Trehalose what is it? How does it effect plant growth? How does it help with stress such as salt, drought or freezing?

While contemplating this whole thing @Upstate and @Guitarzan come to mind.
You and your crazy freak sativa/narrow leaf buddies may find this interesting.
My man @tamimes here is testing out how a sugar can help slow stretch.
It is in its infancy but thought you folks may be interested in following along.
It is starting to get interesting…

@LD50 have you seen this yet???

1 Like

Very interesting, thank you for the wave over here @shag.

GPT-4:

• The study aims to find sustainable alternatives to chemical PGRs for controlling plant compactness in greenhouses. It investigates the effects of –DIF, extended nights, and trehalose spray on plant morphology, biomass accumulation, and starch metabolism in Arabidopsis. The research questions focus on the treatments’ impact on leaf and petiole elongation, biomass accumulation, and starch content. The study uses a new index, the overlap index, as an indicator of plant structure, and applies it to plants under different treatments.

In summary, the hypotheses for this study are:

• DIF will result in shorter leaves and petioles, leading to a more compact plant with a larger overlap index.

• DIF will affect the carbohydrate metabolism and cause carbohydrate starvation before dawn, leading to reduced starch content in source leaves at the end of the night, slower growth rate, and lower biomass accumulation.

• Extended night treatment will cause carbohydrate starvation at the end of the night, leading to repressed leaf elongation, reduced leaf area, leaf number, and overlap index, as well as lower biomass accumulation.

• Trehalose treatment will inhibit starch breakdown, resulting in higher starch content in source leaves at the end of the day but lower soluble sugar availability for plant growth. This will lead to slower growth, lower leaf number, and smaller leaf area, but with a stronger starch storage function. However, the final biomass accumulation will still be lower due to the reduced growth rate.

• The overlap index after treatments could provide insights into whether the plant structure was changed by the treatments, leading to a more compact plant.

DIF Experiment

• The influence of DIF on plant growth and morphology was evaluated by comparing plants grown under +DIF and -DIF conditions. Leaf elongation was significantly suppressed under -DIF conditions, resulting in shorter leaves compared to those grown under +DIF conditions. The petiole/leaf ratio was also found to be smaller under -DIF, and the detached leaf area was larger, leading to a more compact plant structure with a higher overlap index.

Extended Night Experiment

• Comparing the plants exposed to an extended night treatment to those in normal night conditions revealed a significant inhibition of growth. The extended night plants had a reduced leaf area, leaf number, and overlap index, indicating that the additional dark period negatively affected growth and biomass accumulation.

Trehalose Spray Experiment

• The influence of trehalose spray on plant growth and morphology was evaluated by comparing plants treated with different concentrations of trehalose solution (40 mM, 20 mM, and 10 mM) and a sorbitol control group. Trehalose-treated plants exhibited slower growth rates and had fewer leaves and smaller leaf areas compared to control plants. Despite increased starch storage in trehalose-treated plants, their final biomass accumulation was lower due to the reduced growth rate.

RESULTS:

The study investigated the effects of different treatments on Arabidopsis plants, such as varying concentrations of trehalose and sorbitol, extended nights, and DIF (difference in day and night temperatures). The findings of the study are summarized below:

• In the 10mM trehalose and sorbitol treatment, the leaf was significantly longer in plants treated with 10mM sorbitol compared to those treated with the same concentration of trehalose. The P/L (petiole/leaf length) ratio showed no major differences between the two treatments.

• In the 20mM trehalose (combined with 10mM trehalose) treatment, the effect on leaf length appeared to be different for older leaves compared to younger leaves. However, no significant differences were observed in the P/L ratio, average rosette area, detached leaf area, overlap index, total leaf number, and dry/fresh weight ratio between the two treatments.

• Regarding biomass accumulation, four treatments – -DIF, extended night, 40mM trehalose, and 10mM trehalose – resulted in reduced dry weight compared to their respective controls. Plants treated with 20mM trehalose had higher dry weight than their controls.

• Starch content analysis showed that source leaves always had higher starch content than sink leaves. In the DIF treatment, the starch level under +DIF was always higher than under -DIF. In the extended night treatment, lower starch content was observed in both sink and source leaves. In the 40mM trehalose treatment, a reduction in starch content was observed in both sink and source leaves. In the 10mM trehalose treatment, an increase in starch levels was observed in both sink and source leaves during day and night.

1 Like

Hmmm?
Weigh 3,423 grams of trehalose and add it to 1 liter of water… :rofl:
Now that I wanna see…WTF GPT-4:???

