Thenasty1's quest for casey

greetings OGers.
in this thread, i will be digging into a pack of casey jones f2 (courtesy of @Indoornesian), and a couple of @LouDog420 's casey crosses. i lost a cut of casey a few years back that i held since right after i started growing, and as such, my excitement to be running these cannot be overstated.
the f2s will be running in a 4x4 tent in a flood and drain setup under 650w of led. the crosses will be in a room on a 3x6 flood table under 960(?)w of led. no medium aside from root riot cubes, and all are being fed jacks hydro, cal prime, and epsom salt from a sterile reservoir. this will be the maiden voyage for these setups- everything in this spot had to be redone mid last year and has sat idle since.
all forms of commentary are welcome.
without further ado, here are our specimens

here are the f2s before relocation. they were popped in a small flood table, lightly watered hourly from planting until today (day 18 i think). 11/11 germinated, one was extremely late to the party but it did finally pop a few days ago. the darker leaf you see in the background is a valley ghash cutting that i threw into the tray for shits and giggles

and here is their new home. the super fancy table cover is made from corrugated plastic board from the roofing department. its not very thick, thus the ultra sophisticated support system in the middle. the climate is pretty sketchy in here right now at about 78f and 30% rh, and the plants are getting about 150 umols to start out. more photons and a humidifier will be forthcoming in the next few days.

nothing noteworthy about this one (yet), just though it looked particularly photogenic

and here is the slowpoke, henceforth known as the “better late than never” pheno
thats a wrap for now. pictures of the crosses will be posted within the next couple days

20 Likes

It’s been a long time coming :sweat_smile: if you think about it, maybe since I first got here. Glad you got em and went right at it. Good luck on your journey, I’ll tag along and see what you get.

4 Likes

Do you have a plan for supporting your plants when they get bigger? With a cover over your tray the roots will fill the tray and might block your drain. Something to watch for. I cut pieces of plastic pipe to the appropriate height to support my cover. Put them under the cover like columns. I had great results with a covered flood and drain.
Following. :smiley:

1 Like

I’ll be following along!

1 Like

nope. sideways plants is how i roll

jk, several layers of trellis will be doing all the support work up top
ive got pvc columns rocking in another location in 4x8 tables. theyre working all right, but the tables still end up caving in by week 5 or 6. i will probably end up doing that here too, just didnt feel like cutting all those chunks with a hand saw lol my tools are elsewhere atm. ideally i would just replace the covers with thicker plastic but the only place i have found that sells it is far enough away that i would need to make a day of going to get them, and i dont have a whole day to devote to that right now

1 Like

Yeah I bought a 4 x 8 piece of Plexiglas and drilled holes for about 80 3.5 net pots once. At least I think it was plexiglas. It was about 20 years ago. It was pretty solid with the supports.
Sounds like you have been doing this for a while.

1 Like

yeah definitely not my first rodeo. almost 13 years ive been at it now, most of it in hydro.
ive been thinking about other ways to support these covers, but all i can come up with is columns underneath or crossbeams (thinking about getting some strips of stainless steel cut to size and just slap them across the tops). i do have one table that has a whole pvc structure underneath the lid that works really well, but its a long walk for a short drink so to speak. i really wish that the companies that make the tables would just make proper (and reasonably priced) covers themselves, but everyone just wants to throw pots of coco in them nowadays so i see why they dont

2 Likes

What was the selection process on casey f2s (# of males/females and selection directions)??.. Known cuts or selections from a pack of original h3ad gear? Any info would be appreciated

Always looking to expand the genetic pool and a set of unrelated f2s to my gear would be welcomed… I know a few others working casey projects for preservation.

