There has to be a way to

Wood is not a good conductor of electricity I don’t think.

Coped from google:

Spider mites thrive in an environment that is warm, dry and low in humidity. …( This is my environment)

You may not be able to control the temperature, but spider mites HATE moisture . So keeping your plant well hydrated and increasing the humidity if your space will go a long way in preventing spider mites from damaging your plants.

I plan to run my Humidifier to keep my Humidity HIGH while slowing down my inline fan from now on.

The ‘paper’ gives no way of removing bugs from soil. The referenced material has methods like causing an electrostatic field in the air to dissuade the insect from getting closer, or in rice, which is kept in dry conditions to reduce spoilage. The 15hV or more used would be shorted out in soil.

Dudes will play with their lives trying to electrify plants before they’ll just use an off the shelf pesticide lol. Apex level foolishness. Don’t fuck with electricity unless you really know what you’re doing.

If it was easy and effective and safe we’d already be doing it, y’all. Electricity isn’t new.

3 Likes

I say if you have an idea, run with it. Try it out. If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work. Back to the drawing board. Experimentation is key. Sure a lot of things were discovered by “accident”, but many were discovering by failing, and recording results. Then trying again. Sure electricity can be dangerous. But the type of low electric static can be produced by stacking AA batteries. You ain’t gonna kill yourself because of some AA’s.

2 Likes

Challenge accepted.

2 Likes

Coral actually thrives when electrified:

Possibly the same idea could be applied to plants like Cannabis to rid it of pests and maybe even have a positive effect on it’s growth.

Or maybe not :slight_smile: Coral is pretty different than cannabis.

2 Likes

Oh man! All I can think of now is that moment in Wayne’s World when Garth uses that belt zapper in the club. Lol.

Cannabis and coral are more similar than one might think right off the bat. Growing environments use many of the same principals in many different aspects from trace elements to nutrients, to feeding to lights used to produce growth and photosynthesis. :smiley:

3 Likes

2023bfabdcfa48f4cf859f118090eec8ffbba8f43d34a8db6a4cc58c3229341f
Hmmm Interdesting concept I will think abaadit

I agree to a point. But they do not both benefit from the same spectrum. I get seeds locally from a seedbank guy. Him and his buddy have been experimenting with all kinds of spectrums in custom leds. He specifically said the ones that made everything seem like they were in an aquarium, produced subpar flowers.

1 Like

They use T5, LED, and Metal Halide on the regular in the home reefing/propogation game. Very similar to us. :smiley:

^^^ but not on topic, so I wont hi-jack the thread any more - sorry all. Shock the plants!

https://ysjournal.com/the-relationship-between-various-electric-current-voltage-levels-and-the-germination-and-post-germination-growth-of-radish-raphanus-sativus-l/

4 Likes

OK budding scientists. What is the mechanism you are exploiting to rid the soil of pests? High voltage to annoy them so they leave or actually fry them?

2 Likes

I think that in reference to a russet mite, the killing by zapping would be ideal. Since russets are under the skin of your plants, they may not get that annoyed by a frequency? Or would they all hatch out and frenzy like they did when I tried an anti-fungal treatment?

Prayer and a spray bottle tbh :sweat_smile:

Which is made funnier by the fact that I’m an atheist :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That’s what I’m doing now. Except it’s very expensive to keep up with the sprays. Gotta alternate them, and spray Something every 3 days. Not to mention the time and effort. Everyone I talked to said “burn it down!” But here I am, at over 260days into IPM. I’m winning, but not on the cheap! So if someone can figure out electricity for the next guy, maybe he wouldn’t be so broke. Lol.

1 Like

Wrapping my pots in double pantyhose works wonders to keep out soil and root pests. I just adjust the flexible tie strap at the stalk (loosen) as it grows.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea for flyers for sure. Russets hatch from underneath the skin though. They lay the eggs there. So not sure that would work when it comes to russets. Perhaps temporarily, but they would just make their way farther up the stem eventually.

1 Like

Russets live on the surface. They do not burrow in the plant or lay eggs in the plant.

A couple AA batteries and some wire ain’t gonna cure russet mites.

Do whatcha want, your plants. Just trying to save you all time.

1 Like

Russets absolutely lay eggs under the skin. If they were a surface pest, they wouldn’t be so hard to eliminate. As I mentioned earlier, applying a fungal cream on the base of the stalk causes them to hatch and frenzy to the next available branch. I discovered this.