There has to be a way to

Pest control and management is a multi-billion dollar industry. If someone figured it out, big pharmaceutical would pay them a ton of money to keep their lips shut. Or you know, knock ‘em off. If they don’t play ball.

2 Likes

bruhh you just ranked up (or wanked up) depending which country you are in

2 Likes

6 Likes

the industry aint shit if we electrocute them too

2 Likes
1 Like

Rods From God

2 Likes

Years back when I first started to grow in hydroponics I was too much of a cheap ass to buy a water chiller. I diy’d one from an ac and being my first prototype I never insulated anything. The water return would splash waterfall style in the control bucket and droplets would hit the stripped ac (don’t do this at home lol).

One night I came back to my grow and I could smell like something had shorted, looked at everything and nada. Went to tie down some plants, when I touched the stalk I got shocked LOL felt like a paper cut.

Checked the web, found an oldschool method called electroculture, I thought fuck it let’s experiment.

Now wtf does this have to do with anything here. Well in my 2nd room I had a dirt grow infested with mites on steroids, I never saw a sign of pests on my electrocuted hydro plants.

Coincidence, I don’t think so. :thinking: hahaha

But seriously, you might be onto something

2 Likes

You could likely arc ball bearings in soil using probes if you had enough of them in the media.

1 Like
1 Like

They’ve been doing it with a ktricity gun for 40 years apparently

1 Like

Research on that exact subject…
can’t read the whole thing…

Correction, full study is public

2 Likes
1 Like

I’ll read it tomorrow. On why I don’t think it will work, to have enough conductivity and power to fry the little fuckers will fry your roots also. I read a section.

" a non-discharging electric field is referred to as a static electric field and a discharge-generating electric field as a dynamic electric field. The amount of electricity required for electrification is proportional to, and increases with, the applied voltage of the voltage generator. The applied voltage corresponds to the potential difference from the earth ground. In electrostatic and static electric fields, a larger potential difference creates more remarkable electrostatic phenomena, as a result of the greater attractive or repulsive force generated in the electric field. This allows the capture of spores and insect pests that enter the electric field. Especially, a static electric field exerts sufficient force to capture various insect pests. The main characteristic of a static electric field is the negative charge of the insulated conductor, which creates a strong repulsive force against other negative charges (electrons) in the electric field, pushing them toward the ground. Via this mechanism, any conductor that enters this field is deprived of its free electrons (negative electricity) and becomes positively charged. This phenomenon is called discharge-mediated positive electrification of the conductor. An insect that enters a static electric field is deprived of free electrons in the cuticle layer and becomes positively charged. Positively electrified insects are attracted to the insulated conductor. This force is so strong that the captured insect cannot escape. This capture mechanism is applicable to almost all insects."

Yup, the good old tractor beam. Used in farming for ages by Klingon’s.

I will continue with more tomorrow.

3 Likes

I’m going from memory here…

When I read about electroculture, the one thing that struck me is the non existent replicability.

Spectacular results were achieved at one university, while the same setup elsewhere would fail miserably, even worst than the control group.

Soil composition, moisture and air humidity all played a role in this thing…
Wet soils canceled the effect, silicate rich soils did amazing etc

Another thing is the frequency of the current used…

Killing pests without hurting the plants, or even better injecting new vigor would prove difficult…

Like an opera singer breaking a wine glass, without spilling the wine lol

4 Likes

This sounds like a static wand thing I got for Christmas one year. It would float little foil shapes about 15 inches above the wand. Prolly could make a battery-powered static bug killer using the same technique

1 Like

There’s a seed company that treats their seeds with electricity before sending them to people, the supposed better germ rates, pest free and double vigor wears off after 30 days.

Can’t remember their name… somewhat popular place

2 Likes

My brother designs electronics and one product the company makes is a electric fence power supply. It is used to keep cattle in, gives them a good jolt even through their thick hides. He told me once he had one of those tennis racket type of bug killers that you swat bugs with, He wondered what kind of shock he would get off of it, he has been hit by their units while testing them. He said the racket thing “REALLY HURT!”

I have got hit with 120V regular enough, a higher voltage also, once I flew backwards six feet and do not remember flying. It was a pretty sturdy high voltage supply. But both times were well before my career which I needed my electrical license. So I do know a thing or two about electricity. I don’t see any practical way to get them while in the soil. The tennis racket thing? If you have it above the soil they can fly into it and get zapped if they touch both electrodes. The tennis racket ones are for bigger insects than root aphids and the like. Mind you, sticky traps don’t need batteries.

Could try zapping the soil with a stun gun :grinning:

On a more serious note this is pretty neat.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/10/china-has-made-a-shocking-food-production-discovery-electro-culture/

Yeah right