Good vibes, I’ll be watching

2 Likes

they are f2s from original stock. sounds like it was a small group with reasonable uniformity, minimal selection scrutiny, one male over 3 females.
if i find anything in this run that can be of use (seed, pollen, etc) in the continuation of this line, i will be happy to send some your way.

while youre here, can you tell me what the 4sd/cdd in your crosses is? i gathered from the st jude thread that cdd is a chem concoction of some sort but i realized last night while i was tinkering with them that i had no idea what that acronym actually stood for

3 Likes

Thanks for the info nasty1

I got the cross (4SD x CDD) labeled as SuzyQ Chem from a friend. The SuzyQ was confusing with the CBD plant by the same name, so I felt better to call it by the actual cross which was 4SDxCDD to prevent confusion… .

The SuzyQ Chem (4SD x CDD) was just an incross of Reservoir seeds gear, which was 4SD (Chem 4 x Sour Diesel IBL) x ChemDD (Chem D x Sour Diesel IBL).

The cut I kept around and would have been used for the St. Jude deal is heavy sour leaning, floppy, great gas terps.

Good vibes

4 Likes

slow but sure progress report

threw a net up today, pissed off the younglings a bit in the process. note to self: trellis first, plants second
climate still sucks. best i can manage right now is 80f/48%rh. a humidifier is inbound
light is about 185 umol

here are the loudog crosses. different room, pretty much the same setup.

i will be putting in trellis rigs and recessing the table cover in a couple days. lights are running about 250 umol. theyve got a bit of a gangster lean going on, but im happy with them considering the bs they have dealt with so far (shit climate, dialing in flood times, zero support, etc). as i mentioned, these groups are the first seedlings to run through these systems since the overhaul, so they will be enduring quite a bit of trial and error before the end

(4sd x cdd) x cj bx
8/8 germinated. the close up pretty well sums up their overall condition: recovering from stress, new growth looking decent

cjsb ix
7/8 germinated, 2/7 mutants that didnt grow any foliage beyond cotyledons (i let one of them ride, you can kind of see it up in the corner). the remaining 5 are struggling but theyre pushing through it. quite serviceable imo, considering how long ago these seeds were made
reiteration of note to self-trellis first, plants second. these two groups would surely be a little less angry at life if they hadnt spent their first few weeks flopping around
no idea what im going to do about the humidity in here yet (diy swamp cooler maybe?) but i will figure something out.

im planning to flip all of these to a flowering light cycle soon, probably a day or two after the whole trellis thing is sorted out. the original intent was to just go 12/12 (or 10/14 in my case) from seed, but these needed some time to de-stress and get situated.
thatll do it for now. more pics soon

6 Likes

didnt realize it had been so long since i last updated. heres the latest

overhead from the f2 tent

all are looking well enough, but the 4 smaller ones will probably be culled. very excited to see some familiar leaf structure on some of these, feels like seeing an old friend after years apart. this photo is from today, tonight will be their first full dark cycle. still getting around 200 umols.

i like this one. not the casey-est looking out of the bunch, but aesthetically pleasing nonetheless

overhead of the crosses

these have been on a flowering light cycle for 8 days now, currently around 450 umols and steadily increasing daily. 4 culled and 2 males confirmed in each group. 1 confirmed female in the sour/chem cross.

here are the cjsb. looks to me like i can see increasing amounts casey in each one, and all have that BOG structure to some degree too

i like this one a lot so far- excellent structure, laughs in the face of adversity, and definitely the casey-est looking out of the bunch.

here is the 4sd/cdd cross. got my eye on big n’ tall in the back right there. its a dude, and he has also performed very well under duress thus far. not as branchy as id like, but the vigor cannot be ignored

and for shits and giggles, here is the whole room

back table is the lab rat crew, cindy99 x hickok haze. their suffering helped me dial things in enough to be comfortable starting the others. props to them for taking one for the team. the ones lower to the ground are valey ghash in 1 gal pots of coco. i avoid medium of any kind whenever possible, but it was the only way to save this cut from a disaster a while back. she was the only survivor. but if there was only ever to be one, im glad it was her. shes been with me a long time, and shes an absolute soldier of a plant. flowering these out for my headstash and maybe to pollinate a branch or two if i find a good male.

peace and healthy plants, friends. updates will be more frequent now that flowering is underway.

