The REAL "Skunk" I WAS THERE

I kinda missed all that drama, is the thread still around or has everything been deleted and buried?

1 Like

That’s like saying diet has nothing to do with poor health because you were healthy as a kid.

It’s all still accessible… he went by many names though. I don’t think OG deletes much, unless it’s threats and such…

What he says does hold ground… reading around white papers etc its all valid science. Honestly I think he wants to help growers but is bad at it lol

Bah, not necessarily bad but he doesn’t sugar coat so people give him a hard time…

I sometimes wish he’d slow down, stick with an account and have a chat, but I also get it… he must have 300 messages from people telling him to kill himself for 1 legit question…

Meh

Ps, if you think about it, a lot of formally trained people quickly give up on the cannabis community… I don’t even wonder why :sweat_smile:

Legends, visionary and dudes who do things differently get trolled off every site.

5 Likes

Yup, thats the idea for the big guys.

To be a nursery and sell sterile clones and S2 seeds that cant be cloned or pollinated, that way each farm needs to buy more seeds/clomes each year.

Patents will be applied to the sterile genetics, and then utility patents for how theyre used, then trademarks for the product.

3 Likes

Today’s “it will never happen crowd” is tomorrow’s “it’s a necessary step crowd” and next week “I like my new job at the re-education camp crowd”

Rip weed

13 Likes

aparently breeder steve was posting somewhere recently about creating a strain that is sterile and the females only grow calyxes and no pistils… all bud, no hairs I guess.

If memory serves me right Chimera aka Ryan Lee of Canada is currently or has been working with the genetics of cannabis to add genetic markers for trackable, traceable cannabis in Canada.
Many top breeders including Karma Genetics are currently working with Klonetics of Canada… who are a bunch of fat cat gas and oil profiteers who have now turned thier eyes to Cannabis.
Thier plan is trackable, traceable clones and ready to flower plants for the Canadian market.
Once these groundwork is laid in Canada, trackable traceable cannabis will be all that is legal to grow in Canada for anyone. I absolutely see this coming in the next 5 years.

back to the skunk topic…
lets face it, most growers were growing for profit not just for thier heads. We aren;t talking true canna heads like most of us are these days, we are talking cash croppers and most with biker ties. So many grow ops were getting busted in the mid 80’s and it was all the bc skunk growers getting popped due to the stench that fill neighborhoods.
All these growers were not fine tuning nutrient regimes to coax out that skunk weed odor, they were fly by night cash croppers using mercury vapor lamps or whatever they could find that would grow plants indoors. HID tech was just developing for growers here and actual grow stores with indoor lights were unheard of back then. By the late 80’s the knowledged growers were starting to get a handle on HID lighting and grow stores began to slowly show up. The two I remember were John’s Plantland and California Hydroponics , both saw huge police and community pressures though they stayed the course.
Truthfully, Skunk was not on the radar when I started my growing journey in 89. I was mentored by patch members of the Outlaw biker club (sandy richards RIP) , and they were growing Afghani #1, Purple Indica, Hawaiin Indica and Sandy was the first person to receive the UBC Chemo clone outside the university. I was there that day.
Skunk was phased out as it was getting too many people busted and BC Bud was in huge demand in the USA. When I went out on my own in 95 , I grew the purple afghani and the chemo (sandy spelled it Kimo) and then due to working trim crews back then in HA affilliated grows, I received the biker hashplant, blueberry and NL5 which I grew till 05 when I had to shut down.
Skunk was so far off the scene by then that I would imagine “very few” held the cut anymore save for serious old heads. Skunk went underground as it was replaced with potent, tasty varieties that didn’t reek for 2 blocks vegging and whole neighborhoods at harvest time LOL

Those cash cropping skunk growers back then were not practicing some kind of special nutrient mixes, they were growing in sunshine 4 and feeding with Peters , Plant Prod or perhaps it was the Alaska fish emulsion and alaska morebloom. Not many other nutrient mixes were availlable off the shelf in the 80’s when skunk went underground.
just my thoughts

13 Likes

Wow… wait a minute…

I thought montreals kimo and ubc chemo were 2 different things?