@LD50 I was hoping to find that article on -Dif, thanks buddy.
@OldUncleBen pointed out -Dif works to limit stretch VIA starch starvation.
This paper seems to confirm that statement.
So it seems @OldUncleBen really does know his shit… :star_struck:
I am not surprised.

I have to re-read things here, but it would seem Trehalose in combination with -Dif could be beneficial in relieving the starch starvation caused by -Dif.
This may or may not help with stretch.

1 Like

I did not even do basic fact checking of that math, but either way I do see it’s 3.423 and not 3,423!

1 Like

Sorry if it seemed like I was giving you shit.
I was giving GPT-4 shit.
It is supposed to be smarter than all of us put together.
I have seen it make several mistakes since its inception.
Anyway sorry to offend if I did. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Have you done any experiments @shag ?

For starts, I intend to grow healthy good looking plants, meaning, plants with excellent, robust leaf and root systems, lots of mass. Bud production is in the noise zone. It will come if you concentrate on the right STUFF culturally and botanically.

I may have mentioned this already but ALL plant material…am talking cannabis, fruit trees, grapes, legumes, veggies, nut trees…everything, does better when you have a good differential between day time highs and night lows.

I’ve gardened in all kinds of places, the most striking change was when I moved from a very balmy “oven” along the Gulf coast of South Texas to the hill country, the latter being at an elevation of 1,500 to 2,300. Stuff where I am now just grows “twice as fast and twice as big” compared to the “oven” I was living in years ago. Hell, even in June you couldn’t enjoy a cup of coffee outdoors because the heat index was around 95F or so at sunrise!

Bottom line - when you have a limited DIF the plant material tends to burn the carbos it made during the day to the process of respiration as opposed to tissue production. Chlorophyll density, as visually “measured” by sight, me reading my plants, also is enhanced during a period of good DIF.

Speaking of the “noise zone”, worrying about the stretch is also in the noise zone. Deal with it via training, topping, use of PGR’s, choosing pure indicas, etc. Speaking of indicas, there is NO stretch with plants like Deep Chunk which I have and am now finishing out.

Uncle Ben

3 Likes

I have done some trials and testing, but I have not done a proper side by side experiment with control if that is what you are asking.

This is all based on sound science.
If you have the time and space help us out give Trehalose a try and let us know how it works out for you.

1 Like

I may have to give it a try. Sounds like a novel way of controlling height?

1 Like

Among other things…LOL

1 Like

Sounds like a panacea!

Where you guys getting it, I’m finding mostly just research articles about it?

This should be pretty cheap…

1 Like

Thanks man, I’m honestly curious to try it as a sugar substitute too :joy:

1 Like

@shag as you know im doing some testing" how to beat the hplvd"
I try to save my grow system that i developed in the last years this is after i had full blown hplvd in december, and lost all my elite motherplants.
We can not cure hplvd so to save my grow style i came up with
" how to out run hplvd"
all these plants are infected with this viroid ( i planted them in between the hplvd plants and im using recirculating ebb and and flow, but only 2 plants stunted and 3 had hplvd hairy small buds only on the lowest part of the plants, but the head bud is "normal "
Now i will continue testing with trehalose and chitosan
Here some pics harvest 1 week early because my other test sets are getting to big

these are te smaller plants

3 Likes

Here the bigger ones

3 Likes

Looks to me like you out ran the virus.
Nice work!
Keep us posted on the future results.

Thank you again
Shag

3 Likes

Yes these are planten in the worst case scenario and result is very good in 2 -3 weeks is the next set ready and looking even better now im testing them with trehalose and chitosan so let see if i can surpress hplvd even more and when results are in i will start with everything new so 0 hplvd and then i should have no problems anymore by using my protcol (that i tested in the worst case scenario :wink:)

2 Likes

Im sprayed some hplvd infected clones with the trehalose chito msg mix and the clone/plants are growing big strong and dark green looks very promising lets see what the do in flower
I have 3 already in flower and these are much better than before​:wink::ok_hand:

3 Likes

@shag here are the plants 1week to 10 days before harvest .( test set #2)
These are all hplvd test plants that are sprayed 2x trehalose and msg and 1 x chito,treha, msg , and 1x chito ,msg,salicylic these are other strains but a huge difference in stickiness
The stickiness is not normal defoliating today my fingers are all glued up

7 Likes

That is impressive. :star_struck:
A whole team of solo-cup winners too.
My compliments to the chef. :drooling_face:
Nice work!
Thanks for all the details of the experiment, I wish more folks would try this. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes