TrevorLahey's Trailer Park 2020

So I noticed MegaCrop is much better for veg than the Maxi (go figure…lol) so have been using it for the first few weeks. I cant tell you a specific gram amount but I mix in about 85% of the scoop it comes with and dump that into a 5gal bucket that is 95% full and it comes out at about 1.5ec which is what I’m going with now.

Unfortunately I’m quite low on the megacrop so today I switched these girls to 1.8ec of maxibloom which I’ve found to be an adequate dose.

9 Likes

Ya it’s really been a perfect veg nute for me lately at 1.25g with .5g Epsom and .5ml of calimagic per liter. Like bulletproof for all my varied plants every feeding. That same recipe is slaying for first two weeks of flower for me too, then week 3 on things get murky and the experimentation begins haha

I’ve got some small tester phenos at like week 4 that I’ve been giving that blend to out of sheer laziness and I gotta say they look really great and are frosting up very well. I think I’m gonna simplify and just use this as my ‘base’ then maybe a simple PK booster on top weeks like 5-8.

I’m using this whole goddamn bag one way or the other 🤷

11 Likes

I’ve noticed much less cal/mag issues with the mega vs maxi but theres still a little bit of symptoms from time to time, particularly in weeks 2 and 4, but in flower I find even the maxi doesnt need a calmag supplement.

Since you dont have an EC meter you probably dont realize it but calmag accounts for about 1/3 of your total EC and plants will straight up lock themselves out at higher EC, even if “you cant overfeed calmag”.

So any calmag I’ve been adding has been sporadic, or even to top up my EC while mixing instead of adding more base nute.

Sounds like we have pretty similar plans for nutrition this round eh? I too plan on adding some PK booster with next feeding as long as the plants are still healthy then.

7 Likes

Thanks for the CalMag tip, you’re right, they have recovered fine and look uniform, willing to see them full of buds Pirata|nullxnull , nice job done … :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Ya I think it’s called the ‘sick of this crap’ nutrient plan haha, I think we’ve been dealing with the same issues.

I downloaded this nutrient calculator spreadsheet

http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/fourtwenty/articles/download.htm

I just plugged things in and tried for numbers similar to jacks, maxi grow, and a couple other ‘industry standards’. It does seem like alot of calcium and mag to me too, but no issues whatsoever so far. I will actually still see the odd cal deficiency rusty spots on an older leaf in veg.

I’m in straight coco btw.

8 Likes

Day 43

So packed, gonna have to defoliate soon.

Accidentally half killed a couple a plants from letting them go too long before watering. Saved em but not as happy as the rest.

And things are coming along on the no-dig bed

20200518_154226_resized(1)

Still need a dozen or so bags of compost but I think it came together nicely. Bottom layer is my own garden compost/old potting mix+perlite. Middle layer is peat moss, top layer is seafood compost. There should be plenty of nutrition in there for now, and I have dry amendments for top dressing and teas when things really take off.

15 Likes

All filled up!!

17 Likes

That’s one nice looking bed, and yard.
You must be proud after doing such great (and hard) work.

On the nute subject. I was bored and ran some numbers. These are all based on US gallons.

Personally. On a few grows, I’ve had the issue of too much K (and N) causing issues with MG/K/Ca. Coco contains some K and N. (both can vary greatly with what coco and how prepped) If i remember right, it happened weeks 3-5weeks-ish after flip.

MC high K.
Boosters have K.
Sweet Candy has K.
(Easy to OD on K in coco, if not careful)

Also, in response to deficiencies - I’ve made the mistake of overloading with CA/Mg - only to induce further issues with K. I assume - a result of no bueno ratios of K/Mg/Ca.

Jacks A/B. @ 3/2/0 grams per gallon.
A-Jacks-3-2-0

11 Likes

Well that’s the nicest damn trailer park I’ve seen

4 Likes

Ayy thanks guys! It’s been pretty easy so far the hardest part was sourcing compost since our local waste management facility (which normally gives compost away for free) has been closed to the public due to Covid-19.

My own personal compost was the result of 5 or so years of garden clippings, used potting soil/coco, leaves and rotting weed plants. Theres still plenty of it but since I wasnt sure if it was any good yet I decided on the more costly route and purchased 10 bags of lobster/crab compost and 10 bags of cow manure compost to add to what I already had.

Works out to be about 1.5inches of my own compost, then 2 inches of peat moss, then an inch of seafood compost, then an inch of cow manure compost. Basically a layer cake lol. I have no idea if it will work but there should be lots or nutrition in there now.

@GramTorino very useful info as always. I’m still unsure of what I want to do long term as far as nutrition for my indoor coco grow. I’m seriously considering just going back to Megacrop as the maxi/flora and lucas formula has been giving me early troubles and Mega seems to alleviate those troubles so idk…

7 Likes

Get yourself some clover and sow a cover crop. It will help retain moisture, fight weeds, and provide nitrogen fixation.
:+1::seedling:

7 Likes

I tried to source clover but it’s just not easily available here (?) The garden centers have little packets with just a few seeds in it for $5 each. I’ve actually been searching for it locally since before I even built the bed :frowning:

6 Likes

This type should grow all over the place out there in Sunnyvale. Crappy stock pic but I’m sure you recognize it

flowering-red-clover-crop-mixed-with-ryegrass-for-nitrogen-fixation-ajgh9y

4 Likes

Oh yeah dont get me wrong it’s all over the place including my yard, just not flowering or seeded yet. So not as easy as just buying some seed.

I called the local greenhouse they have some red clover in stock but also just small packs.

3 Likes

Hey @TrevorLahey glad to see ya making raised beds you’ll be happy with them a little tip from SFG I puckrd up reading Mel bartholomew book is to not make beds any wider (depth ) than 4 feet that way you can easily reach in from any side and pull weeds in the center or do maintenance based on arm length of most individuals make it as long as ya want! Looking forward to the progress !

I have a 4x4 garden that’s only 4 inches deep over the years the native soil underneath will continue to get better every year with the worms working the soil

A pic of today’s garden 15 ‘ out my back door

this is made with 2x4

5 Likes

Entire weeds can be pulled with ease

4 Likes

Be sure to check out the slightly warped split pieces of of long pieces at your Home Depot (barging bin ) you can often get them on the cheap and cut off the stuff you don’t want they often can do it for you right in the spot free of charge!

3 Likes

The bed is no wider than 4.75 feet at any spot and I’ve tested to make sure I can work around it. Can also put a plank across the middle if needed to get deep in there.

As for my method I have been following Charles Dowding’s no-dig methodology. He has really taken the concept of permaculture and tweaked it to be a scalable system. I am just starting out with this but it’s so easy to get into.

Charles doesnt use a cover crop, I imagine that’s due to how busy his beds are. Hes really picky about disturbing the soil in any way other than to (gently) harvest his root crops like potatoes or when adding new compost at the end of the season. In this system weeds become an afterthought as the initial cardboard layer and proper mulching create an environment not conducive to weed growth.

I do plan on making a couple more beds for autos, making them a bit deeper and with a modified hugelculture method. I have tons of lumber here I could build 100 beds if I wanted to lol.

It took a crazy amount of soil to build this main bed it’s about 8 inches deep at its deepest point I reckon it took about 6 cubic yards by the time it was filled.

10 Likes

Does he have books available would like to check it out

4 Likes

I like to Dick around with different methods if ya haven’t been able to tell ! Lol

2 Likes