Tony Greens Tortured Beans

both their pack and my pack that im refrencing for the herms are from the buy here so both 10 packs.

i do also have a gold pack with 20ish plus but i havnt tried any from it yet :crossed_fingers:. i do have some gorilla bubble bx2 growing though that i got as freebies with it

5 Likes

Ya hugh possess me off. It’d be nice to know which mom pheno is the most trouble.

You probably have a better chance at winning the lottery than getting all herms out the rest of the gold packs.

Hope you can stomach to pop the rest. We know there’s gonna be intersex from the gg4 but hopefully you can judge by the keeper and not the cull.

I’m up front about intersex and I don’t try to blame the grower. I’d just double check all of my controls and keep looking.

Dankcat had an led light that stayed on dimly for hours after it was shut off. I suggest folks go sit in their room when it’s dark and wait 10 or 15 minutes for their eyes to fully adjust and see how dark it is. Most don’t go that far but should especially in tents because every one I’ve owned has had leaks. Even built rooms can sometimes surprise ya. That’s not to you just grow advice in general bro.

I’m not God so all I can do is do my best to make good genetics and be up front with folks. Here’s hoping you find a killer.

Those gold packs used multiple males and females if those are the originals from last year. That keeper mom was reversed for the fem gb that came out this year.
This OG run was an entirely different set of plants.
Not to say youll find an intersex plant but you’ll get the fire your thinking of out of there too so.

17 Likes

I’ll also add the breeding scheme avoided inbreeding depression but they’re usually hungry plants and I’ve seen some sensitivity to high heat, intense light or built up ec which makes it tricky because they’ll be hungry and you’re probably gonna be pushing it to keep em happy, they like going right to the edge but not over.

They do not like being topped and flipped immediately either I’ve found. Even lollipopping I prefer to to 7 to maybe ten days before flipping. When I stress test that’s one of the easier ways I root em out besides root manipulation.

Pm I’ve had a report or two of outside plants but tons of no issues so hard to say there. It was a wet year too.

Nobodies reported budrot.

That’s about the run down.

21 Likes

Appreciate your work @Tonygreen !!!

4 Likes

started to use an "inoculant: promix has one - at present use Dynomyco (incoulant) helps root development - Thanks for your informartion !!!

1 Like

I have to admit, as you started the GG4 RIL Grow Show seed run, I was expecting your GG4 RIL beans to be stable, with virtually zero hermi issues after you answered this question from @Seamonkey84

But after seeing @Chronickyle’s results, and hearing about the other grower who got a high hermi rate from the same batch we all got, I’m afraid to pop them now :grimacing:. Perhaps I’m even more gun shy because I’ve just had a majorly disappointing hermi experience with a full pack of Junky Seed Genetics’ Wedding Cake.

One thing is for sure - if I do pop them, I’ll be extra vigilant to keep an eye out for hermies, and thank the grow gods if I get a keeper lady out of the pack. It only takes one!

8 Likes

Just flipped my RIL gold packs. 8 plants.
Will find out in a couple of week.
I picked up cheap blackout curtains on amazon to cover the light leaks in my crappy iPower tent.
-A while back I was doing something low on the outside of the tent; when I glanced up the tent was looking like the night sky in the Nevada desert.
-Dozens and dozens of micro pinholes.

6 Likes

For what it’s worth I’ve grown out 4 females from a gold 2020 RIL pack and a friend of mine has grown out 2 with no intersex issues, males were culled early though.

4 Likes

Idk how many herms you qualify out of 1500 seeds to be a herm filled line?

Let me know what’s acceptable to you and I’ll tell you if you should pop them or not.

1 Like

You can Google ways to fix it according to individual taste and standards. Most people don’t even bother to check lol. Every tent is the same these days pretty much.

2 Likes

What do you guys think is normal % intersex in general in a cannabis line?

Some of you guys pay 500 a pack for shit so I’m curious to know what you get out of them 500 packs?

7 Likes

I always thought and read that hermies could be created by condition. If that’s true, it would be congruent with ability to make it happen oneself. If this ability is stronger than a strains characteristics, we have no basis to operate from. But that said, i have never had a hermie in 30 years of growing, I don’t know why. I’m sloppy, unorganized and generally not operating under optimum conditions.
My plants face FL bugs, sun and wind rains that knock them over regular. But no hermies. I am willing to try anything to learn, but this is something that puzzles me. Why.
After thinking about it I realize I may never have known about a hermie if it went full male before I saw it, only in woods once a week or so.

