-10/gram. 15+/gram for the real fancy stores
But still, the goal is $1/gram, as Jack Herer predicted long ago. I can get $10/gram oil and that converts to about $1/gram flower

3 Likes

I didn’t imagine reading about the termination gene!
Dark heart nursery is talking about sterile genetics for commercial grows. Do you think it’s related?

3 Likes

yeah one of the big commercial goals is triploid, sterile plants. Just like the seedless watermelons and whatnot. Could have a whole field outdoors and they will never get pollinated, always sensi… and then you need to buy seeds every year…

8 Likes

The Monsanto model :joy:. It drives them nuts that everyone can grow and produce seed! Bonus we don’t need them at all. No profit
Temporarily out of likes :disappointed:

7 Likes

I agree. Skunk did not need anything special to make it stand out. Thats a waisted path of exploration for this goal imo. Nothing wrong with experimenting but I’m 100% confident that nothing special had to be done to bring out those aromas except growing it half way decent.

9 Likes

I kinda missed all that drama, is the thread still around or has everything been deleted and buried?

1 Like

That’s like saying diet has nothing to do with poor health because you were healthy as a kid.

It’s all still accessible… he went by many names though. I don’t think OG deletes much, unless it’s threats and such…

What he says does hold ground… reading around white papers etc its all valid science. Honestly I think he wants to help growers but is bad at it lol

Bah, not necessarily bad but he doesn’t sugar coat so people give him a hard time…

I sometimes wish he’d slow down, stick with an account and have a chat, but I also get it… he must have 300 messages from people telling him to kill himself for 1 legit question…

Meh

Ps, if you think about it, a lot of formally trained people quickly give up on the cannabis community… I don’t even wonder why :sweat_smile:

Legends, visionary and dudes who do things differently get trolled off every site.

5 Likes

Yup, thats the idea for the big guys.

To be a nursery and sell sterile clones and S2 seeds that cant be cloned or pollinated, that way each farm needs to buy more seeds/clomes each year.

Patents will be applied to the sterile genetics, and then utility patents for how theyre used, then trademarks for the product.

3 Likes

Today’s “it will never happen crowd” is tomorrow’s “it’s a necessary step crowd” and next week “I like my new job at the re-education camp crowd”

Rip weed

13 Likes

aparently breeder steve was posting somewhere recently about creating a strain that is sterile and the females only grow calyxes and no pistils… all bud, no hairs I guess.

If memory serves me right Chimera aka Ryan Lee of Canada is currently or has been working with the genetics of cannabis to add genetic markers for trackable, traceable cannabis in Canada.
Many top breeders including Karma Genetics are currently working with Klonetics of Canada… who are a bunch of fat cat gas and oil profiteers who have now turned thier eyes to Cannabis.
Thier plan is trackable, traceable clones and ready to flower plants for the Canadian market.
Once these groundwork is laid in Canada, trackable traceable cannabis will be all that is legal to grow in Canada for anyone. I absolutely see this coming in the next 5 years.

back to the skunk topic…
lets face it, most growers were growing for profit not just for thier heads. We aren;t talking true canna heads like most of us are these days, we are talking cash croppers and most with biker ties. So many grow ops were getting busted in the mid 80’s and it was all the bc skunk growers getting popped due to the stench that fill neighborhoods.
All these growers were not fine tuning nutrient regimes to coax out that skunk weed odor, they were fly by night cash croppers using mercury vapor lamps or whatever they could find that would grow plants indoors. HID tech was just developing for growers here and actual grow stores with indoor lights were unheard of back then. By the late 80’s the knowledged growers were starting to get a handle on HID lighting and grow stores began to slowly show up. The two I remember were John’s Plantland and California Hydroponics , both saw huge police and community pressures though they stayed the course.
Truthfully, Skunk was not on the radar when I started my growing journey in 89. I was mentored by patch members of the Outlaw biker club (sandy richards RIP) , and they were growing Afghani #1, Purple Indica, Hawaiin Indica and Sandy was the first person to receive the UBC Chemo clone outside the university. I was there that day.
Skunk was phased out as it was getting too many people busted and BC Bud was in huge demand in the USA. When I went out on my own in 95 , I grew the purple afghani and the chemo (sandy spelled it Kimo) and then due to working trim crews back then in HA affilliated grows, I received the biker hashplant, blueberry and NL5 which I grew till 05 when I had to shut down.
Skunk was so far off the scene by then that I would imagine “very few” held the cut anymore save for serious old heads. Skunk went underground as it was replaced with potent, tasty varieties that didn’t reek for 2 blocks vegging and whole neighborhoods at harvest time LOL

Those cash cropping skunk growers back then were not practicing some kind of special nutrient mixes, they were growing in sunshine 4 and feeding with Peters , Plant Prod or perhaps it was the Alaska fish emulsion and alaska morebloom. Not many other nutrient mixes were availlable off the shelf in the 80’s when skunk went underground.
just my thoughts

13 Likes