The REAL "Skunk" I WAS THERE

I lived the 70’s when Skunk was first introduced to the great growers of the mid west. I know Cali has it’s own story but my story is real because I it lived first hand…he is my story . when I started growin back in 1973, two buddies of mine flew to from St. Louis Mo. to Kabul Afghanistan in the winter of1973. Funny thing is, all U.S.travel was prohibited to this area the next year 1974 and is still prohibited to this day. When they arrived in Kabul they asked some of the locals where they could buy some marijuana seeds. They were taken to the foothills of the Northern Kush Mountain range, outside of Kabul, where the soil was very fertile, and you could see weed, as far as the eye could see. To make a long story short, they bought about 2 oz, of biggest, striated seeds, you have ever seen, the farmers called it Kush. Fast forward to the spring of 1974 back in the Illinois farm lands, we made a deal with our buddies, to grow out the Kush seeds, and we would split the profits 50/50. What a year that was !!! We grew about 25 lbs of the Kush, and everyone was VERY happy ! That fall and winter we smoked A LOT of the Kush…he,he,he WE also, because of the skunky smell started to call it Skunk. It had the most pungent, lingering smell, that was IMPOSSIBLE to hide. You could smell a small group of plants from over 200 yards away !! Here comes the bad part of this story. Four of our buddies that were now aware of the “Skunk” decided they would buy some cheap land down in Arkansa and “go for it,” They all four got busted because (can you guess) the smell was so strong that conservation agents that patrolled the area, put two and two together. It was really sad because these guys were not only friends, but good honest, stand-up dudes. After that fiasco, we had the strain for many years, till around 1995, and now it’s gone. We took it for granted and got burned . I’ve read on the net, several years ago that breeders tried to breed out the smell because it was so strong .This is one of the stupidest things I ever heard of !!! I also heard recently of a strain called called “Arkansa Skunk,” that might be the offspring of our Skunk that was grown in Arkansa. We’ll see. Happy breedin my friends. Again this is a “first hand” report ! I was there !

103 Likes

Very cool! :sunglasses: :+1:

You folks were actually doing stuff I was only dreaming about at that time.
Yes, you have to chase down that Arkansa Skunk. Just for peace on mind if nothing else.

Cheers
G

11 Likes

Been saying that for years now. People love to parrot the line that “skunk got bred out” so it’s lost forever haha. Plenty of Afghani plants and their hybrids have a strong skunky odor from a few feet away.

16 Likes

Not mine you can smell it thru a finished basement and a qtr mile to the road
There’s a few stripped kitty’s still around and no dont ask

31 Likes

Lmao…pleeeeese​:grin::grin::sweat_smile::rofl:

5 Likes

The stank is the best part. I remember getting a bag of skunk in probably about 94 - 95, and there was no hiding that smell. I was living in an apartment then too.

5 Likes

That’s a great account. We need more of these stories written down, before they are lost or forgotten. Thanks for sharing!

9 Likes

JCF I’m laughin with ya bruh !! OleReynard has a point, “don’t ask!”

3 Likes

What up V. it’s not the same skunky smell ! With all do respect, if you weren’t there in the 70’s you don’t have anything to compare with todays so called skunk strains. I’ve had several growers make statements to me that are similar to yours and OleReynards . If there are specific breeders to check with I’m all ears . Thanks

3 Likes

Yeah I’m laughing alright

2 Likes

I doubt it was that much different/special than what you can get today. Classic “we had it but it’s somehow lost” oldtimer story. It’s all just skunky afghans. Nostalgia and time have a funny way.

I’m sure it smelled especially crazy compared to the import brick you and everyone else was smoking at the time.

23 Likes

I’ve thought for a long time that Skunk had nothing to do with the strain “Skunk.” I think that’s just one of those naming coincidences that people can’t seem to get past. I’ve heard the story about how the stink was bred out…nah, I don’t think it was in that line in the first place. It being a pure Afghan makes a lot more sense to me. They have varieties in the middle east that are rotten smelling. People could still probably find it…they just keep trying to find it in the wrong line. They’ve been on the same deadend search for decades just because of it sharing the same name.

12 Likes

Living in Oklahoma , I remember the skunk we used to get in circa 94/95 . I’d love to get my hands on some of it now days lol

8 Likes

In upstate NY in the late 80s, we used to get Indie (which I think meant Indica, but could have meant Indoor) and it was all Skunk. You had to triple bag it and it still stunk. I miss it, but I wonder if I could grow it in my apartment now even with a carbon filter.

7 Likes

Lol, I got a this shit right here, you smoke it and go deaf! Can’t hear shit! Lol

11 Likes

Closest I’ve found so far Is the Exodus Cheese UK which is European Skunk1 x cheese that has not had Any smell bred out. Still not the Roadkill Skunk we had in the late 70’s through the 80’s. It’s smell literally lingered for days if you smoked inside. And yes it did smell just like a dead skunk. You can tell an old head smoker, as they will inhale with a knowing smile as you pass that 3 day old Road Kill Skunk. Called exodus In Europe because they don’t know a skunk from a kitty cat.

17 Likes

I miss catpiss! That stuff was staaaaanky!

10 Likes

Indie does mean Indica ,

3 Likes

I have some Cleveland Cat Piss to pop and try…skunk search this season.

ASS
Stink Bud
Ancestral Skunk
UFS18
NHS - Mr. Nice
Lemon Skunk
Green Goblin
And several stinky Afghans
Skunk 96’

Talked to a member about a heirloom Humbolt cut of SK1 that came down from the hills after years…no answer on PM now😩

NHS is supposed to have a prevalent Skunk1 Pheno That expresses often, have about 30 to go through.

13 Likes

Ak beans sells all the old school strains

http://www.akbeanbrains.com/

7 Likes