1 Like

honestly Ive never cared to worry about light leaks and total darkness. the plants dint get total darkness outside and if a few pinholes cause that shit to go intersex, then I don’t want it.

9 Likes

I don’t believe in light leaks. I grow and pollen chuck with light leaks. Unless it’s a constant bright light. I’ve been in lightning so bad that everything around me went completely white. Thought I got struck and died for a few seconds. So I strongly believe light leaks are a myth. Otherwise, all kinds of outdoor would herm throughout every storm.

8 Likes

Firstly, I never said anything about a “herm filled line”. I was merely repeating what someone else had just posted, and quoting what you had previously said: “I’d be pretty silly to breed a herm line for 8 years…”

From what has already been described to you, 2 growers who got the same seeds as me (from your GG4 RIL seed run) got one apparent female from their 2 packs… That’s 1 out of 20 that aren’t hermies or males. Those are real numbers experienced by experienced growers using the same seeds that I have.

I know you’ve recently said to expect 5% hermies, but for some growers, the actual numbers are nothing close to 5%…

As I said, if I do pop them, I’ll just be extra vigilant in my efforts to identify hermies, and pray I get at least one keeper lady. If that happens, I’ll be very happy.

9 Likes

On the subject, there are many reasons a plant will herm. Depends on the plants ability to balance out its fluctuation of ethylene and gibberellin under stress. I’ve cause intersex by starvation, Overfeeding, too much PK, too cold of temps, VPD fluctuations/improper VPD, not backing off feeds before flush, flashing diodes. Every plant will respond to stress differently. So it’s not the breeders fault, as much as the plants individuality. There are like 200 different fluctuations of these hormones than can cause intersex. We can’t stress test them all. Lol.

5 Likes

I ran 5 citral glue from Ethos before I knew better about two yrs ago, and four out of five hermed hard in the third week of flowering. So far out of 22 TG GB crosses I have two that were chopped due to a few (3) sterile male flowers after my power went out for two days. My 12 Sowah Grapefruit are all solid and I’ve been watching them as always. Be vigilant and carry on!

4 Likes

and for @Chronickyle’s reference :yum:

I’m that guy, unfortunately, and yes, the growshow RIL males I grew out from that 10-pack threw some calyx’s on the top nodes with hairs popping out, after a week or two of producing nothing but balls all over it. That’s to go with all the girls that sprouted balls on the first node of every branch after putting out calyx’s with hairs everywhere else for a week beforehand.

I still got the Gold pack that I’m holding out hope for though… they’ll get ran at some point here :+1:

13 Likes

Ya so you quoted me so I’m asking you how many herms out of 1500 you think is an average rate?

I’ll tell you one thing, run 500 of my gear next to 500 of seedjunky gear and I’ll bet you get more value out of mine. Where is his thread where he shows parents and answers questions I might have missed it.

I’m not sure if you understand much of statistics and probability work but if I said 5% or 10% that doesn’t mean every single person will get .5 or 1 per 10.
I’m not god. I’ve passed out like 3 all male packs in 10 years too. Good thing the wrong guy didn’t get 1 of those.

I’d just get rid of that pack if I was you, quit agonizing over it and go chase seed junky down for some retribution.

12 Likes

lol…in fact, I do understand statistics quite well, thank you.

@Tonygreen, I can see I’ve struck a nerve with my posts, but that wasn’t my intention. I’m just adding commentary to someone else’s post who got 1 apparent female out of his pack, and his mentioning of another grower who got 100% hermies out of his:

But if I’m being totally honest with you, when you had this exchange with @Seamonkey84:

…I regret that your answer didn’t include your claim of 5% hermies.

Haha…I’m not agonizing over anything, but thank you for checking out my Wedding Cake thread. Yeah, it’s a bummer about what happened there. Unfortunately, I wasn’t aware that some of Junky Seeds Genetics’ gear was filled with hermie issues until it was too late. Fortunately, 30 of us pitched in to acquire those seeds, so the pain was spread thinner than if all of it came out of my pocket. I guess you could say my Wedding Cake thread was my retribution. When you Google Seed Junky Genetics herm - it’s the top result. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

6 Likes