Tim’s first Vietnamese black grow

I’m only going to start 2 for now. I’m using my 2x4
I’m going to grow it out even if it’s male just so I know how they grow

4 Likes

oh i see. the numbers on the paper towel are for you to isolate and label each seed before you make your selections. i thought you were planning on popping all 19 and considered you an extremely brave new grower. :stuck_out_tongue:

when i had selected seeds for my first grow, i had intentionally selected at least a few runty looking seeds. some of the runts ended up surprising me in a very positive way. i know you’re only selecting 2, so i’m sure the right seeds will call out to you.

6 Likes

Highminwin, I picked the littlest and the biggest seed of the lot. I just cut my Aloe and added it to the water and dropped them in at 9:00

5 Likes

Dropped 2 Vietnamese black seeds, 9:00pm 6-23-2022. Aloe water, 80 degrees.

11 Likes

You only wanna soak in aloe water for an hour or two - aloe water ferments pretty quick, especiialy on a heating mat

If you’re having trouble popping seeds, throw em in a fridge for a week, then let em get to room temp, soak for only an hour (once the submerge), then plant (or paper towel them at this point)

4 Likes

I soaked the beans for 18 hours, put them in paper towels Friday at 3:00 pm.
I haven’t peeked

2 Likes

You are stronger than me. I peek all the time😁

:green_heart::seedling:

5 Likes

Just looked, I got 2 little tails in 22 hours!
How neat.
How long do I wait, till the seed head comes off?
I only ever started in soil.

4 Likes

Sprouted already highminwin!

3 Likes

If you have tails you can place in soil and then the head should come off. You can also put them in Rotor router or pellets. I have only had the shell come off on one in paper towel.

I use the rooters until the show roots than transplant.

:green_heart: :seedling:

3 Likes

Yee haaa, love some tails, put em in the dirt and you’ll be good to go.

3 Likes

Thanks you guys! I’m soo excited

3 Likes

11 Likes

7 Likes

oh yeaaaahh tim! you got tails, congrats! and you were worried about germination… now that that’s done with though, you’ll have other things to worry about, lol.

i’m curious on the amount of soil you put in your party cups, it looks like they’re maybe half full with soil. any reason you didn’t add more soil in? i have seen some other growers who put just a small amount into their cups, so i wasn’t sure if you had some specific thinking.

6 Likes

this is an interesting technique you bring up @Wuachuma. i imagine it’s like a winter hardening. i’ve heard sometimes that can jump start certain seeds which need to go through a period like that. have you tried it yourself? have you noticed any seeds which fail because of it, like perhaps the cold was bad for them rather than good? i know at the small levels we grow plants at, it may be hard to really come to any conclusive hypothesis about things, but personal experience totally counts for something.

4 Likes

I keep mine in a fridge. I take them out while making the water mix than soak them 24 hours and then the rooters for 24 hours while the seeds are in the paper towel.

:green_heart: :seedling:

4 Likes

To easier bury the stem with fresh soil when they get lanky? Just a guess.

1 Like

i agree that would be my guess as well. but aren’t tall lanky plants something we’re hoping not to have? they’re what you would get if your lighting isn’t dialed in. otherwise if your environment is good, hopefully the plant will be growing fast, strong and lean, with tight internodal spacing. in that situation, it would feel like the plant was buried down in the cup.

i’m curious to know tim’s thoughts. perhaps he just didn’t think about it. i know when i was transplanting my first plants, i realized later that it would have been nice if i would’ve raised a few of them one or two inches up so that their branches weren’t so close to the soil surface. good hindsight and experience though.

2 Likes

I thought I might get leggy seedlings like I do in root cubes so I filled my cups about the same depth as a root cube thinking I could add soil in a couple weeks.
I did spend a lot of time trying to perfect my seedling tent.
Average 82 degrees, humidity at about 55/60% small intake fan and light 24W 6” from canopy.
If I fixed all my previous problems with the seedling stage and they do real well I figured I’d cut that cup down.

1 Like