I have no idea what 'Montreal Kimo" is.
What I do know is that Sandy received the chemo clones from a student of the plant sciences at UBC. I can’t remember his name but he was also an Outlaw and he was from the US on a student visa. Before he left for home after his courses were complete he came over to Sandy’s place and had a take out drink tray with 4 clones in styro cups. That took place in Strawberry Hill , which is a heritage area on the Surrey/North Delta border in the BC lowermainland. About an hour drive from UBC.
Sandy was a long grey bearded biker who rode a jockey shift old school home built harley, he had a huge doberman named Kato and he was a simple man who didn’t fuck around. He couldn’t spell for the life of him LOL So when he wrote out his plant tags he labelled the chemo tags with a “K”. I asked him what the K stood for and I clearly recall his sharp glance and him saying “what the fuck else would it be… it’s the Kimo”. So chemo was tagged with a K from that day on.
In the mid to late 90’s my mentor began to develop a bad addiction problem and he became very unpredictable and dangerous to be around. Those guys were pretty hardcore so I kinda distanced myself and my connections to the chemo/kimo clones.
There was a guy named Remo that did work with the plant apparently but this I learned from the internet. I didn’t join the online weed community until 2015 so I missed a lot.
But,… I have a sharp memory and recall of my weed growing years though exact years and dates escape me sometimes.
On the Skunk… I am going to have a sit down with my uncle next time I head down to the coast. He grew the skunk in it’s glory years and will have all the answers I might seek on how those plants were being fed and in what medium. Could be a while but I’ll try and report back.

19 Likes

I posted that at ic when I saw it…can’t find it there now but found the original post:

2 Likes

Im saying that I saw my friend and my step dad grow it and I know for a fact what they did for nutrients and that wasn’t the answer. It was the genetics. Unless you think indoors in soil bought from a hardware store and miracle grow were the secret :laughing:. Or outdoors in cornfields in Indiana with no added inputs. Give it a go and tell us how it works. Both produced strong skunk flowers.

Simply put from my experience, it was the genetics that made the skunk smell and not a special food or medium.

11 Likes

Thank you for the pieces of history good sir.

Just to go full circle with the mtl kimo, it’s not the same as ubc chemo…

Story goes that a bc dude came through a mtl shop in the 90s and left a half dead clone saying this is chemo/kimo, tend to it, I’ll come back and never came back…

It’s catpiss sour sap honey, grows a tad taller and more slender than the ubc. Up until the early 2010s it was everywhere, then started disappearing. The cut in on lockdown now for some reason…

16 Likes

The persistent “exhaust” trails coming out of the airplanes changed in the early 2000 era. I think the mix changed and has everything to do with it. How do a hundred famous plant phenos and loud terps just vanish? Gone suddenly all of them. Question, what plant does the “gov”, big oil/pharma, big cotton ,big paper, big everything hate the most? Well it’s cannabis of course. Change the air you can change the plant and the consumers. The sun is now white as well that also makes a difference. I know I sound crazy.

4 Likes

Prenylthiol
Back before all the fancy nutrients were available there were people who wanted to make there own organic liquid fertilizer , at home gardening books often contained at home recipes for various mixes and compost teas. It was common practice to let old beer sit out in the sun and then use it in compost tea with worm casting, molasses and guano.
Brewers yeast will make Prenylthiol, you need to grow Afghans mixed with columbians and feed them in the above matter.
Thank me later, I find nobody discussing this old practice and I promise it was huge in at home organic gardening, ive also been told bikers drink a tad bit of beer.
Maybe I’m wrong , I was going to just sit on the thought because it’s one of many , but it’s one that is being left out.
If you bring skunk back and get rich I’ll happily except a small yurt and a spot as your head grower :grin:
Prenylthiol has a low relative molecular mass and is sufficiently lipophilic to be absorbed.

:skunk:

13 Likes

Man, I need to pick up an organic chemistry book…

5 Likes

makes me wish I took chemistry instead of calculus in highschool :sweat_smile:

1 Like

"Japanese physicist Dr. Kei Mori exposed plant life to two of the conditions of the original world ecology -before the Great Flood.

He grew tomato plants under a plastic dome which filtered the ultraviolet rays; and he increased the carbon-dioxide.

After two years, a cherry tomato plant was 16 feet tall, with 903 tomatoes on it. After six years, the same tomato plant was over 30 feet tall and had produced over 5,000 tomatoes."

7 Likes

I’m a Fat Earther myself
50e93790a76f29cf79d18bcf618a6b837531b756d61d4ab33355604876f841a0

11 Likes

20230104_224337

5 Likes

To make things even more interesting heavy metals particularly cadmium have a direct effect on what is being discussed in the link I posted above about thiol production in plants and here is something related to that…

5 Likes

Slap a dirty beanie on that guy and some blue jeans and he could be my stunt double.

3 Likes