Thrips in my grow room confirmed there aphids

Need some ideas on what works I’ve sprayed with safers end all planning a second spray today it’s been 4 days since I last sprayed . I’m starting week 4 of bud and the buggers are back ! Will a sulphur burn do them in ? There still crawling not many flying that I can see did have lady bugs but haven’t seen them in a while not sure what happened to them ? And suggestions welcome.

5 Likes

Add live ladybugs :beetle: :beetle: :beetle: :beetle:

Edit: Lady bugs will eventually leave if their food supply dries up.

Every time I opened my grow up a couple would make a run for it…

1 Like

Hey ShiskaberrySavior. I tried Safer’s insecticidal soap and found it doesn’t kill the larvae. I’ve soaked em and watched em not die under the microscope. It seems to only incapacitate them temporarily. Spinosad works a charm but I wouldn’t recommend it mid flower. Maybe look into predator mites.

7 Likes

That’s my thoughts to on spinosad actually 3 1/2 weeks into bud not 4 but still ! Anyone know if a sulphur burn would do them in ?
Wished this would of happened a few weeks back when all the lady bugs were still out . predator mites are my only solution then there isn’t any safe spray at this stage ?

1 Like

I’d spray spinosad and then get green lacewings.

I’m pretty sure I brought some in. I sprayed sulfur every three days, now I’m going to neem and spinosad rotating. Then I’ll put in lacewings at 4 weeks into flower.

Lacewings are better than ladybugs. IMO

So your saying I’m still ok to spray at this stage , also to sulphur burn

1 Like

No I wouldn’t spray sulfur. I’ve never done the sulfur burn.

I would spray spinosad being your at 3.5 weeks. Then order green lacewings. 2,500 is over kill but it’s also $15. So it doesn’t cost much.

1 Like

Awful pic but I’m guessing they’re fungus gnat or root aphid pupa. Just to round for thirps imo.

1 Like

spray spinosad on the soil. repeat in about 4 days. after that keep adding teas to replace your soil biology. Spinosad will knock them back ALOT. if not get rid of them for the rest of the flower.

I would NOT burn sulfer.

next round you might spray spinosad right at a week into flower before much pistils have developed at all.

1 Like

Thanks skiball I’m honestly not sure what they are they look to be green and move slow , holding a leaf up to a heat source will get them to move quicker no flying bugs that I can see yet but they are sucking the pigment from the leaves looking through a scope it’s hard to actually see what they look like maybe resembling a worm of sorts!

What ever they are there in the early stages of life as I just noticed them in the last couple of days

2 Likes

Get some yellow sticky traps up asap if you have them. They won’t fix your problem, but they will help mitigate a breakout. You can also defoliate the most affected fan leaves. That will help with control as well.

4 Likes

Thrips are easy, two applications of spinosad and they are done. I usually notice the thrips damage before actually seeing the pest. It looks like a whitish residue on the leaf.

Here is a microscope picture of a thrips, notice the whitish residue, the black dots are excrement.

8 Likes

If they’re moving slow that rules of root aphids. Thank the lord for that.

3 Likes

@ReikoX I don’t see any excrement yet or for that matter the white your showing just tiny green/yellowish dots that move only if tormented or exposed to heat , I laid a leaf on a hot plate and cranked it up and that made the bastards move otherwise if left to there own they don’t seem to move just sucking the green from the leaves at this time.
Thanks again for everyone’s input to my mystery bug problems

1 Like

You can run Spinosad in flower. I had the same issue, I ran it till 6 weeks or so in, every 3 days, I used a quality sprayer, hosed the Hell out of them, then followed each spray with a spray of clean water 2 hours or so after teach treatment. Killed my mites, saved my harvest, it is down and other than killing some smell n taste the weed finished fine. JMHO
Gotta do the stalks and buckets and areas around the base of the buckets too.

2 Likes

Thanks jetdro I’ve got a Greco sprayer that’s the cats ass for spraying that I use . Good idea to do a clean water spray a couple hrs later never thought to do that!

I’d been warned it will shrink the tric’s on the buds make them shrivel up ? Maybe a wash with clean water will avoid that?

I sprayed them every 3 days for weeks the clean water after really helps. I harvested the run, everything was just fine, but they lost a bit of nose and taste. Buds came down clean, no bugs, and was super happy about it.
Gotta spray really really well, dripping ass wet, and really do under sides of the leaves. I used about 3/4 of a gallon on my area of 4x4 with 9 plants in it with the fresh water, about 1/2 gallon of the Spinosad mix each time.
The buds I pressed yesterday that yielded over 20% were from that run. Most here will say Spinosad does not work, I do not follow that thought, as I personally watched it work and save my nice harvest. It worked so well, I have not sprayed in over a month, maybe more, no more bugs in any of my rooms. I did ALL MY PLANTS when I ran the spray, Mothers, cuts, veg plants too. You can even spray lights on, I do, just raise the lights a bit while I do it.

These buds were in that run, and sprayed 50 times if sprayed once!

2 Likes

Here’s a better picture of the little shits .

7 Likes

Sure looks like an aphid to me. If you’re almost at 4 weeks and not seeing a ton of them I would personally not go crazy with pesticides.

If you can get them out of the room easily then cover the soil with a garbage bag or something and blast them with the shower/garden hose. You can easily knock the majority of them off. If you do this twice a week for the next couple weeks you should be able to leave them the last 2 weeks and not have to worry about a bad infestation.

If that’s not an option safers soap w a few drops of dish soap will knock them back. If they’re small enough mix a pail or garbage can full of it and dunk them right in to the soil.

Basically I’m thinking that your goal is just keep them at bay and not mess up your bud, vs trying to go nuclear. You’ll have to clean your room very well after but you can start new.

Those sticky strips will definitely really help too!

11 Likes

IF it is just Aphid’s beacher is correct, the sprayer pumped really hard with cold fresh water can just blast them off.
I doubt you can move them into a bathtub to really hose them off, but your good sprayer will develop enough pressure to “knock” them off.

4 Likes