Tobacco Mosasic Virus or just sickly?

Sorry for your loss :disappointed:, I have readen somewhere that an infected plant can give negative in a test and then positive two weeks later. I have bookmarked your post, that answer from Alfonso is gold, you can see the importance of detection and it also provides the tools to get rid of it.

I have detected some negationists here in OG, speaking that it’s only variegation, but it’s spreading fast with clones and cuttings sent and even seeds, I may panic just seeing possible cases but just the idea of losing the entire crop entitles me to do at least a friendly warning …

Thanks for sharing that precious info, hope testing is more easier and available, it will help to contain the spreading … beer3|nullxnull

4 Likes

Wow, those are some rare a$$ seeds! That was one of the first BOG strains I grew out (I think it was the second) back in the day.

How many total do you have? Are you planning to do an open pollination at any point (to help preserve the strain)?

There’s been confirmed cases of beet curly top virus on cannabis plants:

In 2019, beet curly top virus (BCTV) was first reported in hemp in Colorado. Hence, we were motivated to understand the diversity and prevalence of BCTV strains infecting hemp in Colorado. We detected BCTV at high incidence rate (81%) in leaf samples from 12 counties.

But most importantly:

Virome analysis revealed the presence of both virus and viroid sequences that had high nucleotide sequence identity with GenBank accessions for cannabis cryptic virus, cannabis sativa mitovirus, citrus yellow vein associated virus, opuntia-like virus and hop latent viroid. In contrast, tobacco streak virus sequences were highly variable compared to sequences in GenBank suggesting a possible new genotype of this virus.

And then another study confirming Tobacco Necrosis Virus in cannabis

In an RNA-seq experiment conducted on a diseased Colombian Cannabis sativa hemp plant, we identified a linear single-stranded RNA (ssRNA) genome belonging to Tobacco Necrosis Virus A (TNVA), a common cause of necrotic lesions in plants such as tobacco and tulipa. The affected Cannabis sativa hemp plant exhibited severe symptoms, including alterations in pigmentation, leaf morphology such as chlorosis, necrotic tissue formation, and surface wear on the leaves.

Where the decriminalization and legalization of C. sativa for medical (Israel) and recreational (in some USA states) use have taken place, cultivated areas have increased, leading to favorable conditions for the spread of new viral infections. Lettuce chlorosis virus (LCV) was identified as a causal agent of leaves yellowing and stunted growth in Israel, symptoms that were previously only associated with nutrition deficiencies. In the USA, apical leaf deformations have been correlated with the presence of beet curly top virus (BCTV).

Not everyone can afford to do genetic sequencing on possible infected plants, so until science can catch up… I would ask myself if it’s really worth running the risks of keeping said plant. It could pop negative for TMV or HLVD, yet have LCV. We don’t know yet if these viruses transmit through seed or not too.

I brought this all up to the geneticist who I suspected of providing the host plant and he thankfully confirmed that he hadn’t had a viroid in any of his cultivation spaces. He then released a bro-science collectable card after closing my ticket, which I took personally.

5 Likes

Any insect thats sucking on your plants and walking through the juice dribble and walking it on thier feet all over your plants is a potential vector of viruses Aphids Thrips Ect I meant think about it thier like little dirty syringes too with thier mouth probiscus they aint wiping thier mouth in between meals

4 Likes

Ive plucked a lotta leaves on the main one. But these are a few of the plants that have it. Jb

Nothings moving on these leaves. But these white dots are present on the under leaf on like 2 leaves.

2 Likes

Those are a bit established for it to be the same cause as mine, it seems. Hard to get a good view of your white dots, but I’d do ipm in the mean time and monitor closely.

Here are my emperor haze ix that are showing something similar but I’ll keep you informed on if/when they grow out of it. All others have on my end. Wishing you luck!

2 Likes

Youve had plants grow out of it?

I noticed this a few weeks ago. But ive had variegation before so I wasnt alarmed. Just not getting a ton of love.

But today it caught my attention more than normal. Idk I hope they grow out of it.

Thankfully the best plant from this first selection looks perfect. But the other 2 are pretty hit with this stuff. So ill definitely give em a chance.

2 Likes

How easy are those branches to push down? I don’t really see anything that would have me overly concerned viroid wise from your pics.

6 Likes

The plants all seem fairly healthy. They need to be up potted. It was just an abnormal amount of variegation. Might be overthinking it. I hope!

Thanks for sharing, this one looks affected, I sincerely think there’s no bugs behind this “variegation” :roll_eyes:, you can also see crinkle borders:

You should separate and quarantine the ones showing these symptoms and watch their progression, if it’s finally a virus it could contaminate the rest of the crop …

Variegation normally it’s seen on half of the blade or leaf:

2 Likes

Do these virus’s transfer to a plants seeds?
I’ve got seeds from a few corners of the world from growers idk too well or at all in some cases.

Should I be concerned about virus’s?

Edit…I wasn’t sure abouts this being variegated

I’ve not seen it since but I expect it’ll all colour up?

1 Like

Apparently yes, but this info is from a lab that makes analysis so no scientific approach:

I always wash my seeds in peroxide just in case, there’s plenty of patogens out there … :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

This shits stressing me the fuck out.

The small clone is a very important plant to me…

1 Like

I’m sorry for stressing you out :expressionless:, but they look both infected, if possible you should test them because my diagnostic is only based on suspicions, you should look for more certainity before taking further steps … :roll_eyes:

Captura

3 Likes

No you’re perfectly fine. Id rather be stressed than completely in the dark. Thats when I get really stressed :joy:. Ie yesterday.

If this one plants truly infected atleast she was pollenated this run.

Yeah I cant afford a test at the moment sadly.

I set up a make shift quarantine area in the meantime.

I appreciate everyone so much…

2 Likes

What is the thing I circled? It’s hard to tell from the pic but it looks like it could be a thrip.

Here’s a close up pic of a thrip I took a while ago:
(the pic is zoomed in about 50x so they are obviously nowhere near that big to the naked eye)

1 Like

Im not doing an open pollination but I am selecting males and pollenating them individually each run.

Ive never understood the open pollination idea. It may take a bit more time to do a run for each male… but well worth it in the end.

But yes I have my first 2 batches of seeds ripening up right now. These 3 plants are the queens in the garden so far.

3 Likes

I noticed when I feed the plant more food this anomoly goes away somewhat. it seems like the plants are really strain dependent on the amount of food you need to give it. Just my 2 pennys of bro science.

1 Like

Ill be doing tests as soon as I can. Any recommendations for affordable tests that include mentioned possibilities?

1 Like

Yeah the thing is… a latent virus will show up when a plant is unhealthy. Latent. So it makes everything very hard to determine.

2 Likes