Tinytuttles growing chronicles!

Pile #2 about 18-19 hours in !

4 Likes

Making a potash amendment ,burning down all the twigs, branches of the cosmos dead grass and vines of the pumpkins a good source of K for next grows!

4 Likes

One flick of the ferro rod and she off!

6 Likes

Start of day 4 compost got up to 150F and started to decline, time to turn and wet the pile, since I have two piles going the tops and edges of pile #1 goes into the center of pile #2 and Vice versa with some mixing on the bottoms of both to fluff the pile and make sure there’s no dry spots!

Here you can see vapor coming off in this pic!

4 Likes

Already turning nice and dark and crumbly!

4 Likes

Need a good way to get rid of those Holloweed pumpkins! Lol Start a worm bin and give them a nice fillet of pumpkin! This piece will probably be gone in a week or so.

3 Likes

Last year I made a pumpkin FFJ. In fact, it is still in the growlers with an air lock. I bet it is scary now!

3 Likes

Sounds good! Would one assume that it would be a good k and p additive, I hope to trial more bokashi composting and Jadam natural farming techniques next year will have to see if my EM1 is still good and make some more Bokashi bran!

3 Likes

Yes squash are very useful in flowering. I have a banana, squash, and papaya FFJ I made that works great!

I definitely want to get into bokashi composting for my meat and dairy…

3 Likes

Learn how to make it it’s much cheaper maybe you already know but a good carbon source to inoculate your bran is Red wheat chaff I picked up a huge 40-50 lb bag at farmers co-op for like 15$ which I was thinking about wonder if I could use wheat chaff like rice as in aearation what’s your thoughts @ReikoX, @DavesNotHere, @Muleskinner? There a good book on Bokashi I own and would recommend by “Adam Footer”

3 Likes

Not done it personally, I was going to pick up wheat bran from the brew store.

Not sure if the chaff would work as well as rice hulls. I know buckwheat hulls have been known to rob nitrogen (reading about it on ICMag). I use a mix of about 60/40 lava rock/rice hulls.

3 Likes

I would probably agree, wondering if it would be a good source of silica ?

2 Likes

From my understanding, rice hull biochar is high in plant available silica. I would asdume once they break down (takes over a year) the silica would become available.

3 Likes

I got some oat bran and sprayed it with EM1. I put it in the used grokashi bag and left it for like three weeks now. I’ll check it when I get home and take pics. Not sure if it’s the same as the bokashi bran but I’m pretty sure I read that’s how you make more.

2 Likes

I forgot to mention Rice hulls would probably work as well as wheat for the substrate that needs inoculated I think book I mentioned above even suggests using used coffee grounds.

3 Likes

Yes, read about the coffee ground thing on the unconventional farmer website. Starbucks gives them away for free!

3 Likes

Ya I’ll bet in the 1st four hours of business you’d have a 5 gallon bucket at least !

3 Likes

Well last turning of the compost bin this year temp was down in the 70’s combined the two piles watered it down ! Lots of dark crumbly material in here! Probably 90% done for guessing!

4 Likes

We’ll see if we can get 1 more temperature push with this pile, hope I can get it up to 130-140 range! I dry cap of insulated leaves and then a tarp cover !

5 Likes

Sign of some resident red wigglers setting up shop in the compost pile!

Didn’t have to look to hard to find cacoons!

4 Likes