Tobacco mosaic virus or Hop latent viroid?

I got this going on passed from plant to plant the last two grows only on a few plants tho of different species. Not doing anything but making the plant a big shaggy looking. Im tossing all dirt and scrubbing all grow equipment at the end of the season. Restart fresh. I hope this does not transfer thru seeds.

2 Likes

Shit man I hope I’m wrong but looks like hplv to me.

2 Likes

All my plants are from seed def transfers thru seeds. Il cut out any plants that show this and see what I can salvage. Looks like a total loss tho all needs cut and sterilized

3 Likes

Checking out photos of both TMV and hp virus I am pretty sure what I have going is the tobacco virus. Not really doing a ton of damage but ugly for sure.

2 Likes

I had some look exactly like that. Did 5 mosaic virus tests and all came back negative. I keep doing research and found someone who had photos exact like ours and had positive tests for hplv.

2 Likes

Test results are a few posts down
And what I experienced

2 Likes

I don’t see test results but I’d recommend you both get full panels done

3 Likes
1 Like

They Said
many growers suspect TMV in plants that develop a mosaic-like pattern of discoloration on the leaves that cannot be attributed to nutrient deficiencies. Our team has screened several suspected TMV plants only to find Hop Latent Viroid. While this does not rule out the possibility of TMV infecting cannabis and hemp plants, we have not been able to confirm an infection, yet. Perhaps you will be the first!

3 Likes

In was referring to your test results. I trashed all my mom’s and started over, nightmare.

2 Likes

Yep it’s the virus :pensive: but this clone came from a mother plant that has produced many clones and they seem to have come out great, good smell sticky smooth smoke and very nice high surprisingly. Many people that grew these clones have had the same outcome. I don’t know how it transfers but I’m definitely not culling mine!!

3 Likes

These are all from the same mother plant with the virus and all turned out fantastic!

5 Likes

Popped a couple testers I received from hazeman. I started both from seed and while they may have had some ph/nutrient issues that problem has been mostly resolved(I think this 1 needs more cal/mag). Both had the same issues, slow growth and the leaf issues that eventually grew out to healthy looking.
I have cloned them both yet still slow they are a bit quicker than the mothers and healthy looking growth only.
To me it looks like a virus. First pic is from April I think. You can see in the last pic(taken today) the new growth looks pretty good.

Oddly enough the seeds I bought from the breeder are beautiful through and through but theyre tiny and also slow as all hell to grow it really is ridiculous.

2 Likes

Maybe slightly over watered, I’ve had similar problems with overwatering also having to hot of a root zone will do some weird things. I had to wrap my pots with some reflective material I should have just got white pots but always learning!.

4 Likes

Here’s my similar problem plant…

I have a C99 that shows variegation and a little bit of subtle leaf deformation after a cutting of this one plant starts to grow well in veg. This happened the first time I took a cut and I tossed the first one. There is absolutely no sign of anything strange on the mother plant. I really want opinions from anyone that has dealt with plant viruses on their cannabis plants. I don’t want to be too paranoid and toss this plant, but if it is something that could spread then forget it.

Mother plant - no sign whatsoever, other than leaf burn from growing into the LED strip:

From the first cut that I tossed:

And now just from today on the latest cut:

Other than what you see, the plant roots and grows very well.

What do you folks think?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I corrected this problem in my plants by simply not watering so heavily. Once I stopped drowning the root ball this leaf anomaly ceased.

3 Likes

Really hey? That’s good info. I did notice that when I put it outside it started to clear up and once back in it happened more again.

I got paranoid and killed it, but will be more patient and try some things like keeping the soil dryer next time.
Thanks for responding by the way. Look how long it took LOL :rofl:

2 Likes

it does carry thru … Seems plants can handle mosiac , better than HPLV

3 Likes

I’ve fixed that with a mixture of Hydrogen peroxide and fertilome chelated iron.

I had it once on a plant. I root fed and foliage sprayed it on the plant. Every 3 days.

It cleared up. 2nd Gen it appeared again not bad. Did it again.

3rd Gen it went away for good. :100::dove:

3 Likes

I would definitely caution people to get testing. If you suspect you have a plant with the viroid, get it tested. I also wouldn’t rely on any unproven treatments, especially without testing afterwards to verify that the plant is actually clear.

Keep in mind the name is latent viroid- it presents symptoms when the plant is stressed, and otherwise you might not see any visible signs of infection.

2 Likes