8 Likes

I was wondering when we might get an update. Things are coming along nicely. Looking forward to seeing them in flower. :smiley:

1 Like

things are getting interesting in the f2 tent.

3 have been culled so far. i have 3 males and 5 females remaining.
2 of those 3 males have the potential to be worth saving and/or using, so im going to let them run until theyre about ready to drop the dust before i make my selection.
there are 2 stand out females as well. like the males, there is a lankier one and a stockier one.
all in all, id say i got pretty lucky with this group and im really happy with what im seeing so far

here is the lanky female. i leaned her over because she is way taller than the rest of the plants when standing upright

here is the stocky female. the cut i had back in the day was lanky as hell, but if a plant with this structure can produce flower with the same effects as my old cut, that would be pretty cool

here is one of the males. the other is way in the back and i cant get a good pic of him. he was taller than everyone at one point, but he fell over and broke his stem earlier on and now exhibits a more compact structure. his resilience and resemblance to my original cut are whats keeping him in the running.

now on to less exciting news

this is whats left of the crosses. 4 males were chopped. the 2 4sd/cdd x caseys had damage to the base of their stems and one died. the other is now a shadow of what she could have been. but the cjsb (and some of the f2s as well)had the same damage and both bounced back pretty well so its possible they were weaker specimens to begin with.
4sd/cdd x cj

cjsb

out of the cjsb, there is 1 stable looking female

and one super roided out monster. its showing pistils, but in my experience, plants like this usually turn out herm. keeping a close eye on this one, fingers crossed

and here is a male i saved from the 4sd/cdd group. he had the stem damage too, but he kept on trucking. im letting him grow a bit to see if he does anything interesting. im working on putting together a space to grow males out, if i can do it in time he may end up being the guinea pig for it

thats everything as of today. id like to call for a brief moment of silence for all the plants that perished due to my impatience.

nugs and pollen chucking coming soon

8 Likes

the f2 group

4 females remain. no more will be culled unless necessary. each looks to be a different pheno to me. these will get another layer of trellis and a thorough pruning soon (strategic larf branches will remain for pollen chucking)

one of these males resembled my old cut in structure, the other was stockier but vigorous as hell. couldnt decide between them, so im taking pollen from both. looks like its going to be a minute before any significant amount can be collected

the crosses

this is that monster cjsb that i thought was going to herm out. she hasnt so far, and the vigor on this thing is out of control. shes easily taking up double the canopy space of the other two combined. heres hoping she stays a she

this is the sole surviving 4sd/cdd x cj bx. she was the first to start throwing trichomes, and it smells a lot like my old cut. glad this little one pulled through

here is the stockier cjsb. nice, natural menorah structure on this one. all ive had to do so far is pull a couple leaves and move a couple branches to accommodate her massive neighbor

aside from the pollen deployment, should be more or less cruise control from here on out.

3 Likes

good lord im lazy. its been a while

so this one is the new star of the show. shes the 4sd/cdd x cj bx that almost died early on. the flower structure looks damn near identical to my old cut, and it smells like it too but if you dipped in a bucket of diesel and stirred it around a bit. id estimate at least 4 weeks to go on this one

here is the group of crosses

this is the turbo mutant cjsb

and this is the more compact cjsb

here is the f2 tent. these phenos are all over the place and the two on the left are unruly as all hell. theyre not even close to done stretching, and ive been having to top them every few days in an attempt to keep them under control. none have the smell or look of the old cut yet but theres time. these have a long way to go yet

5 Likes

You have my attention! Looks like a fun project with a great strain. I found a Casey cut and that’s pretty much what convinced me to get back into this great hobby. Hopefully you find what you’re looking for in there :call_me_hand:
@thenasty1

1 Like

Looks good in here. 4sd/cdd mama goes crazy foxtails with smaller calyxs that really swell at 70+ days.

Hope you find something worth keeping around to your liking! Thanks for sharing

2 Likes