TIL - Today I Learned

Today I “Learned” the kid in the produce department at the grocery store how to pick a good cantaloupe. He offered me a job. :wink:

3 Likes

TIL my water filter works …but every time I use it it needs to be flushed with fresh water otherwise the water that sits in it is just as bad as the line. (measured with ppm and EC- new meter :wink:)

1 Like

That’s a good lesson to learn to be fair mate

1 Like

Yeah. I think it works along the same lines as never drinking water that comes out when you turn the hot water tap on. Water goes stale when sitting too long to.

3 Likes

That used to be the same here in England when we had split feeds. Hot water was usually heated in a tank (immersion heater) so could pick up sediment and germy shit from standing. If you use a Combi boiler though it’s usually the same feed through these days from one single “cold” line. So short of tasting a bit nasty it’s actually as safe as cold water nowadays

4 Likes

I’d rather drink my water with possum piss than town water anyday. Gumnuts and all lol. The way pop explained it (pop to this day is the smartest man I know) the crap out of the copper lines leech. And then when we add heat(flux) there’s more crap added. Then we add sitting constantly in hot(warm(ish)) water. I’ve still got the robinson5 out in the shed somewhere lol, and her matching boiler. A pain in the arse splitting wood for a warm shower during summer though!

6 Likes

TIL from watching a you tube video recently that excessive nitrogen additives to soils/plants can cause pests to be attracted to the plants especially aphids and other sap suckers !

2 Likes

…I recently heard a breeder say a big dose of N in mid-flower will tend to cause a herm & self itself. :thinking:

Both are plant stress reactions (pest attraction & herming) so maybe pretty leaves aren’t the best leaves?

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Yah there seems to be a lot of deep green leaves from time to time upon observation!

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGIJxNPFpAQ

1 Like

Today I learned that JWA Fucks up grasshoppers in a big way check out Tinytuttle grow chronicles post 777

4 Likes

Today I learned to inspect for light leaks before your 8 week old plants start to reveg!!!

:cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

Today I learned from reading the book “Natural remedies handbook “50 plants 1000 uses

That that just 100 g of peppermint constains more than 500mg of potassium!

I might find myself steeping some of my mints in the next batch of compost tea. I’d think spearmint might have some similarities as well may have to do some googling!

3 Likes

Not to mention the IPM properties. :+1::seedling:

Dont forget rosemary is a mint too…

2 Likes

TIL Rosemary is a mint… :wink:

6 Likes

Today I learned that the language of animals is vastly more comprehensive than I had imagined.

https://www.npr.org/2011/01/20/132650631/new-language-discovered-prairiedogese

2 Likes
3 Likes

I knew it!

:lemon::lemon::lemon::lemon::lemon: some ‘pee’ for 20 chars lol

1 Like

There’s also auxins in urine. I’m not sure if anyone’s ever figured out why, yet.

1 Like

14 Likes