TLT - Congo Red Stem

It does appear that the higher the concentration, the lower the germination success. They started with 1%. But they never tested any lower concentrations. I’m sure all sorts of different concentrations work, but if my old books says 2% of 2%, and that works, I’m going to stick with that. Does it mean other percentages don’t work? No, of course not. I just prefer to use the lowest percentage that I can use successfully, and I have been successful. My germination rates on 6-month old seeds are about 100%, and there’s was 82%( successful germination or just success on day 2?)They showed their seeds that were soaked in water as barely being open at day 4, and mine are jumping out of their shells at day 2. Also, they are using tissue culture, and in that case maybe it’s beneficial to use a bit more hydrogen peroxide. If they were at 82% with a 1% solution, I wonder if they would have achieved 100% with less, as the correlation they are showing shows that the more you use the less benefit it has.
In the end, use what is been working for you. When you switch up your successful ways, bad things can happen😁

6 Likes

Yeah they could have started with concentrations that are too high. Maybe they started with common concentrations used in other disinfectants that use H2O2? Maybe for ease of dilution? I think the study has a focus toward use in tissue culture, so maybe that explains the concentrations too. I agree, I think concentrations below 1% are worth investigating.

4 Likes

I agree, there are likely concentrations below 1% that are comparable, if not better. I just wanted to explain my reasoning for choosing that specific concentration and felt like it was interesting to share. I don’t doubt your success and I am not trying to convert anyone to the cult of 1% H2O2 lol. I think it’s just good baseline information to further build a standard. Seemed important when we might only have one shot a popping some of the beans being preserved. 100% germination was achieved by day 4 on concentrations of 1, 3, and 5%. 1% was just the fastest. The other percentages were germination by day.

4 Likes

yes 100 percent for 5 year old Seeds. There are still older Seeds on this Planet, they may need the Sweetspot. Cause Germination Phase is the crutial Part, where they either Die or survive. Thats cause
A: very old Seeds have very low stored Energy left in tehm (Thats why we use Giberlic Acid)
B: Fungi and Bacteria are more dangerous to old Seeds (Thats why we use H202)
,Thats why i adressed why they didnt test lower Deci-mation. Any unneccesary Factor might battle Point A. or battle live in general.

That was a great link you posted earlier, and definitely continue to throw them out there. Now that I know I can use higher percentages, there may be some times where I feel they are necessary. Good to know in the end they had 100% germination. Now we know that up to 5% is safe to use, and I think I have heard of people using even stronger percentages with success. At some point we will probably have to use tissue culture to save something, and now we know that 1% seems to work very well. Thanks for sharing and I hope I didn’t come off like I was in disagreement over your choice of %… there’s more than one way to tie your shoes!

4 Likes

Nah, save to use? if babies grow slower, thats no good. Not good for old seeds where they have very few resting stored energy,

Anyway, i opened a Thread about it to discuss further :wink::

2 Likes

It’s all good, hope I didn’t seem like I was pushing it on you. Good to know that concentration has been working well for you.

Wait, you’re using what % H2O2!? lol

3 Likes

how’s your run going?

3 Likes

Any updates?

1 Like

@zephyr @Upstate Everything is going well. It’s about day 52 of veg. Plan to flip next week sometime. Just need to get the pots ready.

Nice color developing on the stems of most of the plants. I will have to take some better pics when I get a minute.

16 Likes

Coming along nice! Pretty stems. Cant wait to see some flowers!

4 Likes

Quite a bit has changed in the last 21 days.

Flower start: 5/21
Light cycle: 11.5 hours

I have 6 females and 4 males.

The 5 larger plants were transplanted about 5 days ago and one was transplanted today. Stretching like crazy. Definitely going to have to bend a few of them over a bit.

More of the red coloration which is mostly on the stems of the fan leaves, with some streaks of red on the main stems.

Kind of the general leaf shape on all the plants. Not much variation between them in that regard. Height is the immediate difference.

Not much to show for the females as far a flower development goes.

Current stage of development of the males. All are really consistent.

Choice male. Shortest out of all the plants and has wanted for nothing.

14 Likes

The two taller plants have now grown above the base of my light. They average an inch per day of growth. Likely a bit more than that even. Approaching 5’ tall…hopefully they will stop stretching soon.

More red stem. This one is sticky and gummy feeling.

14 Likes

If this is to germ seeds i always run about 25% (by eye) of regular shelf 3% peroxide and 75% water. Then after mixing it ph it to slightly acidic( 6.2 i aim at. ) this has worked well for me. Just popped 16 seeds of 6 different strains in that mix with 100% germ rate in 48-72 hrs.

3 Likes

My current situation. Still stretching out… Going to have to wrangle em back down or at least try. In the meantime…l’m going to take advantage of all those hairs and hit them with the first round of pollen.

19 Likes

Woohoo those are some leggy girls.

6 Likes

Love love love how that stem looks.

3 Likes

Yes, leggy indeed. They’ve exploded since going into 5 gallon pots. I bent the main stems over hoping to slow them down a bit which caused the side branches to shoot out and now the main stems are back lol. Just watered too so they are going to go crazy. I think the description of them is pretty accurate, they’d hit 3 meters no problem. Would love to see them perform outdoors.

8 Likes

It’s a really nice almost fuchsia color. There are some deeper reds mixed in there too. Would have liked to see one with a completely red stem.

6 Likes

Keep selecting and breeding. I’m sure the LEDs help, mine do.

4 Likes